The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My morals are Mine!

So a little bio on myself. I own a S&C gym in the Houston area. We do lots of compound movements, pushing, pulling, squat, and lunge just to name a few. It is not a commercial gym so I don't have any machines or fancy equipment. just bars, weights, racks, benches, dumbbells, kettle bells, and bands. I have recently decided to start bodybuilding so my gym for the most part is useless. So I got a membership at a commercial gym in my area. Some are calling me a hypocrite for not practicing what I teach, but I say bodybuilding is just another notch in the old fitness belt that I can pass on to possible customer. Regardless, I am just curious on what others think about my situation. I am very passionate about teaching my programming and in no way is training at a commercial gym make me a hypocrite. I just don't have the required equipment. thoughts?
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

HT: 5'11 WT 225

B: 375 S:500 D:620

my training log http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ilder-training

my gym www.liftstrongrunfast2920.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Chris,

I would just tell them that your goals are different, but you still want to help others achieve there fitness goals whatever they may be. I feel like radiate positivity and success, they attract other like minded people. This will also intern make you a more well rounded coach because there isn't only one way to get fit. For some fitness is an hour out of there day, but you live and breath it, you own a gym for crying out loud. I would just brush there comments off and stay focused on your dreams. Don't let anyone ever tell you either dreaming to big or tell you your dream is stupid.

Matt

You can also certainly bodybuild just fine without machines. What gives you the idea you cannot?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Do you think they're making these comments based on the fact you are training somewhere else? Or do you think its due to the change of training ?
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

@Matt, thanks bro for the advice!
    @Chris, I guess I thought it would be easier to target individual muscle groups with machines better than bars and body weight movements. For instance, How would you target the quads like on a leg extension.
    @Whoopipally, I think its both.

Quote Originally Posted by starkcb View Post
    @Matt, thanks bro for the advice!
    @Chris, I guess I thought it would be easier to target individual muscle groups with machines better than bars and body weight movements. For instance, How would you target the quads like on a leg extension.
    @Whoopipally, I think its both.
    Sissy squats target the quads just as well as leg extensions. Hack squats with a barbell target the quads as do front squats and so on. You can build an amazing physique with just barbells and dumbbells. Given your situation it might be best for you to do just that at your own gym.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I guess I need to broaden my knowledge base on the sport. As of now I will continue to train at the other gym. I see it as a networking tool in the community and a great way to meet others in the sport. unless it starts affecting my business negatively of course! Thanks Chris

I thought bodybuilding included compound and isolation movements with barbells and db's?
    Not trying to be a dick but how can you convince other possible clients your gym is where someone needs to be if your at a gym other than your own? I think you will push people away. Just saying bro.. Your gym... Your business but you put it out there.
    Ht 5'3"
    Wt 186lbs
    Squat 405
    Deads 450
    Bench 325

Stanton,
    your not being a dick....And im not saying bodybuilding doesn't involve those movements. I feel that having the machines around would be that extra help. Lift Strong Run Fast is the name of my Gym and the program. We really don't have bodybuilders that train here but I want to have the knowledge to pass on from bodybuilding. Our programing follows the conjugate system that the westside crew uses. ours is toned down a little and focuses on running as well. thanks for your input.

So what makes you happy.

alinshop,

that's a great question. at this point I really don't know. all I do know is that I love training in the gym. ill give bodybuilding a shot and if I like it ill continue...but if not then ill give powerlifting a shot...generally speaking I like lifting heavier but a change is nice!

Well, for the issue of people looking down on you for changing training styles: You can either pull a few people you respect aside and explain to them why your pursuing this and ask for their support, then ignore all the negative people, or, you can just ignore everyone. Choice is yours.

As far as where you train, maybe consider trying your place first and see what gains you can get with the basic equipment you have. That way you will see what machines and other accessories you truly need. Hell, invest in some of those machines for your own gym once you find out which ones are worth it. If your excuse for going to the other place is networking possibilities and meeting new people in the field then by all means go there once or twice a week. You can go to both places and keep it balanced.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."