The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Should I venture out of my set/rep range?

Most of my lifts are currently trained using 4 sets of 2 reps(no assistance) and 3x3.

Now I'm not here to ask what the perfect rep/set range is, what I want to know is what do the big boys in strength usually do in terms of sets/reps? Do you guys base most of your training around 1,2,3s or do most stay around 5 reps for most of their sessions?

Do really low reps like say doubles(I mainly do doubles) hold you back in terms of size/strength if you don't add more 5s and 6s? It's said somewhere that the low reps don't provide enough stimulus for hypertrophy. Is this true?

This isn't a joke thread or anything for those that have seen some of my prvious posts, I merely want to know if I'm limiting my strength by staying at doubles almost all the time.

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is what you are doing working for you? Are you happy with where you are at and where you can go?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Is what you are doing working for you? Are you happy with where you are at and where you can go?
    Oh 4x2 works great for me I love it probably more than 3x3 which I used for ages, but I'm just curious if there's any method out there that's more effective than what I'm using now, but it's no rush for me, great strength is a marathon not a sprint.

Bro Science says--low reps strength, high reps mass. In between a little of both.

Most programs don't hover around low reps for the majority of their work. Westside uses low reps at the beginning of their Max Effort workouts but after that all of the assistance work is in the 6+ range most of the time and even 15+ at times. Starting Strength and 5/3/1 flourish off of reps in the 5 zone or more. Ed Coan was a big fan of rep sets--cycling I think from 8's to 5's to 3's. Even the "strong" bodybuilders (Yates, Coleman) hung out between 5-8 reps compared to there buddies who hang out around 8-12's.

I think the exception are a lot of Oly programs will stay in the lower rep range. But maybe part of that is that higher rep oly lifts might cause form breakdown which isn't good practice.

In short, it seems like most big guys have ventured out of the 1-3 range.

I think I should re introduce sets of 5-8 in my workouts then. Not like I have much to lose by trying something new out. Anyone got success stories on this forum with focus on 5-8?

Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    Anyone got success stories on this forum with focus on 5-8?
    Yup...everyone, ever. Seriously, though, I don't feel like I get a benefit out of 2 or 3 reps. Sure, once you are hitting high numbers you need to get used to moving heavy weight for 1 or 2 reps, but beyond that, I don't see a benefit in training that way. I train in the 6-8 rep range and consistently see improvement. I certainly throw in an occasional 2 or 3 rep with high weight (350+), but I don't see the point in training that way. I feel much more fulfilled moving 275 8 times for 4 sets than 340 2 times.
    Last edited by tmor6; 01-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23