Thread: The Great Bodybuilding Debate

The Great Bodybuilding Debate

Here is a interesting video on diet and nutrition. What works better for building muscle and loosing fat, self experimentation and experience or hard science?? A veteran national level bodybuilding competitor and an advocate for safety and moderation discuss this hot topic.

You decide.. Thoughts? Opinions?

Video

I can't listen to that kid for 50 minutes without wanting to smack him.

Without getting too much into it.. I'm a HUGE advocate of the science, don't get me wrong, but I also realize that these "science minded" brats need to understand its limitations, which they often do not. Science, by nature, is open to questioning and modification.

If, empirically speaking (through experience), you consistently and repeatedly get one result, yet the existing research states this should not be what you get, then the error lies with the research. The entire point of the data and analysis is to be able to predict and improve upon trial and error... in this field, it still can't do that. So, essentially, I can appreciate both sides- "bro" science doesn't just refer to bodybuilding mythologies, it also refers to crap science that fails to understand what it DOESN'T tell you.

There are a lot of things that people do now, whether it be meal frequency or whatever, that work for reasons that may go beyond the realities of digestion, thermic effect of food, etc. Satiation, even energy levels fueling marginally higher basal activity, etc. etc. Trying to boil this all down to a few variables is the kind of science a 19 year old would do. Human physiology is an extraordinarily complex field, and requires a huge amount of experience-based input to bolster the (still relatively) paltry amount of research behind it.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Well put Alex. I couldn't agree more. There will always be more than one way to produce results and just because something isn't backed by science doesn't mean it won't work.

One problem with the industry is with all the so called gurus who are starting to throw out all this crap info to just try and make themselves sound smarter than they are and when someone without much experience hears it they take it and run with it. For example you have George farah who is stating that taking in carbs post workout supresses GH production so you are wasting your workout by not waiting at least 30-45 min before taking in carbs, really!! And the statement made by Hany that protein shakes make the muscle look soft, another bullshit statement. AT most if you are extremely lean protein shakes may make you hold a bit of water, but that isn't even really relevant.

I do not have a lot of respect for some of the high end gurus out there who are just throwing things like this around to make them stand out. Yes they train pros, but you can do a lot of things wrong with someone at the elite genetic level and they will still look great. There are few coaches I respect in this industry, John Meadows, Scott Abel, Louie simmons, etc.. to name a few. People who do research the scientific part but also realize that its not the be all end all and stick with priciples but have there own artistic way of doing things.

after watching this all i could think about was this scene from south park :P

http://youtu.be/WoudYNeVn5E
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485