The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JM's Training Log

Hows it going fellas? I havent logged in a while but I just cant stay away any longer.

Hope I dont get banned for starting my 1000th training journal.

Quick Update: I have been training raw since 1st September. I picked up a few annoying injuries mainly being my right shoulder, right biceps tendon and the MCL in my left knee. The knee being was the most severe. It was enough for a visit to the hospital and I was unable to put weight on it for a week. I eventually squatted again just under two weeks ago. Not major injuries at all but significant enough to stop me doing what I wanted to do.

Everything is well on the mend now and I am starting to handle heavier weights just before making the transition back into equipment. Mobility and recovery are priority for me now. Lots of foam rolling, stretching, hockey ball rolling, shoulder and hip mobility drills, epsom salt baths, contrast showers etc. Body weight is sitting steady at 226. and I want to be 250 so I have adjusted my diet accordingly.

My training partners and I move to a new facility week commencing 26th Nov. Looking forward to this. More space and equipment. Namely a GHR and specialty bars. hard to come by round these parts!!

Next meet is 13th April. That puts me at 21 weeks out. For the next 7 weeks or so we will be following a conjugate style template with plenty of variation on the lifts. Prob wont use more than briefs and wraps and only shirting up every other week.

Well I have drivelled on enough. I will kick things off with yesterdays bench training.

Oh and as usual, I will post as many vids as possible. Always looking for constructive crticism. Do this, try this, dont fucking do that...etc.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bench Training - 14th Nov 2012

*shoulder mobility
    *ext rotations
    *static stretching

Floor Press ~ 3RM
    Bar+3 chains per side x10
    88+3 chains per side x10
    198+3 chains per side x3
    242+3 chains per side x3
    264+3 chains per side x3
    308+3 chains per side x1 < ok but wouldnt have gotten triple
    286+3 chains per side x3

4 Board Press
    375x3
    396x3
    396x3

WG TBar Rows
    +60kgx10
    +70kgx10
    +80kgx10
    +80kgx10

Front Plate raise x15 x2
    Rear Delt DB Laterals x20 x2

Notes: I was in the full throws of the lurgy yesterday so I think this was ok considering. Effort was there. Strength not so much but notably, I had no twinges in my shoulder. Its been a while. I went home last night and took 2 syndol and 10mg of melatonin. I was sparked out in bed by 8.30 shortly after my kids. Woke up this morning and most of the cold/flu symptoms had decreased whilst yesterday they seemed to be escalating. Im not complaining!

286+3 chains per side x3
    Video
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Whats up Buddy!! Great to see your Irish ass back in the mix lol. Looking forward to seeing your climb back. Floor press looks strong, great work. Iike your plan for the near future. After this meet in 2 weeks, im going to concentrate on a lot of raw work to get those numbers up. Welcome back again!
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Whats up Buddy!! Great to see your Irish ass back in the mix lol. Looking forward to seeing your climb back. Floor press looks strong, great work. Iike your plan for the near future. After this meet in 2 weeks, im going to concentrate on a lot of raw work to get those numbers up. Welcome back again!
    Mr Cain, thanks for the warm welcome back......again lol. I will hang around this time, good or bad. Raw luftin' isnt the stress free ''just go and lift'' good time that its made up to be. Its fucking brutal. I literally wrecked myself every other week. Maybe it was just a bad run combined with stupidity. Anyway, no doubt about making you stronger. two weeks dude. Youre on the run down. Glad I made it back in time to keep track. I cant let you stride out too far in front of me. Hope all is well with the fam.
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-16-2012 at 03:22 AM.

Deadlift Training - 16th Nov 2012

*foam rolling
    *hip matrix on high box
    *static stretching

3" Block Pulls w/ ~130lbs chain
    154+chains x10
    264+chains x3
    352+chains x3
    440+chains x3
    506+chains x3

Trap Bar Deadlifts
    410x5
    410x5
    455x5

45* Back raises
    BWx15 (x2)

Decline Abs
    3x15

Notes: Still not feeling 100% but again the effort was there. I will be back to normal in a day or two.

Didnt take many sets of deadlift so i was still fucking around trying to find my starting position by my last set lol.
    Video
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-16-2012 at 08:32 AM.

This is a pleasant surprise. Going to the next level with it, good deal Justin- definitely on point.

Bench Accessory / Upper Back - 17/11/12

*foam rolling
    *mobility drill
    *shoulder mobility w/ mini band
    *band straight arm lat pulldowns
    *band triceps pushdowns
    *band external rotations

Speed Bench
    against doubled mini bands
    bar+bands x10
    132+bands x3 (x9)

Seated DB Military Press
    70sx15
    80sx10 (x3)

Low Rows
    5x10

Rear Delt Cables
    4x10 each side

Seated DB Curls
    4x12

Doubled Mini Band Triceps Ext
    2x20

Notes: Back was pretty torn up from the deadlifting the day before but this was pretty good.
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-19-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    This is a pleasant surprise. Going to the next level with it, good deal Justin- definitely on point.
    Thanks a lot, Terry. Appreciate you checking in.

Quote Originally Posted by -JM- View Post
    Thanks a lot, Terry. Appreciate you checking in.
    NP

Fine with the accessory work and all.

NP

Fine with the accessory work and all.
    Thanks man.

Lower Accessory - 20th Nov 2012

*foam rolling
    *static stretching
    *dislocates
    *hip matrix on high box

Med Stance Low Box Squats
    w/ 130lbs chains
    Bar+chains x10
    132+chains x8
    220+chains x2
    briefs
    308+chains x2 (too slow still not warmed up)
    264+chains x2 (x4)
    308+chains x2 (x6) faaast

Seated GMs
    132x8
    220x7
    264x9

Rope Pull Throughs
    4x12

Decline Abs
    against monster mini
    4x12

Leg Ext
    3x15

Notes: Squats felt good once I got going.
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-22-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    H JM,

good stuff on your log. I like a lot block pulls with chains. I find that they help a lot. In my DE squat I use (after the box squat) pin pulls with chains in set of 5.

I'd like to ask you what do you intend with

"hip matrix on high box"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JosephITA View Post
    H JM,

good stuff on your log. I like a lot block pulls with chains. I find that they help a lot. In my DE squat I use (after the box squat) pin pulls with chains in set of 5.

I'd like to ask you what do you intend with

"hip matrix on high box"

Thanks
    Thanks bud. Yeah, they're fantastic for the lockout.

Heres a quick vid of the hip matrix..

Video
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-23-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Bench Training - 23rd Nov 2012

*foam rolling
    *band dislocates
    *ext rotations w/ band
    *straight arm last pulldowns
    *triceps ext w/ band
    *shoulder mobility drill

Floor Press
    3 chains per side
    Bar+chains x10
    132+chains x10
    176+chains x3
    220+chains x3
    264+chains x1
    308+chains x1
    330+chains x1
    *add sling shot and chains clipped up fully suspended
    308+chains x3 (x3)

Front Plate Raise 2x15
    DB Side laterals 2x15

Notes: I was working towards a Floor Press 1RM with the chain setup today and I think I judged it about right. Training has been up the left this week so this was very abbreviated and pressing only. I will do some back work tomorrow and then back to normal from next week.

Here is top set 330+chains x1
    Video

Solid ass work this week pal. Big floor press! 100% will be back in no time!
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Solid ass work this week pal. Big floor press! 100% will be back in no time!
    Thanks BC. A nice solid injury free build up would be nice.

Upper Back - 24th Nov

*foam rolling
    *shoudler mobility w/ band
    *straight arm lat pulldowns
    *tri ext w/ band

WG Lat Pulldowns
    5x10

I might have done something else here but I really cant remember???

Rear delt cables
    4x10 each side

Rope Uprows
    4x10

Seated DB Hammer Curls
    3x12

Mini Band Tri Ext
    2x20 each side

*more foam rolling
    *hip mobility drill

Notes: Difficult week due to a family bereavement. I have never been more unmotivated to train and my eating was down the tubes. Not being motivated makes everything feel three times as heavy. The session on Friday and this one was really just to clear my head. Just so happened that I hit a Floor Press PR of sorts.

Deadlift Training - 27th Nov

*foam rolling
    *hip matrix on high box
    *static stretching

3" Block Pulls
    w/ around 130lbs of chain
    154+chains x10
    264+chains x3
    374+chains x3
    belt
    462+chains x1
    550+chains x1

Trap Bar Deadlifts
    365x5
    455x5
    455x5

Wide Stance Arched Back Pin GMs
    220x8 (x3)

Leg Press
    3x15

Leg Ext
    2x20

Notes: I feel scrawny from not eating properly but this went ok. We just buried my Grandfather yesterday so as I said, the past week has been difficult. Motivation: The amount of family members who havent seen me in a while who said, 'oh, have you lost a bit of weight?' and then motioned with the invisible lat syndrome stance. I wanna be jacked gatdammnit!!! The nosebag is on.

Vid: 550+chains x1
    Video

Very sorry for your loss Justin. Very commendable getting the work in still. A very strong and easy looking pull there. Great job
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro

Very sorry for your loss Justin. Very commendable getting the work in still. A very strong and easy looking pull there. Great job
    Thanks a lot man. I think it did me some good to just go in and switch of for a while.

Bench Training - 28th Nov 12

*foam rolling
    *static stretching
    *shoulder mobility drills

Bench
    barx20
    154x10
    220x3
    264x3
    308x1
    shirt
    374x3 - 3b
    440x3 - 2b
    484x3 - 1b
    506x2 -1b
    550x1 -1b

Med Incline DB Press
    70sx27
    70sx15
    70sx10

Tri Pressdowns
    ave band x15 (x3)

Med laterals
    3x15

CS Rear Delt flyes
    3x15

Notes: Im rusty and the weights felt heavy but happy enough with results for the first night back. Technique was sloppy but should come back quick enough. Some grinders tonight.

Video

Looking to see you make further strides, keep on with it.

Looking to see you make further strides, keep on with it.
    Cheers Terry!

Squat training - 30th Nov 12

*foam rolling
    *static stretching
    *bw lunges
    *rumble roller (hams)

Rev Green Band Squat
    154x10
    264x5
    374x3
    belt
    462x3
    wraps
    506x3
    550x2 v easy

*inner right thigh/hamstring (loin? lol) twanged and cramped so I shut it down. f*cking raw f*cking bullshit

DB Lunges
    3x10 each side (hamstring knotted up like hell)

Leg Ext
    10 left / 10 right (4 rounds continuous)

Weighted Decline Abs
    4x10 w/ 10kg

Notes: As I mentioned I did something to my right hamstring. I put a load of biofreeze on it after a shower and it lashed against my balls. Couldnt tell if they were burning or freezing. None the less I was walking around them for a while. I will work up to a single next week with same set up.

250x2 last set
    Video
    Last edited by -JM-; 11-30-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Hopefully just a tweak. Biofreezed balls is teh suck haha. Benching looking great too. Numbers will be moving up fast.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro