The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Finally getting back into the gym! Help me re-construct my program please :)

Hi all!

Been off the boards for quite sometime...3 years to be exact. I'm finally getting back into the gym after a 3 year "break". While I wasn't happy to take such a break, life got in the way, as it goes.

Before stopping my routine, it was as follows:

3 days a week with an off day in between each, two between day 3 and 1.

Day 1: Chest and Bicep
    Day 2: Shoulders and Legs
    Day 3: back and triceps

Each day I would do 3 workouts per muscle group with 3 sets of each workout. I would start with a weight that I could do 10 reps, following a weight I can get 6 reps and finally a weight I can get at least 3 reps.

However, reading the "Four laws of training and growing" I find that my old program was completely incorrect.

I'm currently 5'3", 138lbs. I am able to hit the gym three days a week, however until February, I can only go Minday-Thursday, meaning two workouts will be back to back with no rest day due to my jobs gym schedule. I'm trying to gain muscle as I'm tired of being the "small" guy. When I started weight lifting 3 years ago, I was 115lbs. When I stopped, I was at 127lbs. Therefore I know I can do it, I just need the proper guidance and program.

With that said, what would you recommend as a good program to start with? I figured lifting could be Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and I can save Tuesday for strictly hard cardio. This will again, only be until February.

Should I pursue the 3-Day split in the aforementioned article?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Jnick, what's your ultimate goal? Once you answer that question, we can have a better idea of how to help you.

Matt

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Matt!

Sorry for the delayed response...

I'm looking to definitely build muscle mass yet have a fit/tone/athletic build.

Confusing, I know! I want to build muscle, gain strength and turn my otherwise skinny body type into a more athletic/fit build. I know I need to bulk in order to gain muscle however I do not want to just bulk and be carrying around the mass without definition...if that makes sense.

I know part of the process is bulking then toning, which I am fine with.

If that wasn't clear enough, let me know an I can post a pic of my physique and a pic of what I'd like to come close to achieving

Thanks!

~~~~ I would say, "check the 'hard' cardio" and bulk for a month. Maybe ty to add 5 lbs in month one.

Then in the second month, hit your cardio, and watch your diet a bit more carefully, with a goal of losing 3 lbs in month.

Repeat the cycle every month for a quarter, and see how you're doing.

The hard cardio is really going to limit your gains in size.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the reply!

I'll table the cardio for month one then! In regards to the actual lifting routine, what would you recommend? Starting next month, I'll be able to do a 3 day split, going every other day. I'll probably go 5 days a week but only lift three of the five, and playing a sport/ab work two of the five.

Should I follow the routine found in the article linked in the first post? Or something else?

There are good programs everywhere, but this is what I'm doing right now

Day 1: Chest and Triceps
    Day 2: Legs, Traps and Abs
    Day 3: Back and Biceps

* On Chest Day ~ I would work the shoulders more than the actual chest. So more Overhead Presses and less flat bench work ~~~
    Every other week, throw in an extra arm day.
    Last edited by Iplan; 01-15-2013 at 09:30 AM.

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Wannabebig Member
    What is recommended for reps/sets?

Should I be going 8x4 @ 80% 1RM or do the standard 3x10,6,3?

For building strength (if you were training like a power lifter would train), the reps per set are generally lower (less than 6 reps) ~ but the weight is heavier to compensate.

For building muscle mass (training like a body builder), the reps are typically higher between 8 - 12, and the working load is lighter to accommodate the extra reps. I would try to spend time in 8, 10 , and 12 reps per set in every major lift (except for deadlifts ~ where there is a significant chance of injury when form begins to break down).

This is not a hard and fast correlation just a theme you see repeated often.

I have seen many bodybuilding and power lifting plans that scale their workloads up and down through a training cycle (eg: a 4 week period or an 8 week period, etc.).

It's called "periodization" I think. Anyway, you would train a weight (say Standing Overhead Press) 100lbs 5 sets of 8 reps in week one (the last sets would be hard, but you would be able to crank them out with proper form. If not, repeat the same workout the following week).
    Assuming you get all the sets and reps in the first week, in week two ~ keep the weight the same and go for 5 sets of 10 reps.
    Then week three, 5 sets of 12 reps.
    In week 4, you increase the weight 5% (so now you're lifting 105lbs on your OHP instead of 100lbs) and go 5 sets of 8 (just like you did in week 1).

You'd do this for all of your big compound movement lifts (bench, squats, chinups, overhead press, etc.).

Anyway, at some point, you'll stall out. That's okay it happens to everyone in the sport. Don't continue to beat your head against the wall. If you've got multiple lifts that are stalled, take a week off, and beginning the week after your deload week, drop down 5% from your previous working set, and start the ratcheting process over again.
    Last edited by Iplan; 01-15-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Jnick,

I sent you a private message.

Matt