Thread: Shoulder rehab for bench press

Shoulder rehab for bench press

I suffered a shoulder injury while bench pressing last summer, and took 2 months completely off of benching. For the last few months I have been consistently rehabbing and getting stronger and feeling better all the time. I can do most all lifts with no pain, but when I start to go a bit heavier with the bench press I get some discomfort and stiffness in the area of the injury. It's not the sharp pain that I had before. How much discomfort and stiffness is a normal part of rehab? I have no problem working through the pain, I just don't want to end up back at square one. I really want to get back at benching heavy again.

You need to describe the injury and what area it's in before anyone can give useful information.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

It feels like the delt, right where it transitions into the trap. On the very front so it almost seems like the upper pec area too. If I run my finger outward along my clavicle, as soon as I hit muscle that is the spot. When I was having a lot of pain, it would hurt when I was benching and any time I would raise my arm above shoulder height.

Are you referring to the ac joint?
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Wannabebig Member
    Hard to pinpoint the area based on what you're describing, but I tore my labrum earlier this year and sounds like that is a possibility. If you've been resting and rehabbing at/over 6 months as it seems, probably time to see a doctor if it hasn't gone away.
    "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"

Murderous - I'm not sure if it is the ac joint. I have watched some youtube videos on it and it sounds possible though. It is right in that area.

Stonecutter - I have been considering going to the doc for awhile. If I can't work through this by the end of Feb. I will prob. cave in and make an apt.. Hows the labrum? Did you tear it benching?

hit it with a lacrosse ball and see what happens.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    LaX ball works wonders.... you could always add in some rehab exercises for the rotator and shoulder as well..... but my money is on "go see a doctor".... at least you will know what it is and know if you can work around it or what.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Thanks guys. I will be trying what you recommend.

What do you do to warmup prior to training?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

vdizenzo - For the last couple months I have been doing a bunch of band work that I found on youtube that George Halbert was using for rehab with a guy named Dr. Ryan. He calls it circumduction, and also internal and external rotation. Then I'll move on to some straight arm pull-overs and then some bicep curls with uppercut. All of these with monster minis for at least 30-40 reps for all movements.

It takes awhile, but I feel good after it all. It's once I start to go heavy that I start to feel tight, and I have some discomfort. I don't want to make it worse but I realize that I'm probably going to have to work through some degree of pain.