The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

How to add in fat bar work?

My gym recently got a new fat bar and I am looking for everyone's thoughts on where/how to incorporate into my routine to help my grip/forearm strength. Currently my grip is my limiting factor in my deadlift at 255 X 5 and also 275 X 1 (weak i know).

Last session I added static holds to the end of my workout for the first time. I held onto my last rep of my deadlift (235 X 5) for as long as I could and also then did static holds of 225 and 275 at the end of my routine. I will continue to deadlift without straps and work on improving the static holds.

What are your guys thoughts? What exercises should I use the fat bar for (thinking bench and deadlift)? Should I add in additional sets at the end of my normal routine with the fat bar, or alternate days where some I use the fat bar and some the standard?

Current Stats:
    Bench: 175 x 5
    Squat: 225 x 5
    Deadlift: 255 x 5

Current Routine - Hitting the gym about 4 times a week depending on work going through the 3 days below.
    A.
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Front Squat / Leg Curls (Alternate)
    Calf Raises
    Ab work

B.
    BB Bench
    Incline DB Bench
    Standing Overhead Press
    Close Grip Bench / Tricep Push Down (Alternate)
    Rear Delt Flies

C.
    Pullups
    BB Rows
    Seated Pulley Rows
    Shrugs
    Bicep Curls

Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't have any experience using the fat bar for deadlifting or benching (yet to try it out), but I really like using it for overhead pressing (military, push-press, whatever variation you like). I find that it takes a bit of stress off the shoulder joint and elbows, and puts my wrists in a better position.

As far as when to incorporate it, I would say whenever you feel like it, but if you want to plan things out a little more, I would stick with the regular bar until your bench/OH press stalls, then swap the regular bar out for the fat bar for a few weeks. I also wouldn't use it on more than one lift at a time (ex: if you're fat bar benching, use a regular bar for OH presses, and vice versa), but that's just me. Give it a shot and see how it goes!

As far as grip strength, I hear you there. Static holds are definitely a good idea, and any accessory work with fat grips or the fat bar will very likely help as well. Someone else might be able to help you more here, I'm a terrible slacker when it comes to grip work!
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    To improve grip strength there are a few things that you can do with the Fat Bar:

- Axle Deadlifts (Mixed Grip or Double-Overhand)
    - Axle Power Cleans
    - Axle Rows
    - Axle Upright Rows
    - Axle Hangs (place the bar on top of a power rack and hang for time)

When you do the rowing or deadlifting holding each rep at the top for a couple of seconds will boost your grip strength.

**Also - If your bar does not have knurling/marking you may want to throw a piece of athletic tape around the bar roughly 8-10# in from the collars just to have a point of reference so that you are grabbing the bar evenly.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com