Thread: Weak points

Weak points

Whatsup Wannabebig,

Back in November, I started working with a coach and we discussed the weak points in my physique. How do you attack and improve your weaker body parts, wether it be strength wise or overall appearance?

I have been attacking my weakpoints by doing a lot more supersets and dropsets with the certain bodyparts I feel are not as symmetrical to the rest of my physique, which in my case is my inner chest and triceps.

This means a ton of close grip bench press, skull crushes, and my tricep pushdowns I will do 12,10,10...then start dropping weight and banging out more sets until I cannot do any more repititions with the smallest amount of weight. Large pump, and pushed to exhaustion. Worked for me in the past, will be attempting again soon once my bodyfat is down to where I want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Whatsup Wannabebig,

Back in November, I started working with a coach and we discussed the weak points in my physique. How do you attack and improve your weaker body parts, wether it be strength wise or overall appearance?
    If you want to prioritize something I would make sure that you align the movement/muscle group with a session where you are coming off of at least one day of rest, while also moving the target exercise/bodyparts to the start of the workout.

In some cases it can also make sense to increase the frequency or volume to improve something that is lagging.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

In my case I will use movements, or variations thereof that stress my weaknesses for accessory work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Whatsup Wannabebig,

i really liked this article by john meadows on weak point training for bodybuilding http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...body_parts&cr=
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    In my case I will use movements, or variations thereof that stress my weaknesses for accessory work.
    Great post! If its good enough for Louie it's good enough for me! Lol
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

What does everyone think about training a certain part like 5 or 6 days a week to bring it up? What I mean by this is 4 sets of a certain movement on that body part and that's it.

For example: Pullups for lats or dumbbell laterals for shoulders

I have done two shoulders days a week and have had great results. I'm trying to get them Kevin Levrone Delts!

http://www.learn-bodybuilding.com/pr..._levrone11.jpg

Matthew, that depends on the individual. One of the tricks with a lagging body part is it often cannot take the same volume as a "stronger" body part. In other words, more is not necessarily better. Drugs can also make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    i really liked this article by john meadows on weak point training for bodybuilding http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...body_parts&cr=
    Actually a decent article. I hate the fact that the first two quotes are not actually by Einstein, though. Meatheads need to stick to being meatheads.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Lol, I didn't read it... I will have to now.

Some things I've modified in the past have been

-Move the body part to the beginning of a workout if training multiple muscle groups (Example: train biceps before training back at all on back day if back and biceps are trained together)
    -Increase volume
    -Increase frequency (either by repeating the same workout sooner or by adding in extra sets to another workout. Example: doing calf raises at the end of a chest day)
    -Give the body part entirely it's own day where the focus going into the gym is soley to train it
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

If I'm trying to improve a bodypart, I like to work it a little more often then the others.

Well, here is my experiment! I'm already doing two shoulders twice a week(wed and sun), which are biased to my rear and medial delt. Everyday that isn't a shoulder day I will be doing 4 sets of laterals till failure. Every other day I ll be doing 4 sets of pullups till failure and the days that I'm not doing the pullups I'll be doing calves. all theses additional movements will be done before my workout.

My goals are to bring up the width of my shoulders from front/side, bring up my lats from the front/back, and to bring up my overall size of my calves.

Matt

do you have any before and afters... let your pictures show your results!

Chris,

Good idea, I will definitely do that.

Quote Originally Posted by starkcb View Post
    do you have any before and afters... let your pictures show your results!

Matthew,

Although I have just started implementing doing what you are doing to a T. I Can see a noticeable difference in a short amount of time. now I suspect that as time goes on the need for more intense and complex training will need to occur but for now the results are happening quickly. Im sure you probably noticed the same with yourself. Have you seen a decline or plateau from doing this training for several months now?
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

HT: 5'11 WT 225

B: 375 S:500 D:620

my training log http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ilder-training

my gym www.liftstrongrunfast2920.com

Chris,

My two shoulder days a week are making me turn this weakness into a strength. I visually can see the way its going to give me the illusion I'm seeking on stage.

The pictures below are from today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (97.8 KB, 37 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (98.1 KB, 37 views)
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 01-23-2013 at 06:39 PM.

This is a general idea of what I looked 20 week ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (96.9 KB, 34 views)
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 01-23-2013 at 06:49 PM.

There are many ways you can attack a weak point and as always it depends if you are a beginner or advanced athlete and if you are taking anything to enhance recovery. The first thing most do is add another day for that muscle group, one day neing more of a heavier day and the other focusing on nothing but contractions and the pump.

Also one way most don't think of is making the weak point the weakest link in a movement, so it had to work harder which will stimulate even more muscle fibers. What I mean by this is say you are doing side laterals add locomotion to the movement. Do this by either doing alternating Side laterals and each time you raise your right arm you would take a step forward with your left leg. Do this in an alternating fashion. You can also find a clear path in the gym and evrytime you do a side lateral with both arms take a step forward and you will continue to walk until you hit the desired reps.

Here is a complex I have used with many competitors at the end of a workout, usually 3-4 days after your main Shoulder day.

1a) Front DB raises with a side step X 20
    1b) Side laterals with a front step X 20
    1c) Seated DB press (pumping reps) X 20
    1c) DB Upright rows X 20

Do 3 rounds taking 1-3 min between each round.