The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Personal Training

Yes, I know this topic has been discussed in depth already, and yes, I did use the search option and read up on the results, but my situation is somewhat specific. I'm a sophomore in college, and a film major. And I know that when I get out of college, I am definitely going to get into independent filmmaking. But, that's not something you can make a living off of. In fact, it drains money as opposed to being a source of income. So, I need some way to make a living. But I'm not just looking to personal training with naive unforesightedness and without any prior motivation. I am and have been for a long time very interested in the field of fitness. In fact, I would probably get a masters, if not a PhD in Exercise Physiology if it weren't for my stronger passion for film. Right now, there is a Fitness minor offered at my school for which I'm about to start taking classes. If I were to go into personal training, I wouldn't be looking to get rich, just as a way to make a living. There is the idea that you don't really need a degree for filmmaking, whereas for personal training, it would be a good idea. But I've already taken a year and a half of film classes, and it would be too late to start anything other than a minor degree in another field (unless I was willing to stay in college for more than four years), and anyway, I don't know if I'd be willing to put that much time and money into a career field that probably wouldn't even be my main focus. Also, I'm afraid that if I got that involved in the personal training, I wouldn't have the time for filmmaking, which I definitely don't want. Anyway, my question is: Do you think I would be able to make a living being a personal trainer with a minor in fitness, while being able to be in independent filmmaking? Thank you in advance for any response.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good personal trainers can make 70-100$ an hour easily. Crappy ones are lucky to make 10$ an hour at my gym.

You can always make a living at something you are good at.

I'm having trouble understanding why you are majoring in cinema to become an independent film-maker. Do you REALLY need a degree for that if you aren't gonna try to go big?
    If you're motivated enough you can make really good money as a personal trainer. You know those trainers that train celebrities, etc. make bank.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the responses. The reason I'm majoring in film is because I wanted to get a liberal arts education either way, and there are legitimate reasons for getting a film degree even if you are intending on going into independent filmmaking, especially if you're going to college already: a legitimate education, free access to all the university's equipment, and the opportunity to make connections with other film students. Would you be just as well skipping college, and go right into independent filmmaking? Probably, but since I knew I wanted to get a college education anyway, I might as well take advantage of these offerings. Anyway, sorry for that, I just wanted to answer fatrb38's question and explain myself. The problem is, even if I were to give up the film degree immediately and switch to a degree in exercise physiology, I would have to spend even more time in college (and subsequently more money). And if my main concern is going to be filmmaking once I graduate and the personal training will just be a means of making a living, I don't know if it would be worth it. I don't know, I'm just going to have to make a decision, but I just wanted to see what some people on here thought about this.

It's funny, you're the opposite of me in college. I'm a sophomore also and have completed only 2 classes in my major (Civil Engineering), I'm also not taking any CE classes this semester either. I think I'm gonna switch into business, ya know do a little shady business-dealing where I force third-world people into hard labor so my company can profit. Ya know, that kinda thing. Beats engineering...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

If you are really interested in the field, I certainly suggest spending some time on education. It will help in the future.

You may also find a way to combine the two passions. A guy with a degree in film and expertise in Ex Sci could set you up in an interesting profession, one certianly allowing for the flexibility to work on films that are not fitness related as well.

If John Basedow can sell fitness tapes...
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

You start at the bottom so don't expect quick cash. A lot depends on how well you sell your training. Once you get your clients to sign up then it depends on how good of a trainer you actually are to keep them. You have to be knowledgable and confident about what you know. A lot of people want a friend as well as results. If your a people person you may suceed a lot better. Otherwise you have to train yourself to be one. Some people have it and some people don't but I think if you are motivated and work hard you will do well. It just takes time.
    Last edited by waynis; 10-25-2005 at 06:16 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Hardcore
    This goes along with what Waynis said. I've been a trainer for 4 years now, and there isn't anything else I want to do right now. You can be successful as a trainer, but you have to put in a lot of time, and effort. But, don't think you are just going to walk into a gym, and start training a bunch of people, and then in turn making a lot of money. There is a process that everyone has to go through. Once you get past the first 5-6 months, and you get your clientele built up, you should be good to go. Referrals are your best friend. If you give kick ass workouts, your client will tell their friends, spouses, parents, and you will take them on as clients.

There isn't really a lot of money in personal training, but like anything if you put in the time, you can make a very solid living getting paid to keep people in shape.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

I agree with what the Real TO said.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo