The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Need to start doing armwork

My upper arms are seriously lagging behind all other bodyparts in terms of strength and size. Even my forearms are starting to look the same size and I don't train them.

I started doing close grip benches a few months ago and noticed the lateral head of my tris growing but nothing more. I need some serious armwork fast, as I feel my triceps are holding back my bench, and my biceps are just too small altogether.

I was thinking of doing this at the end of my lower body session:

Lying triceps extensions: 3x5

Bicep curls: 3x5

Do you guys think that this could help me out if I do it a few times a week? I don't train arms usually so I need some serious work on them as they look ridiculously small.

The reason behind the relatively low reps for this is so I can train more often and with high weight. The high reps like 8+ leave me aching during my next session so I stay away.

Does this seem like a decent way to go about training arms?

P.s I'm not a bb, not looking for pumped arms here, just want to add some lean muscle over the course of a few weeks.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do you do chins regularly? I find those supplemented with a couple sets of some curl variations usually suffice.
    Last edited by joey54; 02-12-2013 at 10:41 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

imo the direct arm work you suggested is not enough to build muscle -effectively. 'afew weeks' wont cut it either...

my goals have changed, i want to develop my arms also -cos im a closet bodybuilder... ive dropped some things from my training to atleast maintain my strength level while i put more focus on my arms for the next 3months or until i get them to a good standard.

whatever it is, if its a weak point you need to focus harder on it and lower/ drop something for a while.

oh and if you want a muscle to grow, its gonna get sore. man up.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Sup

I think I've figured out the problem with my arms. I don't think it's that my upper arm is that small, it's just the lower part of the triceps where they connect to the elbow are underdeveloped which makes my whole arm look skinny.

Could anyone recommend some exercise that works the lower tricep head hard? I had a shot at some decline skulls today 4x5. Anything else I could throw in there?

@Joey I'd use chins if I had a pullup bar hahaha I should get one maybe
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

skinny
    Sometimes the best way to add a little size to your arms is just by adding overall mass

Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post

Could anyone recommend some exercise that works the lower tricep head hard?
    Uh.... Given that they're all side by side, I'm not quite sure which one you're referring to.

Given all three heads join on the same tendon, selective hypertrophy or strengthening of different heads would result in a structural instability that would literally tear the tendon to pieces. Hence, it is not possible. Work the whole tricep.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 02-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Weighted dips and dumbbell rollback's will help you get the full triceps 'burn' you are seeking.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."