The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Strange issue I'm having after a long time doing SS

I've done rippetoes SS and have noticed a strange issue. This may be completely unrelated to SS as I'm not sure when the issue began.

Anyways, I feel more comfortable if I am leaning to my left side. Whether I'm sitting on the couch or standing up, I feel more comfortable with a lean to the left. Wtf. So I went to a chiropractor and he said that he sees this a lot and that my left leg was slightly shorter than the other due to mis alignment of my hip, etc. so he gave me an adjustment and I was on my way. Symptoms were decreased but after a day or two I was back to the same old habits.

I don't have any pain or discomfort. However, if I were to start doing SS again and started all that squatting again, my lower back would start to hurt after workouts. I know my form is good as its been evaluated by Crossfit coaches and people on this website.

Any others with a similar story?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is it still the left side? Was your leg shorter because of a hip or si joint subluxation? Do you have weak or underdeveloped glutes? If he adjusted your SI joint then I would do some rehab work on it and it is probably related to you not firing your glutes.
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Quote Originally Posted by Murderous View Post
    Is it still the left side? Was your leg shorter because of a hip or si joint subluxation? Do you have weak or underdeveloped glutes? If he adjusted your SI joint then I would do some rehab work on it and it is probably related to you not firing your glutes.
    Well my glutes appear to be developed. However, I did notice that in my heavier sets, I would subconsciously be pushing more with my right leg and sometimes even caught myself with my right leg slightly more forward than my left. Perhaps I developed my right side more than my left? Yes, it's still just my left side.

What can I do to help rehab this?
    Last edited by xstalkrx; 01-03-2013 at 07:49 PM.

I had issues with my SI Joint not too long ago(october) and seems like that might be your problem too...Like Murderous said, LOTS of rehab...The Hip abductor/adductor machine has helped me a lot,plus a lot of stretching before and after anything lower body...I got to the point that I was not even able to sleep on my right side for a few days...and I thought it was a sprained lower back muscle.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Quote Originally Posted by evilxxx View Post
    I had issues with my SI Joint not too long ago(october) and seems like that might be your problem too...Like Murderous said, LOTS of rehab...The Hip abductor/adductor machine has helped me a lot,plus a lot of stretching before and after anything lower body...I got to the point that I was not even able to sleep on my right side for a few days...and I thought it was a sprained lower back muscle.
    I can sleep on both sides and I don't have any pain. Although my left side seems more natural to sleep on.

I'm assuming I should be doing some kind of rehab that isolates my left side and strengthens it? This seems like a sketchy problem with no clear solution. I'm lost on this one.
    Last edited by xstalkrx; 01-03-2013 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    I've done rippetoes SS
    Problem 1.

So I went to a chiropractor
    Problem 2.

I know my form is good as its been evaluated by Crossfit coaches
    Problem 3.

Questions you should ask yourself:

1) Does it bother you day to day? Many people have a dominant side, and the majority of people actually have asymmetric limbs.

2) Does either side of your lower back hurt more than the other? Lower back pain may not be remotely related- too often it's tempting to string together unrelated symptoms.

3) What is your weight now compared to when you started lifting?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I echo Alex. Chiros and the like are always trying to tell people they have don't fire this, or don't do that or this limb is longer because of something etc. Some of it is legit, some of it is b.s.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I can sleep on both sides and I don't have any pain. Although my left side seems more natural to sleep on.

I'm assuming I should be doing some kind of rehab that isolates my left side and strengthens it? This seems like a sketchy problem with no clear solution. I'm lost on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Problem 1.

Problem 2.

Problem 3.

Questions you should ask yourself:

1) Does it bother you day to day? Many people have a dominant side, and the majority of people actually have asymmetric limbs.

2) Does either side of your lower back hurt more than the other? Lower back pain may not be remotely related- too often it's tempting to string together unrelated symptoms.

3) What is your weight now compared to when you started lifting?
    1) does not bother me in terms of pain. There is never pain. I can get lower back pain after a strenuous lifting week though. It goes away eventually.

2) if I start lifting again and low back pain returns, it does not stay on one side. It's both sides of lower back

3) I'm 195 instead of 165 now
    Last edited by xstalkrx; 01-03-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Banned
    I echo Alex and Chris. The chiro's are a tool to use, but don't listen to what they say, too much. Just get adjusted.

I'd recommend 1 exercise every squat day devoted to single-leg work. Just 3-4 sets to work each leg a little more isolated.

You're supposed to hurt after training. There's good hurt and bad hurt. Sometimes, bad hurt is good. But, from what you've described, it's called "getting bigger and stronger."

I have always had much better results dealing with sports doctors and physical therapists.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I agree with Mr. Dizenzo, a physical therapist told me my issue was related a problem because of my tightness and muscle imbalances and it was, whereas the chiropractor told me that everything will go back to normal and that I would be able to lift heavy weights after an adjust and some massage (around the joints). Definitely go see a physical therapist.

If the issue is with the SI joint, then there shouldn't be an asymmetrical imbalance to correct with exercises. I did this exercise (make sure to have your feet rotated inwards while doing it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpPQtfOk27M

Make sure you are focusing on your glutes while doing that exercise, and start with light bands you can walk with for about 50 feet both left and right for 3 or 4 sets. My physical therapist assigned me this "glute program" which is too hard to explain over the internet. If you could still feel the joint move a little (with no pain) then I would skip on the exercise I posted for now and just doing a lot of uphill power walking, preferably on a treadmill. A exercise that really helped strengthen my SI joints that seemed uncommon to my physical therapist were body weight straight-back situps with full ROM. I did these to improve my already strong core strength, but it primarily helped me by strengthening the joint. Go see a physical therapist first.
    Last edited by Murderous; 01-05-2013 at 05:21 AM.
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10