The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Strong back, but poor back endurance

Ive been wondering about this. When I do deadlifts or low rep squats, my back is plenty strong for heavy weights and low reps.

But when I do higher rep RDLs or anything else with constant tension (like back ext.) my back fatigues fairly quickly and way more than anything else.

Has anyone experienced this? Does this mean I need to spend more time doing back ext. and RDLs?
    Last edited by danki; 12-21-2012 at 08:16 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I'd think that depending on your goals you should stay focused on what you want. If you want strength and you are doing low reps/heavy weights, endurance isn't a priority.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

I think thats normal. I go through the same thing when I switch my training up. I will go from a 5x5 on squats to 4x12-15 and im gassed by the 8th rep. Not from the strength but conditioning wise. It's all about your goals and what you want to achieve. But I believe what youre going through is normal
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Quote Originally Posted by Yosh86 View Post
    I'd think that depending on your goals you should stay focused on what you want. If you want strength and you are doing low reps/heavy weights, endurance isn't a priority.
    low reps / heavy weights doesnt = strength.. Heavy weights high reps can build strength as well... It all depends on how you train.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    low reps / heavy weights doesnt = strength.. Heavy weights high reps can build strength as well... It all depends on how you train.
    lol. Well yes, heavy weights at higher reps will build more strength than the same heavy weight at lower reps.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

i was quoting yosh cause his statement was "if you want strength low reps high weight" thats not necessarily the only way to be strong.. if youre squatting 500 pounds + for 10 reps thats a lot of strength..
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Right, but the issue isn't "more reps of a weight versus fewer", it's that the best way to improve maximum force is to practice exerting, well, maximum force. Which typically isn't what you do during a set of 10, in part because any weight you can move for that many reps isn't "heavy" for you. Deadlifting 500 for 10 is relatively straightforward for me (I don't know if I'd call it "easy"), but it's not really "lifting heavy weight". If I want to get stronger, I'll have to focus on improving my leverages, increasing muscular cross sectional area, and (most importantly), lifting weight near my limit, which I couldn't do for more than 2 or 3....
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Normal...

My hardest set is always the 1st backdown set after my top set.

Did 390 x 3 on RDLs last night. The 285 x 10 set was harder.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Right, but the issue isn't "more reps of a weight versus fewer", it's that the best way to improve maximum force is to practice exerting, well, maximum force. Which typically isn't what you do during a set of 10, in part because any weight you can move for that many reps isn't "heavy" for you. Deadlifting 500 for 10 is relatively straightforward for me (I don't know if I'd call it "easy"), but it's not really "lifting heavy weight". If I want to get stronger, I'll have to focus on improving my leverages, increasing muscular cross sectional area, and (most importantly), lifting weight near my limit, which I couldn't do for more than 2 or 3....
    That's what I was getting at with heavy weight/low reps. Like I'm thinking around 90% 1RM as "heavy weight" where if you do 10 reps than it isn't really your 90% 1RM.
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

Thanks all for the opinions. Im not really concerned with the difference between "heavy" weight and "low" reps vs. "heavy" weights and "high" reps. For the most part, im trying to lift more weight for more reps.

The biggest example of this I can note is comparing a normal deadlift to an RDL. My normal deadlift is pretty fast (no real grinding) except may for an all out max. Also, since deadlifts are not constant tension, I can usually do a lot of reps at a pretty high percentage of my 1RM. Something like 335x15 would be fairly easy.

But with RDL, Its almost the opposite. As the reps go up, the weight must drop off more significantly.

And for RDLS, I almost entirely feel it in my back, whereas deadlifts I dont feel in my back much, but instead in my hamstrings and glutes.

My only concern was for training my assistance lifts, should I assume my back is a weak link? Or, since its only a weak link with higher TUTs, should I just not worry about it. I think you guys answered my questions. Im not going to worry about it, but i'll still train back with some higher TUT work just to address the weaknesses.