Thread: 15 Skinny and looking to Bulk up.

Wannabebig Member

15 Skinny and looking to Bulk up.

Hey everybody I recently just started to increase my body muscle and put on some pounds. So if it isn't to much trouble I need some help. I'm new to weight lifting and this forum. Alright so let's get down to business. My height is 5"6" and I weigh only 105 lbs I'm also 15 and 1/2. I know I need at least 8 hours of sleep to help my body to grow but sometimes that just isn't possible on my schedule. My metabolism is super fast so I know I have to eat more. But I would like you to help me with nutrition too. Don't really know anything about it. Anyways if you could design an outline of what I should lift excersises to do etc. anything else that is important. I have a access to a weight room daily. Also one more thig can weight lifting stunt my growth??? I will be very dedicated in this endeavor!

Thanks to everybody who answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Counterpunch View Post
    Hey everybody I recently just started to increase my body muscle and put on some pounds. So if it isn't to much trouble I need some help. I'm new to weight lifting and this forum. Alright so let's get down to business. My height is 5"6" and I weigh only 105 lbs I'm also 15 and 1/2. I know I need at least 8 hours of sleep to help my body to grow but sometimes that just isn't possible on my schedule. My metabolism is super fast so I know I have to eat more. But I would like you to help me with nutrition too. Don't really know anything about it. Anyways if you could design an outline of what I should lift excersises to do etc. anything else that is important. I have a access to a weight room daily. Also one more thig can weight lifting stunt my growth??? I will be very dedicated in this endeavor!

Thanks to everybody who answers.
    CounterPunch -

Putting on size is going to involve a number of factors as you address in your post - Diet, Trainnig, and Lifestyle (sleep, etc.). I will address each factor individually and try to provide you with simple to follow advice to help you in your quest to bulk up.

Training:

Here is a simple 3-day split that will cover all major muscle groups, make sure to train with a high level of intensity going to failure on at least one set per exercise. Since you are a beginner you can increase the volume (number of sets) slightly on the movements toward the end of the workouts.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

Additional Information: For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range. On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.

Nutrition:

This is going to be equally as important as your training. You should focus on eating calorie dense and high quality foods:

- Steak
    - Ground Beef
    - Pasta with Grilled Chicken
    - Milk (or Cereal)
    - Eggs
    - Natural Peanut Butter (or Natural PB Sandwiches)
    - Almonds
    - Salmon
    - Baked Beans
    - Meal Replacement Shakes

They key is going to be to have snacks between meals (and with you throughout the day) so that you can eat as much as possible. Also,adding a meal before bed (can of tuna, handfull of almonds, glass of milk, etc.) will help you to pack on size.

Lifestyle:

I know that you mentioned that you have difficulty sleeping, but when you start to train with high intensity it is going to be important to get enough rest. You should also try to minimize stress factors when possible (avoid drama) as that can have a negative impact on your appetite/gains.

Hope this helps, and if you have any specific questions just let me know.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wait.... What in your 15 year old schedule prevents you from getting 8 hours of sleep per night?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Counterpunch,

I def endorse what Tom Mutuffis just posted. The only thing I would do different than him is add a day strictly for shoulders with rear delt work involved. As far as diet goes, the only way I actually knew how much is eating is when I started to weigh and measure my food. I know this might seem extreme to much but at least I know the exact amount of protein, carbs, and fats I'm eating.

Marr

Wannabebig Member
    Wow thanks Tom that was such a good reply. And to others I have sports honors classes and have to wake up everyday at 5:50. But mostly I get to bed for about 7-8 hours of sleep. As for nutrition wow this is a big one. First off my mom doesn't cook a lot of steak, But she does cook chicken often I suppose. Usually my mom makes something to eat or I make tesla something or my dad. So I'll try to eat all the things you said and then some and I LOVE milk!
    List of things I eat often
    Grilled Cheese sandwiches
    Quesadillas
    Almonds, nuts beans.
    Salads
    Pasta
    Spaghetti
    Etc.
    Fruit
    Vegetables
    Cereal
    Whatever my mom cooks.

Ok so that's it for nutrition I eat school lunches or make myself one. School lunches aren't that good either. As for my excercises

Today I did Shoulders,arms. Tommorow Idk what were going to do. I'm in a weights class at school btw. So usually I do whatever he puts on the board. But I'm gonna use that list Tom posted next week. Also how long do I have to do this to get results?? 4 months?? And sometimes my teacher has us max like 2 times per semester. Is that healthy? I noticed tons list only said Monday, Wednesday and Friday . What about Tuesday and Thursday? I know you have to let our muscls heal but were still required to workout in my class on those days.

From now on I'm going to make sure I get 8 hours of sleep. I also will stay dedicated to the workout program. Also can any of you tell me if weight lifting stunts your growth?

That's about it I'm going to try to get as much nutrition as I can.

Thanks again Tom!

Going to download an app and do someone search to count calories consumed everyday. Also how many calories do I need to sustain myself AND sustain my muscles.
    Last edited by Counterpunch; 01-23-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Confused
    A good way to get some extra calories in is to make some home made weight gainers. There quick and easy i'll usually make them at night one for the morning and one before i go to sleep. I know there's probably better recipes out there but ill give you mine.

1-cup oats
    1 scoop your choice of protein powder
    1 banana
    1 tablespoon of peanut butter
    2 cups of milk

That makes 1 serving, blend that stuff up and drink it down baby! You might want to try protein pancakes for breakfast too. There's a ton of different recipes out there man. Its all about diet son trainings the easy part! Good luck keep us updated, and start a journal.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Wait.... What in your 15 year old schedule prevents you from getting 8 hours of sleep per night?
    Xbox or PS3?
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Wannabebig Member
    Neither I have a lot of homework and have to wake up at 5. Usually I get about 7-8 hours of sleep.

Can lifting stunt my growth? And I'll eat a blender once Ina while.

There is some concern about heavy lifting causing premature fusing of the growth plates. With that said I have seen arguments against that. For instance, if you run and jump as kids do there are greater forces placed on the lower body than when squatting with a barbell.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Hey thanks. I'm not going I be doing real heavy lifts but I am going to design a plan of the weights I'll do one ach day. Also I searched for an app to help me in my quest and found an awesome app called daily burn. It told me the calories I burn while lifting and the calories I'm eating everyday. So to put on the pounds I just ate over y calorie limit. For today only I had 2600 calories when I'm supposed to have about 2200 daily. I use about 300 calories more during P.E and weights. So My body now has 100 extra calories. So like I said If I do this everyday while lifting I'll get bigger throughout my whole body not just my arms etc. The key for me was finding how much calories I needed and how much I burn. I will definitley keep you all updated. Maybe at the end I'll post a pic after four months. Gl to me and my Bulking! good to know weights can't stunt my growth. Thank you everybody!!! Also I'm going to get 8 hours or more everyday from now on. I can't do it tonight only 7 hours atm. But later I'll make sure I goto bed at 11 or 10. One more thing. As a bonus for me I have culinary arts class after weights everyday so a good way to recover the energy I lost during weights by eating what I cook. Night all.

Also big special thanks to Tom! I'll PM you when I'm done bulking.

If you have anymore advice for me from your personal experience please tell me.

Are you saying you plan on always eating 100 extra calories to gain weight?

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Counterpunch... I think you need to learn a lot more about gaining weight especially as it pertains to teens like yourself. Read this article to get an idea of what I mean:

https://www.atlargenutrition.com/med...MMASSGuide.pdf

Wannabebig Member
    I read that it told me what I already know mainly about nutrition. But I'm wondering am I doing all this bulking stuff correctly?

I read that it told me what I already know mainly about nutrition. But I'm wondering am I doing all this bulking stuff correctly?
    The purpose of calorie dense foods is so that you can eat a surplus of calories which in turn will cause weight gain. By eating higher quality foods that weight can gain be mostly lean mass. The reason that many people track their food intake closely is because they have a specific goal and consistency is very important with diet - eating a little extra 1-2 times per week is not going to do anything for you in the big picture. In order to pack on size you need to consistently consume more calories than you are burning. It is not unreasonable for it to take 3-4 weeks for you to gain each pound, even if you feel like you are always eating.

Liquid calories are a great way to stack on size and so if you drink a glass of milk with each meal, or even some fruit juice with meals that already contain a lot of protein and are low in fat then it will give you a solid boost in overall calorie intake.

Eating before bed is another key principle for gaining mass as you are looking at a 7-8 hour fasting period when you sleep - so if your last meal is 3-4 hours before bed then you are looking at a pretty significant period of time without food.

If you are having trouble meeting your caloric needs another good method is to go to a buffet once per week and eat until you cannot even look at any more food (preferably the day before or after an intense lower-body training session).

Hope this helps...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

skinny
    This thread has so much information for beginners, should be stickied /bookmarked/favorited etc

Huh? The whole article is about bulking...

Anyway, ok, you know and lot yet your questions and statements indicate you know almost nothing. You aren't bulking on 2k ish calories.

How do you know how many calories you are "supposed" to have daily?

Tom already told you what to do. If you want to gain lean mass with a minimum of fat you have to count calories. After that it is simply a matter of monitoring your body fat and body weight once weekly and making adjustments to your intake when needed.