The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60

    Working on my double-unders...

    Picked up a new speed rope and managed a PR on double-unders...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UbBlDwHJ3o

    Video
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,713
    Nice! It blew my mind when Kristin Klever did 90 unbroken after doing 150 wall balls.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  4. #3
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Nice! It blew my mind when Kristin Klever did 90 unbroken after doing 150 wall balls.
    Yeah that is ridiculous conditioning... it is a whole different game when you are doing conditioning/explosiveness training pre-fatigued. I tried box jumps at the end of a circuit last week and felt like I was wearing a weighted vest.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  5. #4
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Yeah that is ridiculous conditioning... it is a whole different game when you are doing conditioning/explosiveness training pre-fatigued. I tried box jumps at the end of a circuit last week and felt like I was wearing a weighted vest.
    Yup. I can knock out dubs pretty easily fresh. Going into them fatigued is a whole new ball game. What rope are you using?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  6. #5
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Way to go big man. A good rope makes a big difference. I use the Rogue Speed Ropes. Some people like the ropes short, while others like them long. I'm 5'7" and I like the long ropes better.

  7. #6
    Cardio bunny Alex.V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Duke
    Posts
    41
    Box jumps at the END of a circuit? Man, you crazy? I know you know your shit, but that's the classic recipe to tear an achilles.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

  8. #7
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,713
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Way to go big man. A good rope makes a big difference. I use the Rogue Speed Ropes. Some people like the ropes short, while others like them long. I'm 5'7" and I like the long ropes better.
    Is there really much of a difference to rogues speed ropes opposed to regular speed ropes like this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Buyjumpropes-n...rds=speed+rope

    They seem very similar only rogues is much more expensive.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  9. #8
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Is there really much of a difference to rogues speed ropes opposed to regular speed ropes like this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Buyjumpropes-n...rds=speed+rope

    They seem very similar only rogues is much more expensive.
    There is definitely a difference. The rogues are a lot faster, I believe they have bearings in the handle or something to make them spin faster. Could be wrong, only played around with one once.
    6'1", 215lbs

    Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

  10. #9
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Is there really much of a difference to rogues speed ropes opposed to regular speed ropes like this one?
    http://www.amazon.com/Buyjumpropes-n...rds=speed+rope

    They seem very similar only rogues is much more expensive.
    They look similar, but I'd have to try them and see. The price is g that much of a difference and the ones from rogue have free shipping, so I don't know if it is enough of a difference that I'd want to take a chance.

    Edit: I just checked and they are both free shipping, but I can't tell who makes the one for Rogue.
    Last edited by Paulo_Santos; 04-19-2013 at 06:40 PM.

  11. #10
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Way to go big man. A good rope makes a big difference. I use the Rogue Speed Ropes. Some people like the ropes short, while others like them long. I'm 5'7" and I like the long ropes better.
    Definitely agree, this one is a Vulcan rope (5 ropes for $30) and is adjustable. I watched a video online on adjusting the length and with the rope under my foot the handles come up to my mid-chest which seems to be a good height. With the longer ropes I have to jump a bit higher since I am also about 5'7-5'8.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Box jumps at the END of a circuit? Man, you crazy? I know you know your shit, but that's the classic recipe to tear an achilles.
    The circuit was 18" deadlifts with chains and SSB box squats then finishing off with a couple of reps on box jump - nothing high rep and the first two movements were not involving any jumping. I try to moderate the amount of jumping (jump rope included) since I have had some overuse issues in the past with patellar tendonitis, etc.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  12. #11
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    There is definitely a difference. The rogues are a lot faster, I believe they have bearings in the handle or something to make them spin faster. Could be wrong, only played around with one once.
    Just an FYI, those ropes don't have any bearings. The difference in quality will be the material of the speed rope cables or whatever they are called.

  13. #12
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    Just an FYI, those ropes don't have any bearings. The difference in quality will be the material of the speed rope cables or whatever they are called.
    http://www.roguefitness.com/ropes-as...jump-ropes.php

    That was the one I was thinking of, thought it had bearings in it
    6'1", 215lbs

    Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

  14. #13
    Senior Member Paulo_Santos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    http://www.roguefitness.com/ropes-as...jump-ropes.php

    That was the one I was thinking of, thought it had bearings in it
    Yes, those do. I was referring to these. We have several of these and they work great. They do sting your arms when you mess up sometimes. LOL
    http://www.roguefitness.com/ultra-sp...jump-ropes.php

Similar Threads

  1. Routine with a good mix of heavy lifts & high intensity?
    By skimmilk68 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM
  2. KFC Double Down
    By teeroy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 08:20 PM
  3. 275 Double @ 175 BW
    By Painzer in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 06:24 AM
  4. double WBB#1
    By porto_6 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 11:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •