Thread: CrossFit Open 2013

Hybrid View

CrossFit Open 2013

Anyone here planning on getting in on the action this year? Looks like everything starts on 3/6/13...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I'm not but I love following the results and watching the video entries.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I'll do as mrelwoddodw is doing .

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Makes sense... I will be watching as well and may try one or two of the workouts if they post something interesting (not an official entry though).

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

I did the snatch workout last year that was miserable.

135x30
    165x30
    185x30
    205xmax

I think that's what it was. 10 minute cap. I got through 60. There were a handful of guys that got 5+ with 205. That's incredible.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    I did the snatch workout last year that was miserable.

135x30
    165x30
    185x30
    205xmax

I think that's what it was. 10 minute cap. I got through 60. There were a handful of guys that got 5+ with 205. That's incredible.
    That one did sound brutal! I just found it online and here are the specifics:

Workout 12.2:

Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 10 minutes of:
    75 pound Snatch, 30 reps
    135 pound Snatch, 30 reps
    165 pound Snatch, 30 reps
    210 pound Snatch, as many reps as possible

It said on the Crossfit site that Dan Bailey hit 95 reps total meaning (5) reps with 210 lbs, which is pretty crazy.

Might have to give that one a try some time...

whoops, sorry about the inflation. lol
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Wannabebig Member
    I'm getting in on the Open this year. I'm following a largely Westside style template with the help of Rick Scarpulla over the phone. Rick has been helping out a number of CrossFitters lately and he is awesome! My prep schedule is as follows:

Sunday AM: Interval sprints or sled (30s on, 3 min off x 8) PM: CrossFit Workout
    Monday Max Effort Lower Body with short conditioning component
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday DE Upper and CF Workout
    Thursday DE Lower and CF Workout
    Friday ME Upper and short conditioning component
    Saturday Rest

As I get closer to the open more and more of the accessory work will be movements favored by CF competitions (thrusters, ring dips, overhead squats, light high rep deadlifts, push press, etc). Haven't figured out my exact schedule during the 5 weeks of the open, exactly.

Last year I was 164 out of ~1800 people in my region who completed all 5 workouts. My goal is to do better than 164th despite a (presumably) larger field this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M. View Post
    I'm getting in on the Open this year. I'm following a largely Westside style template with the help of Rick Scarpulla over the phone. Rick has been helping out a number of CrossFitters lately and he is awesome! My prep schedule is as follows:

Sunday AM: Interval sprints or sled (30s on, 3 min off x 8) PM: CrossFit Workout
    Monday Max Effort Lower Body with short conditioning component
    Tuesday Rest
    Wednesday DE Upper and CF Workout
    Thursday DE Lower and CF Workout
    Friday ME Upper and short conditioning component
    Saturday Rest

As I get closer to the open more and more of the accessory work will be movements favored by CF competitions (thrusters, ring dips, overhead squats, light high rep deadlifts, push press, etc). Haven't figured out my exact schedule during the 5 weeks of the open, exactly.

Last year I was 164 out of ~1800 people in my region who completed all 5 workouts. My goal is to do better than 164th despite a (presumably) larger field this year.
    Congratulations on making the top 10% last year, it sounds like you have a good plan to improve this year as well.

Please keep us posted on your results/progress once things get started.

I am will be competing in the Open this year. I missed it be a couple weeks last year.

Just did a version of the Snatch WOD with Powercleans (and heavier weights). Got to 74, so still a little work to go.
    Last edited by DaveA; 02-07-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    First workout in the books. It was a brutal 17 minute burpee snatch ladder.

MEN - includes Masters Men up to 54 years old
    Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 17 minutes of:
    40 Burpees
    75 pound Snatch, 30 reps
    30 Burpees
    135 pound Snatch, 30 reps
    20 Burpees
    165 pound Snatch, 30 reps
    10 burpees
    210 pound Snatch, as many reps as possible

I got 164 reps, meaning 14 reps at 165. I hit a wall at the 20 burpee round. Still got a good number of reps, though, after that. That score placed me at 195 out of 6700 in the South East region.

The number of people competing this year is CRAZY. Over 120,000 people submitted scores for the first workout! Over twice as many as last year. Can't wait to see what's up next, though it probably won't be as heavy as I like.

If anyone else has given this a shot (CrossFitter or not) I'd love to hear your impressions.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Anyone have a go at 13.2?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Ive done 2 conditioning workouts in about 3 months. I did it for shits and grins. Went 7 rounds. If I spent 2-3 weeks working on some conditioning work, I believe I could have gone 9 or so. That entire workout is about the box jumps or step ups. If you can do those you'll do well.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wannabebig Member
    I got 9 rds plus 2 reps on 13.2. Not as high as I wanted. Just couldn't keep box jumping and Chub is absolutely right, for anyone that is anywhere near competitive at CF this workout was all about the box jumps. I don't normally do them in my conditioning workouts (because I think the risk/reward ratio is too high, mainly) and I think that hurt me. Ah well. Just have to do better on the upcoming ones. Hoping for something a little heavy, but not expecting too much.

Dave, I haven't done any of the open workouts, but I do box jumps almost every week. About two years ago I almost busted my knee when I jumped down from doing a box jump. Now I step down every time and I have no problem.

I did 5 leisurely rounds with the wife and kid. The 8 year old beat me but her form was atrocious. ALso, she didn't Rx it. . Didn't time it, but rounds 3-5 were easier than round 1 for me. I am with Chubs, with some conditioning I could have doubled that in 10 minutes.
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 03-20-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

Wannabebig Member
    I've done all 4 wods so far. Good times. The programming is always so boring in the Open. Unless you're trying to go to Regionals - where the fun starts, I'd rather just do a local competition.

Wannabebig Member
    Update: I finished 241 in the Southeast region, which is top 6%. Last year was top 8.6%, so it was an improvement, though not quite as high as I'd have liked.

Anything with weight went well, box jumps went poorly, and in the future I need to keep in mind that CrossFit uses a LOT of quad dominant exercises. The Thrusters and over-the-top number of wallball reps left me with quite a bit of quad soreness. Need more Quad assistance work if preparing for future events.

Anyway, back to getting STRONGER!

That is what drove me away from crossfit, it never seems balanced. Well that and I can't justify paying upwards of $120/month when I would rather program my own workouts.

Crossfit gyms here are somewhere around $200 a month. Who can afford that? The workouts aren't balanced at all, but I can't argue with the results. I'd really enjoy doing it but financially it makes no sense.
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

You can do CrossFit workouts at home if you have a nice home gym or at a Globo if they have an all purpose room. And the best part of it is that you can do your own programming to suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo_Santos View Post
    You can do CrossFit workouts at home if you have a nice home gym or at a Globo if they have an all purpose room. And the best part of it is that you can do your own programming to suit your needs.
    Yeah, crossfit puts up the wod everyday. But I've found it to be a whole lot less fun doing it by myself
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    Yeah, crossfit puts up the wod everyday. But I've found it to be a whole lot less fun doing it by myself
    LOL. Can't help you there.