The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How would you guys train for a max reps deadlift meet/event..

As the title suggest. I am going to be training for a max reps deadlift with 495lbs, and I am un-sure of how to go about training for it. I'm almost certain I am over-complicating things in my head so here are my thoughts.

Continue training heavy as surely the guy with the highest 1RM is going to lift the most reps with a sub max weight (i.e the 495) a 650lb deadlifter is going to do many many more reps than a 550.

Or would you practice the actual thing itself and try and get more reps each time every few weeks or so.

Im leaning towards cube style deadlift training with it, in rotating intensities eg. speed/heavy/reps and the rep day I would keep strictly at 495 and try a rep PR every time I get round to it. Keep the heavy day as some form of max effort work and the speed day obviously 50-60% volume style, short rest periods. It makes sense in my head but as ever I'm curious to hear some of your idea's!

thanks.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Cube rotation sounds like a good idea. There's nothing better than actually doing the lift too. I learned that doing that 1,200# two man DL. Nothing I did helped me get ready for it. You gotta do the lift. Good luck man.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    How much time do you have until the meet?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    How much time do you have until the meet?
    13 weeks from monday Tom.

if it helps its a strongman show. The deadlift for reps is one of the events though so I was going to treat that as a lift I could do in training as opposed to an event to practice as it were

Im having to travel to another gym to practice the other events.
    Last edited by J L S; 01-24-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    Check out my training:

There is a thing called the S.A.I.D. principle... Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand. When you are about 2 months out I would switch to training for the specific goal. That would mean start doing reps with 495 lbs and try to build the count as you move towards the meet. To optimize your pulling a given weight for reps you do need as high of a 1RM as possible, but you also need strength endurance with that given load. Once you are about 2 months out the time to focus on 1RM is gone and it is time to focus on strength endurance.

100%, no question. No Cube etc.

I initially thought you were JUST doing a dead for reps competition. The Strongman thing complicates matters a bit, but if you will not also be doing a max pull then I would stick with the above for that component of your prep.
    Last edited by chris mason; 01-24-2013 at 09:48 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Being part of a strongman event, will you be using straps?
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    There is a thing called the S.A.I.D. principle... Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand. When you are about 2 months out I would switch to training for the specific goal. That would mean start doing reps with 495 lbs and try to build the count as you move towards the meet. To optimize your pulling a given weight for reps you do need as high of a 1RM as possible, but you also need strength endurance with that given load. Once you are about 2 months out the time to focus on 1RM is gone and it is time to focus on strength endurance.

100%, no question. No Cube etc.

I initially thought you were JUST doing a dead for reps competition. The Strongman thing complicates matters a bit, but if you will not also be doing a max pull then I would stick with the above for that component of your prep.
    thanks chris, some good info in there, the way im training at the moment that would work out nicely and I was thinking of just trying to edge the reps up over time. Seems more like a goal orientated approach

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Being part of a strongman event, will you be using straps?
    I imagine so bruiser, it wasn't specified but I train my main exercises without them anyway. I'll find out.
    Check out my training:

Quote Originally Posted by J L S View Post
    thanks chris, some good info in there, the way im training at the moment that would work out nicely and I was thinking of just trying to edge the reps up over time. Seems more like a goal orientated approach

I imagine so bruiser, it wasn't specified but I train my main exercises without them anyway. I'll find out.
    Find out, because if its an option you might wanna lean that way. But if you do, then train with them. I have trouble adjusting to straps.
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

Find out, because if its an option you might wanna lean that way. But if you do, then train with them. I have trouble adjusting to straps.
    totally agree, need all the advantages I can get. Im not a fan of them to be honest either but its deffo something to think about. thanks buddy
    Check out my training:

I looked back through my training log to see how my 1RM strength compared to rep performance when I had the same event in contests (500 lbs for reps). There were two contests where we had that event; once with an axle and other with a barbell, but both were up/down commands and allowed for straps. The contests were two years apart so I am able to provide some contrast on performance vs. 1RM strength.

The first time that I encountered the event my max deadlift was around 545 lbs sumo style and so I really did not know what to expect conventional. I ended up with (7) reps, knocked out five then took a brief breather and managed to pull two more completing the last rep just before time expired.

When I encountered the event a couple of years later my max deadlift was 635 lbs and I managed to knock out 11 reps in 60 seconds. This number tied a gentleman who had a ~700 lbs pull and the athlete who won with 12 reps was a mid-600's puller.

I would say that the take-away is that you do not need to have a huge 1RM to pull 500 for a good number of reps as long as you peak effectively for the meet and your conditioning is good.

Things that I would address with the promoter prior to the contest:

- Is the barbell from a standard height?
    - Are straps allowed?
    - Will there be 'up' and 'down' commands?
    - Are deadlift suits allowed?

I would not do a lot of heavy pulling for high reps leading up to the contest as it can wear you out; heavy front squats or strongman events can help prepare you from a conditioning perspective.

Hope this helps - I would be happy to provide feedback on whatever plan you come up with for your training.

I looked back through my training log to see how my 1RM strength compared to rep performance when I had the same event in contests (500 lbs for reps). There were two contests where we had that event; once with an axle and other with a barbell, but both were up/down commands and allowed for straps. The contests were two years apart so I am able to provide some contrast on performance vs. 1RM strength.

The first time that I encountered the event my max deadlift was around 545 lbs sumo style and so I really did not know what to expect conventional. I ended up with (7) reps, knocked out five then took a brief breather and managed to pull two more completing the last rep just before time expired.

When I encountered the event a couple of years later my max deadlift was 635 lbs and I managed to knock out 11 reps in 60 seconds. This number tied a gentleman who had a ~700 lbs pull and the athlete who won with 12 reps was a mid-600's puller.

I would say that the take-away is that you do not need to have a huge 1RM to pull 500 for a good number of reps as long as you peak effectively for the meet and your conditioning is good.

- Are straps allowed?

I would not do a lot of heavy pulling for high reps leading up to the contest as it can wear you out; heavy front squats or strongman events can help prepare you from a conditioning perspective.

Hope this helps - I would be happy to provide feedback on whatever plan you come up with for your training.
    Awesome advice! Thanks for posting this!
    36 yr old novice PL

Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -

I was just going to echo having a higher max, doesn't necessarily mean more reps than someone "weaker". Lot of factors at play. Chris and Tom have provided a good foundation.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

- Are straps allowed?

that was fantastic information, Tom, cant thank you enough for a post like that.

It is a standard deadlift
    straps are allowed
    There are up and down commands
    and no deadlift suits

Have you got an email adress I can contact you at?

Awesome advice! Thanks for posting this!
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I was just going to echo having a higher max, doesn't necessarily mean more reps than someone "weaker". Lot of factors at play. Chris and Tom have provided a good foundation.
    I agree joey. I think a 800lb puller will always pull more reps than a 600lb puller but yes, I agree there are lots more factors than limit strength hence me being a little hesitant in how to approach training for it!
    Check out my training:

Quote Originally Posted by J L S View Post
    that was fantastic information, Tom, cant thank you enough for a post like that.

It is a standard deadlift
    straps are allowed
    There are up and down commands
    and no deadlift suits

Have you got an email adress I can contact you at?
    No problem... I will send you a PM with my email address.