The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Carb timing and late night training

Because of my work hours I am now training at night between 8:30-10pm on weekdays. I am about to transition out of my bulk and into a cut but I am confused on how to time my carbs with such a late training session. When I used to train at midday I took most of my carbs around my workout but I don't know if it's a good idea any more as they will be so close to sleep.

I wont be on a low carb diet, I will be on 50% pro 35% carbs 15% fat.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The only time carb timing is relevant is when you want to spike certain things such as your "energy" (super broad term there) before or during a workout or for when you want to refuel. Having carbs before bed doesn't do shit when it comes to adding excess weight which is contradictory to a lot of main stream diet info. The only way it could lead to bad things is if you consume hundreds of certain carbohydrates that spike your insulin levels and then pound a cheeseburger. Like many wise people have said before: "There is no little guy in your stomach deciding how to use nutrients based on the time of day they are consumed."
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Why wouldn't it still be a good idea. Post workout is the best time to ingest carbs because insulin sensitivity is elevated. Ignore the rumors about eating before you go to bed.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Why wouldn't it still be a good idea. Post workout is the best time to ingest carbs because insulin sensitivity is elevated. Ignore the rumors about eating before you go to bed.
    This.

Nothing is wrong with eating carbs before bed if it fits your macros. One could even argue its best to eat carbs at night especially if that's when you train.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

An individuals insulin sensitivity plays a role in carb intake, but if you are training at night then you should absolutely eat carbs at that time. If you are hitting your macros and have good balance in your meals then eating carbs before bed is fine.

If you are leaning up, I wouldn't have them at night. If you are trying to get bigger, I would have them no matter what time it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Alinshop View Post
    If you are leaning up, I wouldn't have them at night.
    You don't have to resort to this actually. As long as you keep it reasonable, having carbohydrates in your system before bed wont act as a negative. Your body will use the energy you consumed regardless if you ate it an hour ago or 12 hours ago. The issue comes if you eat a lot of carbs at night and then follow up with a lot of carbs the next day leading to a calorie surplus. And thats even if those extra calories bring you over your diet calorie levels.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."