Thread: First bench shirt help

First bench shirt help

I've been debating buying a bench shirt mostly to just learn how to use it, and maybe compete in geared lifting in the future. Does anyone have any advice on whether I should get a single-ply or multi-ply shirt? I'll be honest, I want to have some fun with it.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Titan F6, 1ply: very good shirt to start, imho

You can go single ply or loose double ply. Personally, I recommend trying someone else's or getting one used.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

If you're in the market for a shirt to learn in, I have both a lightly used F6 and Super Katana, I believe they're either size 48 or 50. Both single ply, both great shirts, and for you probably large enough you can get into with minimal effort.

Just if you want to try something out before committing to a new shirt @ comp fit. You can have either one for less than half of what they cost me.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I'd say single ply personally. I think my problem is chest plate is too narrow on any shirt I have tried, can't touch 400 lbs in a single ply. With that said I have a size 52 2 ply ragex I would sell if you decided to go that route, it's been sitting a long time.

I started in a single rage x and have used a few others since then and am now back in the rage x it's a great shirt, best advice I think I could give you for shirt benching is be patient! Good luck

Get a loose double ply, with an open back. It's incredibly easy to get on and you can typically touch in your first session in it.

I started way back when in single ply. Hated every minute of it. Switched to wearing double ply shirts that were much too big for me and I actually started enjoying benching in a shirt. I don't want to spend 20min getting my shirt on. Plus I tend to actually hit a point of diminishing returns with tight gear. Too tight and I will actually bench less in it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

So after having another bad bench session (2nd week in a row) I've started to rethink getting a shirt a bit mostly because my form is feeling more and more inconsistent when I bench.

Would you guys say you should have your form nailed down first (consistent reps, consistent set up on the bench) before getting a shirt? One of the biggest problems I have is getting a consistent setup on the bench, sometimes it feels great and other times awful.

I appreciate all the replies, the shirts all sound good, looks like I'm about 46 chest so I assume I could get a 48 to learn in.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Setup issues like that are usually mental. You need to really focus on setting up the same each time and treating each weight the same.

However I wouldn't let that dissuade you from getting a shirt if using equipment is what you are interested in. There are no rules that say that your technique has to be 100% perfect before you can use a shirt. Mine certainly wasn't.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Setup issues like that are usually mental. You need to really focus on setting up the same each time and treating each weight the same.

However I wouldn't let that dissuade you from getting a shirt if using equipment is what you are interested in. There are no rules that say that your technique has to be 100% perfect before you can use a shirt. Mine certainly wasn't.
    Any recommendations for a multi ply? I'm leaning toward getting a loose multi ply at this point. I've been looking at the metal jack but I have no idea if that's too advanced or not to start in.

Edit: I tend to bench with a very big arch, that should come in to play when selecting a shirt right?
    Last edited by DontTakeEmOff31; 02-03-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

I have never benched with a multi ply.

I bought a F6 to star competing in geared tournaments, and amongst other guys, Travis gave me a good help.

The issue with IPF single ply shirts, is to get someone that has a huge load of experience with them. Itīs a hole different world.

In the begining, I tried all the tips from internet gurus and guess what? I got so pissed off, that my only feelings where to burn the god dammed shirt!!!!

I tried to do it by myself with my teammates (all RAW lifters) for like 3 months and couldnīt manage to touch my chest, until I contacted an experienced competitor in geared shirts. In my first training session with him I touched and made a nice lift.........

Donīt get frustrated, get personal help and everything will get easier.