The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6

    Help an ectomorph out... Please!

    Hey guys, i'm an ectomorphic male and have been training for almost 3 years - as you can imagine I find it difficult putting on size. I've made decent gains on my sholders, back and chest over the years but my arms have become under-developed and now look out of proportion (big body, skinny arms)

    This may sound silly but should I only focus on my biceps, triceps and forearms until my arms are back in proportion with the rest of my body?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Moderator Matthew Bryduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    375
    No, I would continue to train your dominate body parts. Do you devote a training day just for your arms? If not I would definitely start doing that and train them twice a week (which would increase the frequency you train them). Try the advice I listed to you and be patient, we all have those lagging body parts. Growth will also come faster if you develop the mind to muscle connection on your arms.

    Matt


    Quote Originally Posted by thatkidsteve View Post
    Hey guys, i'm an ectomorphic male and have been training for almost 3 years - as you can imagine I find it difficult putting on size. I've made decent gains on my sholders, back and chest over the years but my arms have become under-developed and now look out of proportion (big body, skinny arms)

    This may sound silly but should I only focus on my biceps, triceps and forearms until my arms are back in proportion with the rest of my body?

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the advice Matt. I usually do biceps 1 day then triceps another day - are you saying I should do 2 days of bis and tris a week?

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    No, I would continue to train your dominate body parts. Do you devote a training day just for your arms? If not I would definitely start doing that and train them twice a week (which would increase the frequency you train them). Try the advice I listed to you and be patient, we all have those lagging body parts. Growth will also come faster if you develop the mind to muscle connection on your arms.

    Matt

  5. #4
    Moderator Matthew Bryduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    375
    I would combine your biceps/triceps into one day of training and I would do this arm day twice a week.

  6. #5
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,609
    Let's be a bit more specific. What does your training routine look like (not just for arms)?

    Chris


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  7. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Hi Chris, my routine can be quite varied. Upper body looks something like this:

    Monday > Chest:-
    Incline bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Flat bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Flat db bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Flys (3 burnout sets till failure)

    Wednesday > Delts:-
    Military press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Wide-grip upright row (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Seated Arnold press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Inverted rows (3 burnout sets till failure)

    Thursday > Biceps:-
    E-Z bar curls (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Hammer curls (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Incline db curls (4 sets. 6 reps)
    Then to burn out I grab an E-Z bar with a light weight and curl using the 21 method

    Saturday > Traps:-
    Close grip upright rows (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Shrugs behind the back (smith machine) (4 sets, 6 reps)
    DB shrugs (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Side lateral raises (3 burnout sets till failure)

    Sunday > Triceps:-
    Close grip bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Skullcrushers (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Rope pushdowns (4 sets, 6 reps)
    I like to burnout with dips or kick backs

    I started doing 3 exercises using a heavy weight and 1 final exercise using a lighter weight to burn out the muscle. Noticed decent gains using this method but would welcome your feed back. Thanks, Steve




    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Let's be a bit more specific. What does your training routine look like (not just for arms)?

    Chris

  8. #7
    Moderator Matthew Bryduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    375
    thatkidsteve,

    Have you thought about trying burn out method for all your sets?

  9. #8
    Senior Member DontTakeEmOff31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    139
    What's your diet look like?
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

    Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

  10. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Matthew - I haven't actually, do you think that would help gain size? I used to lift a moderate weight with 12 reps but decided to go heavier with less reps.

    DontTakeEmOff31 - to be honest I should be taking in more calories, i'm hitting about 3,000 a day and that includes protein, carbs - i'll eat anything to try and get bigger!

  11. #10
    Administrator chris mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    12,609
    Quote Originally Posted by thatkidsteve View Post
    Hi Chris, my routine can be quite varied. Upper body looks something like this:

    Monday > Chest:-
    Incline bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Flat bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Flat db bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Flys (3 burnout sets till failure)

    Wednesday > Delts:-
    Military press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Wide-grip upright row (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Seated Arnold press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Inverted rows (3 burnout sets till failure)

    Thursday > Biceps:-
    E-Z bar curls (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Hammer curls (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Incline db curls (4 sets. 6 reps)
    Then to burn out I grab an E-Z bar with a light weight and curl using the 21 method

    Saturday > Traps:-
    Close grip upright rows (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Shrugs behind the back (smith machine) (4 sets, 6 reps)
    DB shrugs (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Side lateral raises (3 burnout sets till failure)

    Sunday > Triceps:-
    Close grip bench press (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Skullcrushers (4 sets, 6 reps)
    Rope pushdowns (4 sets, 6 reps)
    I like to burnout with dips or kick backs

    I started doing 3 exercises using a heavy weight and 1 final exercise using a lighter weight to burn out the muscle. Noticed decent gains using this method but would welcome your feed back. Thanks, Steve
    If you are truly an ectomorph then I vote you are massively overtraining. You are doing waaayyyy too much for a natural trainee who has trouble adding lean muscle mass. Your arms won't grow because of the crazy amount of work you are loading them with. All forms of pressing work the heck out of the triceps and all forms of rowing work the biceps. Heck, I don't even directly train my biceps anymore and my arms are the biggest they have ever been (not saying you should not do some direct training).


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Wow, i'm genuinely shocked! I thought I wasn't doing enough - i'm never in the gym for longer than 45mins per session and I know and see guys who are in traning for hours!

    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    If you are truly an ectomorph then I vote you are massively overtraining. You are doing waaayyyy too much for a natural trainee who has trouble adding lean muscle mass. Your arms won't grow because of the crazy amount of work you are loading them with. All forms of pressing work the heck out of the triceps and all forms of rowing work the biceps. Heck, I don't even directly train my biceps anymore and my arms are the biggest they have ever been (not saying you should not do some direct training).

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    If you are truly an ectomorph then I vote you are massively overtraining. You are doing waaayyyy too much for a natural trainee who has trouble adding lean muscle mass. Your arms won't grow because of the crazy amount of work you are loading them with. All forms of pressing work the heck out of the triceps and all forms of rowing work the biceps. Heck, I don't even directly train my biceps anymore and my arms are the biggest they have ever been (not saying you should not do some direct training).
    Yea I barely train my arms as well. I used the BGB routine which suggest doing two different excersise for biceps but I only do 5x5 of seated curls and thats more then enough. Several people have told me my arms are huge.

  14. #13
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    I found a post about the BGB routine on here. Sounds like I need to rethink my routine!

    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Yea I barely train my arms as well. I used the BGB routine which suggest doing two different excersise for biceps but I only do 5x5 of seated curls and thats more then enough. Several people have told me my arms are huge.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by thatkidsteve View Post
    I found a post about the BGB routine on here. Sounds like I need to rethink my routine!
    Yea I found it on this site to and it's the best routine I've ever used and it's not even close.

Similar Threads

  1. Ectomorph trying to bulk up. Need help?
    By tennisrox4 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 07:31 AM
  2. Fat Ectomorph
    By rtrose in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM
  3. Extreme Ectomorph.
    By kmrobins in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 02:34 AM
  4. Diet for an Ectomorph
    By Red i Jedi in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 09:52 PM
  5. Ectomorph and Mesomorph
    By Coleman in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-22-2002, 03:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •