The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Planet Fitness

Planet Fitness

Hey Wannabebig Bodybuilders,

What do you guys think of Planet Fitness and there interesting advertisement? They clearly state in there commercials they're not a gym.... I personally think these commercials are ridiculous and make our society look weak minded.

What do you guys think? Have you ever been to a Planet Fitness location? What were thoughts of the environment, equipment, and training environment?

Matt

Video

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Definitely some NWO/Illuminati stuff going on at Planet Fitness. They give off a message that mediocrity is acceptable and people who want to achieve more physically aren't right. Even if it is on a subconscious level. But, the counterpoint is they at least maybe get some people to the gym who wouldn't have gone otherwise. However, they probably don't stick with it. Most gyms are trying to get people to sign up and never come back.
    Last edited by joey54; 02-09-2013 at 09:42 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

They are simply marketing the masses. They make their living off of those who really don't want to train, they simply go to the gym to make themselves "feel" like they are doing something. Then there are those that join and sign a contract and end up paying for a service they don't use. My guess is that is a large percentage of their membership.

The bottom line is there are a lot of meek pussies in the world and they want to cater to them.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

In brief Planet Fitness is a joke.

I've been to one. Even if they didn't have the ridiculous rules, the place still sucks. The equipment is sub par and the amount of free weights is meager. On vacation I went to one, and I think their DB's only went up to 50lbs. No power rack.

On top of that I got a lecture on the club that was more insulting than inviting. Sucked that it was the only place around at the time.

thank god it hasn't reached Ireland yet
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

I personally love the 'no judgement zone' horseshit. What the fuck do they think they're doing when all these people they dont want in there walk in...???

"Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Bahah, I remember that from when it aired. Laughed so damn hard.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    thank god it hasn't reached Ireland yet
    I can agree to that shit.

Planet fitness is just a place where under achievers go to feel good about their skinny fat physique then go and fatten themselves up as a "reward"

You don't want any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Bahah, I remember that from when it aired. Laughed so damn hard.
    "All the animals can be in one cage, and then we have Planet Fitness, where all the people can go"

"You know who else said that?"

".....Hitler?"

"...No! I was going to say Thomas Jefferson".

Priceless. I wonder how quickly that PR lady got fired after this aired.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

A lunk alarm???? LOL

A gym where everything is purple and yellow hmmm...they should have more signs like:

If you can pick up a dumbbell heavier that 50lbs you are not welcomed here.

If you ever picked up a bar with more than two 45's on it,LEAVE!

If you look any bigger than a 13 year old teen girl,LEAVE!
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

They're focusing on their niche market, I don't think it's a bad marketing idea.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I recently joined Planet Fitness (there was a recent thread about my complaints). I have to say, though, that most of what folks have brought up in this thread is both true and false--at least, in my experience. NOTE: I have MULTIPLE memberships to different gyms because I bounce between my apartment for my work (where I am a member at a local gym), my house (where my wife lives--that's where I go to PF), and I travel to NYC a lot (member of a local gym in NYC), so I hit up a lot of places consistently.

While PF is not my favorite, there are some MaSsIvE dudes that lift here. Some of the biggest guys I see lift at PF. It is true they do not have a squat rack, and the DBs only go up to 60 pounds, but they've got great cables, pull up area, flat/incline/decline bench, and some decent machines for accessory work, plus Smith machines. All the equipment is pretty top of the line en mass. And the facilities are always in good shape; plus, for $20/month, you can go to any PF location, anywhere...which is great for people that travel. And you can bring a friend for free, so that's pretty cool.

On the other hand, yeah, there is a lot of douchebaggery and I laugh every time I see a new "No Judgement Zone" poster, of the lunk alarm. But all in all, I am pleased with what I get for my money...though I admit that I would probably be less happy about it if I did not have other memberships at other gyms with squat racks/dbs.

In sum, it couldn't be my only gym - I need real dbs that go up to at least 100 and a squat rack. But those complaints aside, PF is decent-ish. Just a thought
    Last edited by tmor6; 02-10-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Quote Originally Posted by tmor6 View Post
    While PF is not my favorite, there are some MaSsIvE dudes that lift here. Some of the biggest guys I see lift at PF. It is true they do not have a squat rack, and the DBs only go up to 60 pounds, but they've got great cables, pull up area, flat/incline/decline bench, and some decent machines for accessory work, plus Smith machines. All the equipment is pretty top of the line en mass. And the facilities are always in good shape; plus, for $20/month, you can go to any PF location, anywhere...which is great for people that travel. And you can bring a friend for free, so that's pretty cool.
    Those dudes cannot be getting big at PF. They probably just have a membership there to pick up girls you won't find at a real gym.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Those dudes cannot be getting big at PF. They probably just have a membership there to pick up girls you won't find at a real gym.
    Totally possible, but not all of the guys I talk to would agree. Although you have a point, because 95 percent of what I see at PF is exactly what you'd expect...curl jokeys and the like. But the few bigger guys in the gym I've had casual conversations with go to PF every day. And please note, I joined only a few months ago out of necessity and I looked for every other viable option before signing up.

And although I'm no powerlifter, I'm putting up some decent numbers, and I honestly believe that PF "could" be your only gym and you could still put up decent stats. It would take some innovation, like grabbing the bar off the bench and placing it on the ground to do some real deadlifting, and squats would be out of the question. So don't get me wrong, I'd take any other real powerlifting get-up over PF any day. At the same time, though, PF may not deserve the bad wrap it gets among those of us that are serious about lifting. But you are correct, it is totally less than ideal for those of us that really want to move some iron.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23