The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

How is my diet? Could anyone provide tips?

Hi guys, I'm near here. My name is Rutherford and I have been working out for roughly 1 year now. I've managed to drop from around 30% body fat to a bit under 20% body fat and stay around the same weight. (I have chest, bicep, shoulder definition, harder calves). I'm about 5'10.5 ~ 5'11" and 195 lbs. I do cardio at least 3x a week (run 3 miles) and then I lift 3x a week too. My goals are to get to 10% body fat, and here is my diet. I haven't lost weight in a long time, and I'm not sure whats wrong with it. I cannot eat between 9 -> 4 because I have school

Breakfast: (9am)
    oatmeal with skim milk, 5 eggs : 400 calories

Snack (2pm)
    protein bar, 300 calories

Workout

Lunch(6pm)
    chicken, steak, fish, or pork with a potato and glass of milk: 500 calories

Dinner(8pm)
    cottage cheese, 5 eggs, milk: 400 calories

I'm not really sure what to do, because I eat around 1600 calories a day, maybe around 1800 with fruits and veggies; and I run about 9 miles a week, along with lifting weights 3 hours. I know my diet is horrible, but I'm not really sure what to do. I have been eating quite a bit of brown bread recently, but I still am not losing weight.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I cannot eat between 9 -> 4 because I have school
    They don't give you a lunch break?

I would guess that you are underestimating your calorie intake. For example:

An egg on its own is best part of 80 calories which means your milk and cottage cheese is pretty much amounting to zero calories. The same example would apply to your breakfast meal.

I have been eating quite a bit of brown bread recently, but I still am not losing weight.
    Why do you think brown bread would help?

Wannabebig New Member
    Sorry, by eggs I meant egg whites

I agree with tom, you probably aren't counting your calories correctly. I'd say take a day and actually measure intake (using a scale) and then get back to us.

There is no way that is only 500 calories unless the chicken and potato are both very small.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    Sorry, by eggs I meant egg whites
    I still maintain that inaccurate calorie counting is likely your problem. Sentences like this are fairly indicative of someone who is estimating, not tracking.

I eat around 1600 calories a day, maybe around 1800 with fruits and veggies

Theres also a possibility that if youve been eating only 1600 calories for a year now, your metabolism has slowed to compensate. You could try a structured refeed or take a couple weeks off of dieting. Regardless if you are off slightly on your calories, its still not a lot of food for a guy your size who is also doing cardio 3x a week.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

David Herskovitz -IFBB PRO IFBB David H's Avatar
    I would suggest a few things here:

1. More (smaller meals) - you have 4 meals here which is fine, but i would decrease your portions and increase the number of times you eat in a day. I know you have school, but you can remedy this by preparing your food in advance and bringing it with you to eat during the day.

2. There's a lot of milk in there. Milk is fine in moderation, but it appears that you have it with every single meal (with the exception of the protein bar). I would add more vegetables (particularly green vegetables) and fruits with your meals - they contain less calories than milk.

3. Eggs - switch to egg whites. If you are eating 10 eggs a day, you are taking in quite a bit of fat and cholesterol here. Switching to egg whites will elimiate quite a bit of fat and reduce your calories.

4. Brown Bread? Is that whole wheat bread? Whole Grain bread? Or wheat flavored bread? It's important to know the difference, but bread, by trade, is very processed. I would only eat bread in moderation.

Good luck!

I still think reducing your calories further .. given your activity level and bodyweight..is really stupid. I think your problems are now hormonal.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
    Hi guys, I'm near here. My name is Rutherford and I have been working out for roughly 1 year now. I've managed to drop from around 30% body fat to a bit under 20% body fat and stay around the same weight. (I have chest, bicep, shoulder definition, harder calves). I'm about 5'10.5 ~ 5'11" and 195 lbs. I do cardio at least 3x a week (run 3 miles) and then I lift 3x a week too. My goals are to get to 10% body fat, and here is my diet. I haven't lost weight in a long time, and I'm not sure whats wrong with it. I cannot eat between 9 -> 4 because I have school

Breakfast: (9am)
    oatmeal with skim milk, 5 eggs : 400 calories

Snack (2pm)
    protein bar, 300 calories

Workout

Lunch(6pm)

Dinner(8pm)

I'm not really sure what to do, because I eat around 1600 calories a day, maybe around 1800 with fruits and veggies; and I run about 9 miles a week, along with lifting weights 3 hours. I know my diet is horrible, but I'm not really sure what to do. I have been eating quite a bit of brown bread recently, but I still am not losing weight.
    First you need to identify your goals and carefully read the bold parts. You say that you've dropped about 10% worth of bodyfat and essentially converted most of it into muscle mass. Over the course of an entire year, this is not an unrealistic transformation.

It seems that your not content with losing weight and that you want to undergo body recomp without altering your scale weight much which is fine.

1600 calories seems kinda low to me. Your body gets used too and can adjust itself to be more efficent with a deficit in calories. Right now your consuming about 11,200 calories a week. I'd up that number to about to about 18,000 or 19,000 for a week or two. This would give you, on average, about an extra thousand calories a day. I don't know how you structure your workouts but on your off days I'd go about 2200 and lifting days I'd go about 3200.

Eating many small meals or a few big ones is a matter of personal preference. Whatever you can follow and makes you happy.

Do as the other have suggested and track your calories meticulously. I would drop all cardio until you can learn to manipulate your weight through diet alone. Cardio's a diasaster as a crutch.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

If you cant eat much during the day i would just eat 2-3 large meals. It makes no difference how many meals you eat in a day. Also get rid of the egg whites and eat the whole egg.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    I still think reducing your calories further .. given your activity level and bodyweight..is really stupid. I think your problems are now hormonal.
    More than once I've been long into a cut and progress will slow way down even though I slowly drop cals, it's not until I have a big cheat day and then slightly increase overall cals that I start making progress again. Dropping cals too low can definitely cause more harm than good.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by alvin View Post
    You'll find out five healthy celebrities you'll want to integrate into your foods more often.
    I could EASILY think of at least ten celebrities I'd be happy to eat.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I would eat a bigger breakfast to get your metabolism going.

You can't lose weight because your approach is ALL wrong.

Your running is steady state, low intensity cardio. The body adapts to it to the point you hardly get any caloric expenditure even with all of that exercise.

Your weight training is likely a horrible routine.

Finally, you have starved yourself to having a slug's metabolism.

Now, if you want to get on the right track do the following:

- Learn about high intensity internal training for fat loss (HIIT). This totally replaces your running and any other form of steady state cardio.
    - Check out our free HCT-12 bodybuilding program. Follow it to a "T".
    - Immediately bump your calories to at least 3k per day. Even if you gain weight initially stick with it for the long term. Once you start to normalize your metabolism again (as this may takes months) you can begin to slowly cut cals if needed. The truth is that is you train properly you likely won't have to. Your body composition will begin to change. You will have to be patient and accept initial fat gains. Keep the diet healthy with relatively unprocessed foods, very low sugar etc.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris Mason dropping them knowledge bombs!!!!