Thread: Training & nutrition mistakes

Training & nutrition mistakes

One of the mistakes commonly made by aspiring physique competitiors or the trainees in general is that they blindly follow routines and diets of the champions they see printed in the various magazines. This is wrong for many reasons. 1) that routine may only be suited to the champ they are reading about and no one else. 2) that person may be doing the routine for a specific reason at a specific time, totally negating its use for the rest of us. Most importantly copying a routine out of a magazine is a waste because it is a routine only and not the WHOLE PROGRAM. Randomly choosing exercises everyday because its "chest" day or "leg" day is not a plan or a program. Programs have context and a purpose for the application.

Smart athletes follow programs of which routines are only component parts. So copying a routine out of a magazine leaves the copier without a complete picture of the whole program and its intent. I've always said eating and training to maintain muscle mass is a lot easier than eating or training to GAIN muscle mass (like the Cycle diet I am currently on if you have read my journal). The two are entirely different and distinct and require a completely different approach in order to achieve results. I often smile at bodybuilders who take a year off from competing to come back bigger. Yet, they have no plan for their off-season training. Yet they expect to just be bigger and better because time has past! How ridiculous is that. There is an old notion that repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result is "the definition of insanity"!

Hey Allen,

Got a few questions for ya.

1. How do you stay motivated? I have a hard time sticking to my program after about 3 weeks or so. Ive been told I over-train and my body gets to tired and kinda wears out.

2. Do you weigh and portion your food or do you kinda wing it?

Thanks
    preworkoutsupps.com - Comprehensive pre workout reviews
    "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
    - Micheal Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by jbigg$ View Post
    Hey Allen,

1. How do you stay motivated? I have a hard time sticking to my program after about 3 weeks or so. Ive been told I over-train and my body gets to tired and kinda wears out.

Thanks
    This is my lifestyle and something I truly enjoy doing so I don't really need motivation to do it. I have clients that have the same thought as you and this is something you definitely need to address. It depends on your approach to it and what your doing it for (cosmetic, overall health, etc...) This is why I coach the mental and emotional awareness as well as the physical because they all need to be in balance for this to be something that is enjoyable. Also the application of a program and having one designed to fit your lifestyle is important. To many times people try to fit themselves into a program when it needs to be the other way around.

Yes I do weigh and measure my foods, but depending on goals I do not have all my clients do this. I will lay out guidelines which fit their daily routine instead.

It always comes down to the individual and what their current needs state is.

Well, I was a martial artist for many years and have suffered alot of injuries that now I have a hard time doing the workouts I want to, so I have to find ways to adapt to new routines, but I don't really feel it, like I use to.

Injuries:
    1. bad knees. Crack and have pain when I bend down. Lunges are very hard for me to do, but can manage them.
    2. Hip flexor issue. Probably tendonitis from constantly kicking in all directions. Hurts now when I kick with my left leg
    3. soleus muscles on both legs bother me to the point that I cannot run after about 4-6 minutes. I love running and cant. sucks
    4. Right rotator cuff problems

Anyway, the good news is that I am naturally strong and can pack on muscle fairly quickly, but at the same time I can also pack on the fat. So im kinda bummed about my situation, but im not sulking, just trying to determine how I want to proceed with my workouts. I love weight training, but I start to get big and feel like it is counter-productive to a martial artist. So I question myself and have a hard time maintaining motivation because I don't have a real objective to achieve (in my mind).

So I bust through several weeks of workouts, followed by, "Ok, so why am I doing this?" type of questions and end up taking time off, gaining the weight back and starting all over again.

Kinda feel like im spinning in circles.

Heres what I do know.
    1. I want to lose body fat.
    2. I want to be very strong.
    3. I want to be truly healthy inside and out.
    4. I want to be in great physical shape.

Since I have problems with my soleus muscles and knees I really feel like im limited as to achieving the level of fitness I want because I can't run or jump alot.

Anyway, dont mean to be a downer, just trying to give a little more perspective. I probably need to really think more about my goals and plan accordingly.

Thanks for responding BTW.
    preworkoutsupps.com - Comprehensive pre workout reviews
    "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
    - Micheal Jordan

Goo information and a refresher for people Allen.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Well, I was a martial artist for many years and have suffered alot of injuries that now I have a hard time doing the workouts I want to, so I have to find ways to adapt to new routines, but I don't really feel it, like I use to.

Injuries:
    1. bad knees. Crack and have pain when I bend down. Lunges are very hard for me to do, but can manage them.
    2. Hip flexor issue. Probably tendonitis from constantly kicking in all directions. Hurts now when I kick with my left leg
    3. soleus muscles on both legs bother me to the point that I cannot run after about 4-6 minutes. I love running and cant. sucks
    4. Right rotator cuff problems

Anyway, the good news is that I am naturally strong and can pack on muscle fairly quickly, but at the same time I can also pack on the fat. So im kinda bummed about my situation, but im not sulking, just trying to determine how I want to proceed with my workouts. I love weight training, but I start to get big and feel like it is counter-productive to a martial artist. So I question myself and have a hard time maintaining motivation because I don't have a real objective to achieve (in my mind).

So I bust through several weeks of workouts, followed by, "Ok, so why am I doing this?" type of questions and end up taking time off, gaining the weight back and starting all over again.

Kinda feel like im spinning in circles.

Heres what I do know.
    1. I want to lose body fat.
    2. I want to be very strong.
    3. I want to be truly healthy inside and out.
    4. I want to be in great physical shape.

Since I have problems with my soleus muscles and knees I really feel like im limited as to achieving the level of fitness I want because I can't run or jump alot.

Anyway, dont mean to be a downer, just trying to give a little more perspective. I probably need to really think more about my goals and plan accordingly.

Thanks for responding BTW.
    You have to realize you are not what you once were, which eventually happens to anyone who trains hard and this is something you have to accept and adjust things accordingly. If you have injuries or things that hurt when doing them then bottom line is don't do them. You have to workout in a way that will help the body to function and look at the long term, because that's what is important.

I will post more, but first, do NOT do leg exercises that aggravate your knees, or at least do not do them with any regularity.

Learn how to PROPERLY box squat and your knee issue should resolve to a significant degree over time.

Here is a video of proper box squatting form:

Video

Oh, and sled pulling would be great for you as well (for you I would use it for conditioning).

Firstly, get a general sense of how many calories you need for your goals. e.g. Over maintenance for gaining weight - Under maintenance for losing weight. Once you have the general idea, it's pretty easy to eat more/less if you're not going in the right direction.

If you're having trouble staying motivated while training, do you think you'll be motivated to weigh every single meal?
    My advice is to wing it, but wing it smartly! Know how much you need to eat a day, then add or take away food accordingly.
    If you're struggling to gain weight, let alone muscle, Click Here