Thread: Just need to clear my head

Just need to clear my head

I'm pretty bored home sick from work and I decided to check out some of my old journals and threads. Aside from the maturing factor, because most of my old threads were retarded and childish, the journals really opened my eyes to my complete LACK of progress over the years.

I really dont know what happen. How are some of my numbers now fairly close to my numbers back in 2008 or 2009? Has my training been wrong? Diet? CONSTANT "cutting" and "bulking"? I always sought myself as a pretty gifted person when it came to strength training. Have I wasted potential worrying about what my body looks like?

Dont get me wrong. Ive had some minor layups along the way such as a tilted pelvis causing nerve pain in my back, some small pulls, all typical shit more PLers go through. What I need to figure out is how I let this happen. What ive basically came up with is a combination of a POOR diet, low volume training, and my lack and consistency in the gym.

How often can somebody go up and down in weight? How could I possibly put on any good mass like this? Does light weight and high reps really work for assistance work? NO. Back when I had massive strength and mass gains, aside from the fact it was partially newbie gains, i was eating huge, lifting huge, and not giving a shit about anything else. 1400 calories post workout shakes. Training squats and deadlifts until I couldnt walk. Rowing until my back, or my grip, totally gave out.

Sorry for the long post but I just had to get this off my chest. Ive been on these boards for 7 years now so most of you guys know me.

Heres the plan. GET FUCKING STRONG AND HUGE.

-Rob
    2000 or bust

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Yeah buddy! Time for a new journal.
    Last edited by Holto; 02-04-2013 at 02:51 PM.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Have you ever thought about taking some time off and doing a serious cut? I don't know what bf% you're sitting at right now, but I have a problem with guys that are 20 - 25% + bf and continue to try and put weight on thinking that's the only way they can gain strength. Eventually they end up competing at 275/308 with very average numbers for those weight classes.

At my heaviest in college I was a pretty doughy 230+. I got the point where I was having trouble putting weight on, and my strength gains were slowing down because of it. I kept stuffing my face, and getting fatter, but in effect I wasn't really getting anywhere. Is it worth it to gain 15 - 20 pounds just to put a few pounds onto your total, when that weight gain bumps you into another weight class? I finally had enough with spinning my wheels, took a year off from competing and dropped down to 180. My strength suffered a little but from a strength/bodyweight ratio I was MUCH stronger. Once I got down to a nice lean 12% bf or so, I could start slowly putting some weight back on, and wouldn't you know it, my strength has been going up ever since. I can also say from personal experience, the leaner you are, the easier it is to put on lean mass.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

I totally understand the lower the BF the leaner the gains. I have no idea what my body fat is but i lost a considerable amount doing carb backloading. Waist went from a 41" to a 36". I can actually see ab outlines now at 230 but i unfortunately carry my bad weight in my lower stomach and ass. I'm back on CBL after some slip ups over the holidays. My ultimate goal is to be the strongest i possibly can be. I still have not used any test or any other kind of enhancers, so i guess there will be a point where to go any further ill have to.

Its just incredibly difficult to get in my head that I pulled 622 at 18 years old (geared) and my current best pull is still only 650. That was almost 5 years ago. I will admit my bench is just as strong now as it was at 255-260. At least raw it is.

Thanks for reading invain.
    2000 or bust

I remember you. Good to have you posting again. You realize we have some of the best powerlifters posting here, no?

Frankly, my guess is you have diagnosed your problem. You need a proper program and to stick with it. The training that you have described that got you strong can only work for a limited time by its very nature, and also will result in injuries etc. as the years go by. Don't go back to it. Westside is, in my opinion, the best program possible because it is as or more effective at increasing strength than anything else out there AND it helps to prevent overuse injuries.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I hear you Chris. The issue is i let my training get a little too loose. Basically hit our exercise of the day then do very light assistance work for reps. It just wasnt enough for mass gains. After this cube cycle we are going to go back to a modified westside with a heavy compound exercise after the main lift.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    I hear you Chris. The issue is i let my training get a little too loose. Basically hit our exercise of the day then do very light assistance work for reps. It just wasnt enough for mass gains. After this cube cycle we are going to go back to a modified westside with a heavy compound exercise after the main lift.
    What do you consider very light and heavy in the above statement?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Sometimes it's just the simple realization that you need to put in more work and it's enough to get your training moving. Time to start working hard man.

I really don't think it's the bulking and cutting that got you. I bulked and cut my way to a solid 260. I always kept getting stronger.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

chris - for example...dumbbell presses with 50's for 3 sets of 15 compared to 100s for 3 sets of 10 with the last set being nearly impossible.

travis - i'm not sure man...i mean ive always trained hard and i rarely EVER miss a week of training unless its before a meet...i agree i need to just stick to a routine and crush it but the diet played a role i think.
    2000 or bust

You do back down sets like that regularly? Because those aren't doing anything.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Do you mean drop sets? No we dont do them. What i mean is your typical movement after the bench or the squat. It should be 3-4 HEAVY sets. Not 3-4 light high rep sets. Thats where i failed.
    2000 or bust

I mean the addition of extra sets at 50% of a 10rm for 15 reps serves no purpose to regularly do. But from the above you already know that.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post

travis - i'm not sure man...i mean ive always trained hard and i rarely EVER miss a week of training unless its before a meet...i agree i need to just stick to a routine and crush it but the diet played a role i think.

Unless you were dropping 30lbs each cut, I have a difficult time seeing where it can hurt you. At least that's my experience.

Each time I dropped between 15 and 20lbs through ridiculous amounts of prowler pushes and other stupid conditioning work. It never effected my strength in a negative way. Gains were slower but still there.

One thing you'll realize is that the stronger you get, the harder you have to work. If you always train at the same pace and intensity you've always trained at, you'll go nowhere.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Totally agree with the above statement.

Thanks for the support guys. One thing i will say is that we have been doing the cube method and at first i was like "wtf how the hell am i going to do 4 sets of 10 at 75%"? Well guess what, we loaded the bar (or dumbbells) and did it.

Just to add to the bulk/cut travis, this last major cut using CBL last march through the fall i dropped about 35 pounds at the lowest (depleting before a meet) but it was an average of around 25-28 pounds. Previous cuts were all around 15-20 pounds done relatively quick. Until i started CBL i always did the high protien low fat/carb thing which was obviously terrible and i had no idea at the time. Drinking coffee with heavy cream now certainly helps the calorie count, lol.

I would love to be a 242 lifter at a fairly low body fat but i really dont think its in my blood to be under 14-15 percent. I know thats complete bullshit, but i just dont see it happening. I'm probably around 17-18% right now and 230 pounds, which is the best condition ive been in yet.
    2000 or bust

What appealed to you about the cube?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

That it was pretty significant volume especially the lower body stuff. I feel that lately my training was 70% upper 30% lower. This program is totally 50/50. Even my training partners agreed we tend to sandbag extra lower body assistance like reps on squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure how its effecting my squat and pull because i'm a little banged up but my bench is going up quite a bit.
    2000 or bust