Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something BIZARRE happened to my lower back!!!

Hybrid View

Something BIZARRE happened to my lower back!!!

Hey everyone,

I need your help in figuring out what went wrong with my lower back.

Lately, when I've been squatting, I've had a feeling of my lower back feeling weak or giving out at the bottom of the squat, seems to happen just when I reach the lowest point in the hole.

After my workouts, I've had a lot of soreness in the lower back, which I just thought was normal DOMS.

Today, it finally caught up with me. I was just doing a warmup set of 85 lbs, and on the first rep, as I got to the bottom of the hole, my lower back just seemed to give out.

I'm not really sure what happened, it was like the muscle just reached some point of no return and pulled or collapsed, and I couldn't get back up. It was painful but not severely painful, but I fell down.

I immediately had a feeling of wanting to vomit, and then the room got very blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out. I sat there for 2 minutes just telling myself not to pass out, I was VERY close to losing my consciousness. After that, I had to lie on the floor for 10 minutes, and then got up and eventually walked out of the gym after resting 20 more minutes.

Not in severe pain or anything, but it feels like my lower back is REALLY sore and the muscles in my glutes and legs have tightened up, and its very hard to walk.

Doubt its a disc or spine thing, I was doing 85 lbs! The trainer at the gym told me that maybe my lower back or core was weak, and it shifted and caused me to pinch a nerve...

Any idea what this is?
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 02-08-2013 at 02:57 PM.

Sounds like it could be a nerve issue, but I am not qualified to make any assessments and would not want to mislead you. I would recommend that you speak with a medical professional if you believe that you may have sustained an injury or could be suffering from a medical condition.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Do you have insurance? See a doctor. It could be any number of things. My guess is a nerve and something to do with your spine. My guess means shit. Get is properly diagnosed.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Today I am mostly pain free and walking around. Still going to see a physical therapist this week though to get to the bottom of this.

Just wondering, do you think squatting too low could be the cause of something like this? The problem only seems to happen when I go past a certain squat depth.

Sure, in the sense you don't have the hip mobility etc. which forces you to round your lumbar spine in order to hit depth thus causing an issue.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I think you're right, my weight was shifting forward at the bottom.

I need to study up on how to increase my squat depth. Hip flexor stretches?

I posted this in another post.....

Well first of all I would consult you doctor to see if you are cleared to squat esp if its with weight. I have a few ideas for you, the first one being working on your flexibility and working your form with just body weight.

Video

I would start with this stretch and do it for 30-60 seconds. If you have a problem sitting in this bottom position use a 10lbs or a 25lbs plate as leverage.

Video

Now, your glutes and you piriformis could be so tight it could prevent you from shoving your knees out when you squat, which could be causing your knees to cave at the bottom.

Video

Next lets loosen up that hip flexors. This stretch I found is intense, but essential in doing before I squat. I would do this a couple times each leg because I have found the second time around I can sit deeper into the stretch. Tight hip flexor muscles will prevent your hip extensors from fully straightening your pelvis as you come out of the squat and move into an upright position. Tight hip flexors also pull on your pelvis as you squat and make it difficult to keep your back straight

These stretch will take time and you must be patient and persistent. Like I said before, make you consult your doctor before doing these stretches and squatting. These stretches will free up "slack" and hopefully allow you to achieve proper form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I think you're right, my weight was shifting forward at the bottom.

I need to study up on how to increase my squat depth. Hip flexor stretches?

Thanks for posting those videos!

I talked to my physical therapist and he said PINCHED NERVE caused by weak glutes, tight hamstrings, and hip flexor immobility.

The recommendation is to avoid squatting to 90 degrees parallel.

I'm sure you guys have strong opinions on this subject. Without 90 degrees, I can't get enough out of the
    squat, right?

He sounds like a boob to me. Do you have any videos of your squat technique?

We a lot of people prove doctors wrong, for instance when a doctor says someone will never walk and they do. Its all about how bad do you wanted. You can improve you squat immensely which the stretches I listed here. My squat form was horrible and I did these stretches ever single day and still to this day as a 250-260lbs man my squat form is pretty damn solid. Here's what I would do, do the stretches, work your squat form with light weight and strengthen you hamstrings/glutes/quads.

No videos yet, hopefully I can work out some of these form issues with a personal trainer who can correct my posture.

I think doing those stretches and working on my form is the best way to prevent this from happening again.

I personally get a video and not waste your time on a personal trainer. Reason being, most personal trainers are garbage and Chris Mason has worked with some of the strongest squatters in the world at Westside Barbell.

Matt
    No videos yet, hopefully I can work out some of these form issues with a personal trainer who can correct my posture.

I think doing those stretches and working on my form is the best way to prevent this from happening again.

Did your PT schedule an x-ray? Don't underestimate back trouble. I know two experienced lifters who herniated a disc. One did it while sending a fax and the other as he leaned over to pick up a piece of paper while sitting. A herniated disc can hit a nerve too. Get the x-ray.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Thanks for the advice, I might get an x-ray.

Strange that experienced lifters could herniate a disc but while doing routine day-to-day things, but not while doing 500 lb squats.

How do you explain that?

In for an answer as to what caused it because I have had a similar condition for the past 5 years that has gotten so bad this year that I can no longer squat or dead and no amount of hip stretching is giving me relief.

My symptoms are like yours. It is a constant soreness and weak feeling, not really a sharp pain or anything. But I have trouble holding 135 on my back now 1 year after doing a meet and hitting 370 easily. It is depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    In for an answer as to what caused it because I have had a similar condition for the past 5 years that has gotten so bad this year that I can no longer squat or dead and no amount of hip stretching is giving me relief.

My symptoms are like yours. It is a constant soreness and weak feeling, not really a sharp pain or anything. But I have trouble holding 135 on my back now 1 year after doing a meet and hitting 370 easily. It is depressing.
    What does your doctor think the problem is?

Low back seems to have healed very quickly. I squatted 100 lbs today without any pain at all. Not going as low as I used to though, but CLOSE to parallel.

Spoke too soon... I had some kind of weird back spasm in the middle of the night and now in pain again.

WTF?

What does your doctor think the problem is?
    I haven't been. All they're going to say is get an MRI and my deductible is $1000, so fuck that.

I strongly believe it is anterior pelvic tilt from working a desk job 9-10 hrs a day. My spine is very curved. I get instant relief from doing the stretches they recommend for this condition. If it was something worse, I wouldn't get relief. Unfortunately, it only works if I do it 3 times a day or so. Once a day is not even enough anymore.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 03-12-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    I haven't been. All they're going to say is get an MRI and my deductible is $1000, so fuck that.

I strongly believe it is anterior pelvic tilt from working a desk job 9-10 hrs a day. My spine is very curved. I get instant relief from doing the stretches they recommend for this condition. If it was something worse, I wouldn't get relief. Unfortunately, it only works if I do it 3 times a day or so. Once a day is not even enough anymore.
    I also get a lot of relief from stretches, especially of my hamstrings. Maybe that is a sign that we have similar conditions.

I would like to see a video of your squat form. Do you wear a belt when you squat?

Matt

Don't wear a belt, and don't really want to wear one.

I'll try to get a video at some point uploaded here.

I'm told that you should push your hips and behind backwards like you're sitting into a chair.

Is it possible to push the butt out too far? Or should you push the hips and butt back as far as they will go?

Some physical therapists think that I'm putting pressure on my SI joint by pushing my butt out too much.
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 03-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Can anyone recommend a routine I can do while my pinched nerve heals?

I can Leg Press right now, just having trouble with the squat...

Leg extensions 4 sets of 20-30 reps
    Hack squat 20,15,12,10
    Leg press 4 sets of 15-20 and on last set do two drops with 7 to 10 reps
    Walking lunges 4 sets of 30 steps
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 03-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Leg extensions 4 sets of 20-30 reps
    Hack squat 20,15,12,10
    Leg press 4 sets of 15-20 and on last set do two drops with 7 to 10 reps
    Walking lunges 4 sets of 30 steps
    Thanks... that should keep my legs in shape while my back heals. Appreciate it.