Thread: Overtraining

Overtraining

The whole topic of “Overtraining” is surrounded by a shroud of myths and misconceptions in bodybuilding circles. They're some fitness gurus believe that virtually everyone is overtraining, and then some other fitness gurus believe it’s impossible to overtrain.

I have been training for about 5 or 6 months training 6 to 7 days a week with awesome gains. What are your thoughts on overtraining? How often do you train? You do you follow a schedule or go off how you body feels?

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 02-05-2013 at 06:48 PM.

i have only been training 18 months, and for most of that time alot of what i did was whatever i felt like doing on the day. I made good progress and havent got injured or anything, definitely never felt like i was 'over-training'.

but i didnt like my half assed approach to training, i felt like i was selling myself short, i wanted to find out what actually works for me, instead of doing random shit all the time. and since i have started programming supp/access lifts correctly, using DE 3 week waves and choosing my exercises wisely... i do feel really fresh going into a workout and hit 5 PRs last month -that never happens!

from this its obvious to me im definitely not experienced enough to judge my workouts based on how i feel.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

It takes a lot to truly over train. More often than not the mind is the weak link IMO.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Agreed, mental toughness is huge while training. This separates the champions from the average.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    It takes a lot to truly over train. More often than not the mind is the weak link IMO.
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 02-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Not only that, but I would venture to say most of the time it is caused by outside interference anyway, not necessarily the actual training. Massive stress, poor nutrition, etc.

To answer the OP, I go 4 days a week (upper/lower) and simply just take a week off when I am feeling run down (it almost always happens when I am very busy outside the gym).

I hate deloading. If I can't go hard in the gym, I just don't go at all.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 02-05-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Not only that, but I would venture to say most of the time it is caused by outside interference anyway, not necessarily the actual training. Massive stress, poor nutrition, etc.

To answer the OP, I go 4 days a week (upper/lower) and simply just take a week off when I am feeling run down (it almost always happens when I am very busy outside the gym).

agreed. while training is usually the one place where i can switch off from everything else, ive recently been under alot of stress and cant seem to get in the zone right now.

i just do what i can do on the day and if i have a bad session i just write it off, no sense dwelling on afew bad workouts here and there.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

I don't believe in overtraining. I believe in under recovering. how often do you after a hard workout take supplementation, get a massage, sleep, take a bath, drink the right amount of water, fuel your body with nutrients. For the majority of us the answer is probably one or two at the most of these. if your body isnt recovering in a timely then people want to just say well you did to much (overtraining). not the case! try a little more recovery
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer

HT: 5'11 WT 225

B: 375 S:500 D:620

my training log http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ilder-training

my gym www.liftstrongrunfast2920.com

Overtraining is typically something people don't need to focus on. If people spent more time on getting the right amount of food in, getting the right amount of sleep and a good training split, it's something that wouldn't even be discussed.

Most aren't honestly even strong enough to be concerned with overtraining.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Overtraining is typically something people don't need to focus on. If people spent more time on getting the right amount of food in, getting the right amount of sleep and a good training split, it's something that wouldn't even be discussed.

Most aren't honestly even strong enough to be concerned with overtraining.
    this....

I learned all of this the hard way when I fancied a change and attempted smolov. The things I learned from just the base cycle in that one month in terms of recovery im still carrying through my training with me now and will for a long time to come
    Last edited by J L S; 02-05-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post

So, the real question is what results have you achieved with your method? What PRs in size or strength have you set in the last 6 months? What are your stats etc.?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree with the statement that "over training" is often a term misused for "under-recovering."
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Oh boy, overtraining is 100% real and the reason many, many people don't make the progress they could.

You can only do so much high intensity exercise and recover from it. The bigger and stronger you get, the less you can take. Now, intensity is the key. Training volume can be quite high with lower intensity work, but that which actually makes you bigger and or stronger is the higher intensity work and that has to be limited. Lower intensity work can and should be used for restorative reasons.

By the way, confusion over volume and intensity is the core of the whole overtraining argument.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Oh boy, overtraining is 100% real and the reason many, many people don't make the progress they could.

You can only do so much high intensity exercise and recover from it. The bigger and stronger you get, the less you can take. Now, intensity is the key. Training volume can be quite high with lower intensity work, but that which actually makes you bigger and or stronger is the higher intensity work and that has to be limited. Lower intensity work can and should be used for restorative reasons.

By the way, confusion over volume and intensity is the core of the whole overtraining argument.
    What is the line between High Intensity work and just regular, hard work? Are we talking about sets over 90% and such?

Or I guess a better question how can one tell if you're over training? What can you see in a template that should raise red flags?
    Last edited by Jonathan E; 02-05-2013 at 11:44 PM.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by starkcb View Post
    I don't believe in overtraining. I believe in under recovering.
    Agreed 100%.

Recovery and adequate eating, I'm beginning to find, are the key.

With the cardio I've added to my routine, it's really hammered home the point of making sure to get enough calories and enough rest. Now that I've started to get those things in balance, strength and stamina are on the rise, again, despite training 6 days a week.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk