Thread: Hardgaining with basketball

Wannabebig Member

Hardgaining with basketball

I consider myself a mild case of a hardgainer. I can put on the muscle weight (5-6 pounds a month) by eating 4000-5000 calories a day and lifting heavy, but I don't put on any fat really. I am at 6'2" and 165 lbs and 4% body fat. I am going to start playing on a men's league team (basketball) on Jan 16th. We will have 1-2 games per week and I was just wondering how much that cardio will hinder my ability to gain weight . Or will affect my gains at all? Or will I just have to eat that much more on those days on which i have the games?

One or two games a week isn't going to hinder your progress provided you eat enough to make up for the extra activity.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    The tricky thing here can be duration.

From warming up to playing it can be hours of activity. None of it is terribly catabolic but it can add up.

I recommend throwing lots of calories at this. I would do a pre-workout shake with some protein and tons of carb. I would also do a post-workout with protein and carbs.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Just curious, what's a typical 4000-5000 calorie day for you? (As in, what does it look like?)
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig Member
    This is for today
    Breakfast: Bowl of Cereal, Toaster Strudel, 16 oz of milk
    Snack: Yogurt, Protein Shake, 2 Burritos, Cottage cheese
    Lunch: Ramen Noodles, Yogurt, Milk
    Snack: 4 eggs, 2 yogurts
    Dinner: Grilled cheese and tomato soup, Milk
    Snack: Protein shake, Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Yogurt

then chug some milk before i go to bed.
    Also, the milk i drink is Whole milk

Cereal, strudel, milk: 200+170+300
    Yogurt, shake, burritos, cottage cheese: 120+150+300+100
    Ramen, yogurt, milk: 190+120+300
    4 eggs, 2 yogurts: 360+240
    Grilled cheese and tomato soup, milk: 300+180+300
    Protein shake, sandwich, yogurt: 150+400+120

Sound about right? Let me know if my calculations are off, because that's barely 4,000.

If that's helping you gain a pound a week, then I'd guess about 3300 is your daily maintenance. 4 hours of even fairly intense playing, at your size, is less than an extra 3500 calories a week, which means you'd still probably gain weight slowly assuming zero extra calories, or maintain your rate of weight gain by consuming an additional 500 or so. So throw in another sandwich a day and you should be good to go.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

You are 6'2" and 165 lbs! You need to gain weight. You need to eat more. It is pretty simple. Eat foods higher in caloric density, i.e. eat fatty foods if you feel like you can't eat more volume.

That diet you listed is really kind of a joke and you wonder why you can't gain weight...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Well the shake is closer to 400 calories because i take it with whole milk. The ramen is also 380 calories. The tomato soup is higher because i added whole milk to it. And I do count my calories. Also! i'm a poor college kid haha
    @chris mason Its not at 5000 yet, but i just started a couple days ago and i'm building up to it. I did a diet similar to this last semester and went from 148 to 164. The food substance may not be all that great but the whole milk is what helps me gain weight the most. I'm going through 3/4-1 gallon per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasewilkins11 View Post
    Well the shake is closer to 400 calories because i take it with whole milk. The ramen is also 380 calories. The tomato soup is higher because i added whole milk to it. And I do count my calories. Also! i'm a poor college kid haha
    @chris mason Its not at 5000 yet, but i just started a couple days ago and i'm building up to it. I did a diet similar to this last semester and went from 148 to 164. The food substance may not be all that great but the whole milk is what helps me gain weight the most. I'm going through 3/4-1 gallon per day.
    Consider some foods other than a shit ton of milk and school cafeteria selections. Research what type of foods have what macro nutrient benefits and are calorie dense. The joy in this is that you have a lot to gain..so no need to limit yourself. Just go beyond some damn grilled cheese'...make some pasta with some hearty sausage, olive oil, creamy sauce...whole chicken dishes...a big steak.

Also, you were 148 last semester? Where you by chance a political prisoner?

All joking aside, best of luck !
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Banned
    Your diet is terrible. Stop with the "poor college kid" excuse. Eat more dead animals at the dining hall. But, like Chris said, eat more. It's really that simple. Instead of wasting time counting calories, you should be studying. Eat more. if you're not gaining weight, eat more. That's the answer.

It's terrible, but he IS gaining weight. His worry was that some basketball would hinder that. The answer is "nope, not if you just eat a little more, which shouldn't be hard, given you're not eating much in the first place"

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Your diet is terrible. Stop with the "poor college kid" excuse. Eat more dead animals at the dining hall. But, like Chris said, eat more. It's really that simple. Instead of wasting time counting calories, you should be studying. Eat more. if you're not gaining weight, eat more. That's the answer.
    So true.