The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chris Duffin gets hurt but still finishes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA-W...0&feature=plcp

Chris Duffin competed yesterday and got hurt squating but came back and finished the meet. Incrediable.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Impressive, but in my opinion extremely stupid. Here's to a speedy recovery and a healthy return to the platform.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Vid was removed

What did he injure?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Impressive, but in my opinion extremely stupid. Here's to a speedy recovery and a healthy return to the platform.
    I usually end up regretting it when I push myself too hard after an injury. Priorities are different when you're competing in a meet though; last time I competed I had a minor pec tear that I had thought would heal in time. I was in a fair amount of pain, but instead of taking a token light bench, I loaded up on ibuprofen and ended up hitting a personal meet PR. Stupid, yes, worth it, maybe.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Joey it isnt stupid at all that took a ton of heart to do what he did not many have that anymore.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    What did he injure?
    He tore his abbductor Chris
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

You guys think the fact that he squats so wide raw had something to do with that injury, considering what it was he tore?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by larsen540 View Post
    Joey it isnt stupid at all that took a ton of heart to do what he did not many have that anymore.
    Not many have that period. Again, I stated it was impressive. And again , I feel it was really stupid to do.

Just get under the bar!

Given I've done the same thing, I don't think he exacerbated it much with the token conventional deadlift. Damn good for him- that is some serious pain to focus through.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    You guys think the fact that he squats so wide raw had something to do with that injury, considering what it was he tore?
    It may have. That's a good observation for sure.

Just get under the bar!

What was so stupid about it to you? He put himself in no additional danger finishing the meet. Just because you wouldn't have the sack to continue doesn't make it stupid.
    Last edited by Justin Randal; 12-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

Wannabebig New Member
    Here is my reasons for completing the meet

http://blog.kabukiwarrior.com/2012/1...r-give-up.aspx

as for the squat stance. I don't let any raw lifters at my gym train this wide, but it doesn't mean there is additional risk for me doing so. i have some very specific reasons that allow me to do this successfully that I don't feel the need to discuss at this time. It tore as this was a preexisting injury I have been fighting for some time that was initiated from something other than squatting.

Chris Duffin

Video
    Last edited by Kabuki; 12-03-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Randal View Post
    What was so stupid about it to you? He put himself in no additional danger finishing the meet. Just because you wouldn't have the sack to continue doesn't make it stupid.
    I would have gladly entertained your question until I read the last part.

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    Nice work man. Inspiring. Get well soon
    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

Justin, I did not call your friend stupid, I indicated I felt the action was stupid. There is a difference. You obviously cared enough to post an insult towards me, which I simply am not going to respond to. I enjoy the training videos you post here.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Just get under the bar!

Justin, I did not call your friend stupid, I indicated I felt the action was stupid. There is a difference. You obviously cared enough to post an insult towards me, which I simply am not going to respond to. I enjoy the training videos you post here.
    I still don't see what was so stupid about finishing the meet. You could make an argument for having taken the squat in the first place but what we do is inherantly dangerous to begin with. Taking a bench with no leg drive and pulling 143 (Roughly the equivalent of curling a 5# DB) poses no physical threat other than a bit of pain. I just don't see how labeling the decision to continue as "Stupid" makes any sense at all. If anything I find his choice admirable.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!

Best raw lifts:

I think this is a case where it's "Do as I say not as I do". There's no chance in HELL I'd tell a guy who'd hurt himself like that to keep going. I also know there's no chance in hell I'd want to pack it in if it were me. Chris, mad credit to you for finishing what you started. Joey's got a point- you coulda made it a heck of a lot worse (potentially), but... hey. Every time we go out there and lift ANYTHING there's a chance we might not be walking afterwards. The mental consequences to not finishing were worse than the potential physical consequences of continuing on.

Cheers all.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Here is the deal you could get killed crossing the street. And I'm sure someone woukd post something saying that person is stupid. The fact is very few people get hurt and finish what they started. This will be a story that I tell my kids when they tell me they want to quit. Chris could have quit and no one would have said shit to him. The fact is he had a mind set to finish. You know how many times I have cut weight and wanted to quit. Ill tell you what I will read this next time I want to quit and I promise I won't quit.

So I'm sure it was stupid for micheal Jordan to at in a playoff game with the flu against Utah right. No he killed them that game. How bout las year when Ramon rondo broke his elbow and finished the game. How many athletes put it on the line to finish. Not very many people have that drive.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

Rajon Rondo. And Jordan was trolling everyone. Regardless, thanks for keeping the conversation civil. Alex seems to get what I am saying. Chris stated in the video he is a leg drive bencher. So now the lift changes and perhaps he uses a bit more pecs than usual which causes a torn pec. I know deadlifting 143 lbs likely won't be dangerous, but people have thrown out their backs picking up a pencil from the floor. It looked like even that weight was painful as hell. So, now there is little leg strength at all and maybe a disc in the back is one wrong move from blowing out. So, while exacerbating the current injury might not be likely, there seemed to be some potential, or an increased potential to hurt something else. To me it comes down to risk versus reward. There doesn't seem to be much of a reward of needing people carry me out to lift weights not even near my max just to be able to say the meet was finished. Stopping after that squat, immediately attending to the injury, treating it, and rehabbing to come back in the future to do a meet where one would exceed their previous total isn't quitting. It would be......smart.

Just get under the bar!

Joey,

Firstly I apologize for insulting you. Chris is a dear friend and seeing him get injured was very upsetting for me.

That being said I still admire his will to finish and assure you he was in no more danger finishing than the rest of us. Like Adrian said we all take risks daily. Let's just agree to disagree here..

Best raw lifts:

Accepted and I appreciate the reasons you guys have for your opinion as well. They do make sense and I can certainly see where you are coming from. I agree the quality of not giving up is definitely an admirable one.
    Last edited by joey54; 12-05-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig New Member
    Had the MRI this morning and just read the report. AWESOME NEWS!!! Its a partial tear, no avulsion, no ruptures, looks like my quick exit formt he bar saved me from surgery. Time to get it on with rehab!

Good to hear it, man! Looks like it could have been a hell of a lot worse than that!