Thread: Strained a lower back muscle doing squats this morning.

Hybrid View

Strained a lower back muscle doing squats this morning.

Ouch.

I'm finding my 15,10,5 maxes this week so that i can begin doing another cycle of HST soon (it's been a while since i tried it last). So, i start my first exercise (Squats). I load up 135lbs as a warmup and all goes fine. Then i load up 185 and all is well. Finally i load up 225 for my "work set" and about the 8th rep i leaned too far forward and could feel the stress on my lower back. Instead of stopping i grunted out my last two reps. I knew that i pulled/strained something as soon as it happened, but since my body was so warm it wasn't really bothering me much. Now that i've been at work and sitting for an hour, it's starting to hurt. The worst part is that i'm supposed to be back Friday finding my 5 rep maxes (which will obviously be even heavier than todays load). I don't know how the hell i'm going to manage if my back doesn't feel a whole lot better by then. Looks like i might be wearing a belt for the first time on friday.

Anyone got any tips to help speed my recovery?

Ice it 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off when you're at home. Use Ben Gay or something similar while at work (odorless of course) and again when you're at home. Take ibuprofen every 3-6 hours ( depending on type and dosage) and rest it up. About 4 weeks ago I thought I tore my pec or shoulder or something, thing hurt like a sum'bitch. Hurt it on a Saturday doing speed bench work and had to bench heavy on that Wednesday. On Monday, I could barely move or flex my pec/shoulder without pain. I started the regimen I listed above and had no problems when it came time to go heavy. Oh yeah, when you go after your 5s, put a HEAVY dose of Ben Gay on for the workout and keep the area wrapped in between sets to maintain warmth. Good luck. If it starts to strain while you're lifting, STOP and rest it. Don't fu*k with your back, or it will fu*k with you worse.tuttut

Cue-ball, this may not be the answer you're looking for but I'm saying this from my experience. I did the same thing a few months ago. As you're suggesting I didn't take time off to recover and as a result my back was killing me for a month which made me finally take two weeks off. The result? Some lousy workouts in the meantime and longer recovery time. My advice is, if it is still bothering you, rest.

:withstupi
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

Thanks for your responses, guys.

I took some ibuprofin earlier (didn't help) and i've been trying to keep the muscle warm and relaxed. It's not too bothersome unless i walk around. Sitting is fine but when i walk it hurts to put my left foot down. This is not good. I've got my SO getting some hot/cold packs for me so i can do alternating treatments when i get off work. I'm going to take a couple more ibuprofen in another hour or so and will try to take it easy tonight. Tomorrow is a rest day so hopefully between sleeping tonight and no workout tomorrow i'll feel better. If i don't feel much better by Friday i'll just have to guesstimate my 5RM's for squat/SLDL and then do my upper body exercises as planned. I'm actually going to go right into the 15's instead of doing an SD next week (just did one last week). Hopefully since i'll be doing higher reps at lower weight my back will have plenty of time to fully recover by the time i get back to the heavier weights. So much for my plan of jumping rope for 1/2 hour tomorrow morning. <sigh>

Good thing i got sex last night 'cause i prolly won't be able to tonight.
    teh ownz joo all 4 free! if joo don't like it, you is teh GHEY!
    -Voodazz