Thread: Meet prep. and ETS review.

Scott Weech

Meet prep. and ETS review.

There are many different ways that powerlifters use to get ready in the final 2 weeks before a meet. I am often asked questions on what I do in the final two weeks leading up to a meet so I have decided to post it here.

Exactly one week before the meet I do my opening attempts for the meet. This is kind of an old school proncipal, but one that has worked really well for me in the past. This serves two main purposes for me. 1 - it allows me to feel relatively heavy weights one last time before the meet. If I don't do this then sometimes I do not feel comfortable under heavy weight at the meet. If I do not do onpeners than it is about 10 to 14 days from the meet since the last time I touched any significant weight.

The second reason is well lets face it, I like a lot of other lifters am a head case when it comes to meets. It is important to be mentaly strong at the meets and for me knowing that 7 days earlier I crushed me openers makes me feel a lot more confident.

Approximately 5 days before the meet I will do some very very light assistance work, sort of like active recovery. I can not stress enough that it is very light and should not leave you sore. The rest of the week I do not set foot in the gym and try to get plenty of sleep.

Now to take a step back I will talk about my last training week, this for me is the week leading up to openers. It depends on how I feel but I will usually back off in weight a little but will still hit heavy weights. For example this week I hit a 800 pound squat and a 760 DL just to keep things a little heavy but nothing rediculous. I will aslo still do some pretty serious auxillary exercises. Some people dont like to work as hard 10 to 14 days out but it always helps me.

On the other hand it is also important to remember that you are not going to make significant strength gains in the last two weeks so dont get yourself hurt.

I hope that helps someone, and in the coming week I will post info on my full 8 weeks leadup to a meet.

Also, for those that are new to AtLarge Nutrition or who have not tryed ETS I would strongly recommend it. Until I started faithfully taking the product I often found myself sore for up to 3 or 4 days after a squat workout. Now I usually feel like I can squat the very next day. The product is well worth the cost and will allow you to train more often.

Thanks for reading and if you have any questions just let me know. Thank you to AtLArge Nutrition and Anderson Powerlifting for all of your support.

Thanks for your comments Scott! ETS really is a neat supplement.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree. ETS is definately one of the few supplements out there that works. I especially like it for its impacts on my sleep. I feel more rested and recovered in the mornings with ETS
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I couldn't agree more, ETS as well as other ALN products have done wonders for me with the way I feel during and after training. Especially, with the amount of volume I did this training cycle leading up to RUM6, I would of fallen apart without them.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life