Thread: How do you deal with bad mood?

Wannabebig New Member FrankieTowers's Avatar

How do you deal with bad mood?

Hi guys and girls!

I've been training for years and one thing that always presents an obstacle for me in terms of performance and strength is having a bad mood. Whenever I feel sad, angry or frustrated by something happening with my life, my strength and performance are considerably affected.

One thing that helps me a bit is music. But that doesn't always work.

How do you guys deal with having a bad mood? What has worked for you?
    Used to weigh 120 lbs (ectomorph)
    Now up to 175 lbs (mostly pure muscle)

I just channel all of that energy into focus and drive in the gym. The iron house is my place of solitude, I take out alot of feelings in there and when you leave you feel a lot better.. hell the last time i went into the gym angry i squat 495 x 12 ATG lol
    Last edited by tcooper; 12-19-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Never been in a good mood... so i have no idea.
    Last edited by Judas; 12-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.

When something is really bothering me I'll meditate regularly and it helps a lot.

If I'm in a bad mood in the gym, I focus all my emotion on the weight. Get pissed off when you squat.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

If your moods that significantly effect your workouts I propose you should consider seeing someone. Short of a major emotional trauma like a close family member dying there should not be that significant of an effect. It sounds like your moods are exaggerated and perhaps medication etc. is in order.

By the way, to be clear, I am not saying this to be mean.
    Last edited by chris mason; 12-19-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Wannabebig New Member FrankieTowers's Avatar
    Thank you all for your tips! I appreciate it.

Channeling anger in my workout works most of the time, but it doesn't work the same way with sadness and other bad feelings.

@chris mason - Nah, it's not that bad. It's not often that I go to the gym in a bad mood. It happens rarely, but I was just wondering what some of you do to get over it during your workout. Thanks for your concern though.
    Used to weigh 120 lbs (ectomorph)
    Now up to 175 lbs (mostly pure muscle)

hate to be the ass hole here but ask yourself is your life or problem really that much of a big deal, You have the disposable income to make it to the gym, pay a membership, an actual gym to train in with decent equipment and obviously enough food and time to lend to making training a big part of your life by the sounds of it.

Not everybody has these luxuries. Its the way I think whenever I feel like im losing sight of a goal or letting emotions get in the way of something as important to me as training. Puts things into perspective very quickly. Now go kick some ass in the weight room. Self improvement is a beautiful thing.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieTowers View Post
    Hi guys and girls!

I've been training for years and one thing that always presents an obstacle for me in terms of performance and strength is having a bad mood. Whenever I feel sad, angry or frustrated by something happening with my life, my strength and performance are considerably affected.

You could try listening to some music that you enjoy or that gives you energy, reading a motivational article/book, or simply drink some caffeine or other stimulant to get you going.

Remember that training should be a stress-reliever and should not make your issues any worse.

One thing that has helped me is to adjust my training based on how I feel. When I feel very energetic and strong I will increase the volume and intensity of my training, but if I am feeling tired then I will typically adjust down the volume/intensity and just look to get in a decent session.

Hope this helps...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    When I get into a bad mood, there are several ways I try to get out of it. Training is my first choice. If I'm in a really bad mood, I'll load the bar with a lighter weight than normal and try to get a lot of reps. Music is my second choice. If that doesn't work, and depending on what time of day it is, I'll sit in a church and try to pray. Sometimes watching a funny show on TV or the computer helps ( 'In Living Color' re-runs (no joke)). Try different things. Perhaps talking to a professional could be a choice for you.
    Last edited by bfoley; 12-27-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    You need to ask yourself, "Is this bad mood only before working out or thourghout the day?" If you are feeling "bad" at least once 3-4 days per week, I would encourage you to see a Dr about starting an antidepressant.

Frankie,

I usually train with a goal in mind. Whether it was for a power lifting competition or a bodybuilding shows. I personally think everyone should train for something so they can stay focus on your goal at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieTowers View Post
    Hi guys and girls!

This might not sound like the best advice but I've found smoking weed to be really great at getting over bad moods. If something happens I just smoke a little weed and I literally care about nothing. This is the reason a lot of poeple become lazy but I've managed to sort of channel it.

You're absolutely right.

That doesn't sound like the best advice.

In fact, that's some of the worst fucking advice I've ever heard.

Got problems? Get fucked up and forget about 'em. Yeah.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    You're absolutely right.

In other words, actually being a fucking man (assuming no clinical emotional issues).
    Last edited by FearFactory; 01-09-2013 at 01:00 PM.

It sounds that way because in this society we've associted forgetting about your problems as some sort of negative thing but let me give you some examples of how this has worked great for me.

In college I would take test and do my best in class and after I was done with the test I would be so nervous about how well I did. The problem was is that there was nothing I could do about it except wait and see how I did. I already studied as much as I could and did the best I could. So I would smoke and I would literally not even care anymore and just go on about my life. How is that bad? I studied, took the test, and almost always did fine. I just couldn't help but worry about it.

Next example on Xmas day I got into a car wreck that was my fault and in my brand new car (the first time I actually got to go to a dealership and pick the car I wanted) it was undriveable. Everything was closed I couldn't call my insurance company or do anytihng about it. I was so worried about my rates increase, getting to work, just everything thats involved with that situation. So I called my cousin got a ride to the bus station setup and then got high for the rest of the day and was laughing within minutes at the whole situation.

Sometimes there are problems in life that you can't do anything about right then and there. GF leaves you for someone else, and the ones mentioned above. So whats your option? Sit there and worry about them all day? I guess if thats what you want to do sure go ahead. I've decided to get high laugh at some funny tv shows or play some video games and deal with them as soon as I'm able to. It's not a popular opinoion I know that but it's worked great in my life. I have the job of my dreams, and my life is just so perfect now I can't even believe it sometimes. I went home one day and cried I was so happy with my life. Never in a million years did I ever think that was possible.

Am I saying this is the answer to life and we should all live this way? Of course not. I'm simply giving an example of how I made it through tough times in my life. Were all different and we all find/have different techniques to deal with the problems in our life. Then again I've always been very open minded to different peoples approaches in almost all aspects of life. I figured out long ago I clearly do not have all the answers and I'm always interested in hearing other peoples approaches.
    Last edited by method115; 01-09-2013 at 02:51 PM.

I dont think and just do. If I keep thinking about my moods or why I am upset or if my workout is going to be effected, it will in fact be effected......maybe thats burying your problems, but honestly Ill be damned at this point if I let something interfere with progress.

As for tips on getting through a kind of "sluggish" workout where you feel you are not up to par a stimulant may work to give you a boost. Im cutting heavily right now so I have been bringing in a medium black coffee 15 min before my workout just to give me an extra kick.

You're absolutely right.

Lol, well, it may have its merit. A LOT of people worry to an inordinate degree about relatively small problems. If they can alleviate that unnecessary and unproductive worry then all the better. If he is having marital problems and tries to address them by forgetting them that is totally different.