Thread: PR'S

PR'S

Just want to ask the older guys like myself a question about PR's. When you are training and wanting to hit a PR, is the PR an all time best or what? I will be 49 years old next month and when I'm training and wanting to hit a PR it is getting so hard to do so. I know what all of my all time best PR's are from 1990 to present and use this as my guide. It is very hard to beat a PR from when I was at my peak about eight to tens years ago and some even longer than that:help. Do you reset your PR's by age, weight class or what?

I personally don't, no. I am 42. At some point you most certainly will no longer be able to progress. That varies from lifter to lifter and drugs certainly make a difference.

Thank Chris

Quote Originally Posted by powerm64 View Post
    Just want to ask the older guys like myself a question about PR's. When you are training and wanting to hit a PR, is the PR an all time best or what? I will be 49 years old next month and when I'm training and wanting to hit a PR it is getting so hard to do so. I know what all of my all time best PR's are from 1990 to present and use this as my guide. It is very hard to beat a PR from when I was at my peak about eight to tens years ago and some even longer than that:help. Do you reset your PR's by age, weight class or what?
    Im not as old as you but I know the feeling. I have trained at 305 all the way down to the 230's. I have done things I could only dream about now but Im also 50 pounds lighter now. TO combat the fact that all my biggest lifts are most likely behind me(Unless I go back up to 300plus) I make different goals. Like doing new weight classes or going 9 for 9 or making all three dealdifts come meet day(Something i have only done once in 35-40 meets LOL). Spice it up and dont let numbers be your only measure of success.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by powerm64 View Post
    One way to reach PR's is to work in new exercises and try to make consistent progress with them (not just doing something new for a default PR). An example would be if you never squat with bands and then you try it and squat 315 lbs + Doubled Mini Bands, and use that as a 'baseline' for Future PR's.

I know a lot of lifters also keep track of weight class specific PR's so if you previously lifted in the 220's and now you are in the 198's you would re-set for PR's specific to that weight class, and just documenting them differently in your training journal.

Hope this helps.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com