The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Post Shoulder Injury

I got released from my doctor last week after therapy from a possible torn labrum. Therapy showed that I improved and my shoulder is more stable now.

I'm just not sure where to begin when I go back to the gym. Go back to my old routine (baby got back)? Start out light and work my way up? I really need advice on this so I can get back to where I was along with adding on muscle and not fat.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

How did you incur the injury?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    The first time it happened was when I was doing skullcrushers a couple of years ago. After that, my shoulder kept popping out a few times a year. The last time it happened was when I was doing military press. It popped out when I was pushing it up and my arm started to go backwards and I used all of the effort I had to push my arm forward and drop the weight. After that I decided to go to my doctor and get it figured out, since it hurt like hell.

Ok, my concern is that you need technique work. You don't blow your shoulder out with skullcrushers. When something like that happens you had cumulative damage from other movements like bench pressing and it just gave out during the skull crusher. Where are you located?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I was in a similar boat. I had a grade 3 a/c seperation. When I got back to lifting I started light as in just the bar. Did all the exercises I did before and found out which exercise/movements I cannot do. Once I figured out which ones i could do I put a program together. For the first few weeks I lifted light just to see how my body would handle it. Also since I lost so much weight it gave me a chance to really work on getting full ROM with perfect form. I kept the same weight to week to week. I upped weight some after about two-three weeks. Did that program for two months. Then I started the HCT-12 program and now I'm way beyond what my doctor said was possible. Hope this helps some.

Wannabebig Member
    I live in Missouri. I doubt its really my technique. The first time, I'd say my technique was horrible and the weight may have been too much (can't remember exactly.. its been 2 years).

I didn't go to the doctor after it happened the first time and instead played through football season. After that, in PE, I would play dodgeball and every time I tried to throw the ball as hard as I could, my shoulder would pop out. I got to the point to where I wouldn't throw a football, baseball, etc. with friends or my family.

Since January, I made it a key concept to using full ROM, form, and really find and feel for contractions in my muscles. The last time my shoulder popped out, I really do not understand what happened. I was pressing 60 lb dumbbells before I went up to the 70s like normal.

Thanks for the info D-RAS03. I was planning on going light, but I wasn't really sure how light to go. So I hit the gym with my old BGB routine that I was making great progress on and started off with 20 lb DB's and went from there to a medium-ish weight. My shoulder felt a bit unstable on incline DB bench .

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Gregory, I understand what you think, but I have been in this game for probably longer than you have been alive and have access to some of the very best minds in the business not to mention extensive training etc. I have written training articles for major publications and blah, blah, blah... In other words, I am at least a bit of an expert.

Despite your best intentions relative to form and technique, you I still think it may be the underlying issue. You can do all of the things you have mentioned, but still be placing your joints and connective tissue in compromised positions.

By the way, I did it wrong myself for many years. I still do in some ways because physical limitations from old injuries and neglect force me to.

Wannabebig New Member
    Sounds like rotator cuff weakness. You have to strengthen your scapula stabilisers before attempting any strong weight.

www.massagemuswellhill.co.uk

Lots of knowledge in that NOGGIN! ahah

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Gregory, I understand what you think, but I have been in this game for probably longer than you have been alive and have access to some of the very best minds in the business not to mention extensive training etc. I have written training articles for major publications and blah, blah, blah... In other words, I am at least a bit of an expert.

Despite your best intentions relative to form and technique, you I still think it may be the underlying issue. You can do all of the things you have mentioned, but still be placing your joints and connective tissue in compromised positions.

By the way, I did it wrong myself for many years. I still do in some ways because physical limitations from old injuries and neglect force me to.