Thread: Ab Trainers for a skinny dude

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Ab Trainers for a skinny dude

Hello I'm looking for some advice please:

I have a rather Work in progress six pack. But I don't like doing crunches, nor can I use my sit up bench because of a knee problem.
    Now because I'm like a stick ( but I'm training to get bigger but skinny guys will know what a pain this is )
    I would like to know if them Electric ab toners work for skinny people. Alot of people use them for fat loss..... Well I don't need that XD If I lost any more fat I'd have to watch the weather to know if there was a gale force wind out XD.

Alot of people said Dark_light, you don't need it, you've already got a six back... But you know I'm not happy with it.

I've uploaded a photo of my work in progress abs and I'm seeking advice.

I would like to thank you all for your time reading this post and I hope you have a great day/night.

Dark_light

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...icture155d.jpg
    Last edited by Dark_light_uk; 01-28-2013 at 03:41 AM.

Abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick... they don't count.
    36 yr old novice PL

Best lifts (non competition):
    Squat - 305
    Bench - 300
    Deathlift - 405

My Training Log -
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...s-Training-Log

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick... they don't count.
    You took 30 seconds of your life to post that?
    Seriously....

EDIT: Skinny or not, I'm working on myself. I only asked for advice...

EDIT 2: And your 36, and the most mature thing you could say was that ? I pity your wife!
    Last edited by Dark_light_uk; 01-28-2013 at 07:07 AM.

I mean he does have a point.

In honesty, though, I think you'll be disappointed if you decide to focus on your abs. You simply don't have enough muscle mass there to really make them "pop" out, and to get appreciable growth in those muscles you really do have to hit them hard with heavy loading. Those electrostim machines are actually useful for PT of atrophied muscles and the like, because they're very low grade stimulators that don't really stress connective tissue much- good for returning basic function to weakened muscle, but not very good at stimulating growth in healthy muscles.

Abs are like any other muscle- it's very rare for them to blow past other muscle groups in terms of growth (and therefore size and definition) if you're relatively light overall- the best thing you can do to make abs stand out if you're a smaller guy is to drop fat- as much as possible. At your size, if you focused on bodyfat loss, you'd be ripped but very, very light. My advice if you want great abs- you need a bit more mass overall.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    I mean he does have a point.

In honesty, though, I think you'll be disappointed if you decide to focus on your abs. You simply don't have enough muscle mass there to really make them "pop" out, and to get appreciable growth in those muscles you really do have to hit them hard with heavy loading. Those electrostim machines are actually useful for PT of atrophied muscles and the like, because they're very low grade stimulators that don't really stress connective tissue much- good for returning basic function to weakened muscle, but not very good at stimulating growth in healthy muscles.

Abs are like any other muscle- it's very rare for them to blow past other muscle groups in terms of growth (and therefore size and definition) if you're relatively light overall- the best thing you can do to make abs stand out if you're a smaller guy is to drop fat- as much as possible. At your size, if you focused on bodyfat loss, you'd be ripped but very, very light. My advice if you want great abs- you need a bit more mass overall.
    Agreed at the mass bit. I'm currently training and despite the despot picture I showed you all, I'm very happy with the way I'm turning out.

Just so I can save a little face here, I've uploaded yesterday's Photo with an older photo to show you how far I've come along.
    I'm proud of myself and no one can take that away from me.

Before I stated anything: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...icture1yo.jpg/

Yesterday: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...cture157b.jpg/

Any more advice would be helpful, and may I thank you for helping me!
    IF there was a way to give a thumbs up to rep Alex.V you'd be getting one !

I'm a hard gainer and ab crunches make me feel ill. I do have a sit up bench but my knees have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osgood%...latter_disease
    Which makes things kinda painful at the best of times.

Thank you so much for your advice man, truly its appreciated!

EDIT: point or none, to say that was kinda a waste of my time really reading it. At least your post had a element of substance
    Last edited by Dark_light_uk; 01-28-2013 at 07:21 AM.

Listen to what Alex said. Gaining some strength and mass will only help in the long run. Think of your body as a thing of marble stone. The more you have, the more you can chip away with a chisel to shape yourself to your desire. Its much more difficult if you don't have enough of the basic building block.
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."