Thread: Teenager asking for right Workout and Supplements

Wannabebig Member

Teenager asking for right Workout and Supplements

Hi guys

How the title says I'm looking for good answers for the questions I have.

I'm 16 years old and I'm currently doing an exchange-year in the USA which brought me fortunately in the world of Weightlifting and the Big Sports. Don't understand me wrong, I've always been active in several sports and also hit sometimes back in my home country the weights, but never more than a few times a month and not really coordinated. (talking about Weightlifting)

My "body facts": I'm how I said 16 years old, 5 foot 11 inch tall and weigh 160 pounds. I'm muscular, but I also have fat on belly, hips and butt which I'm not proud of. I'm a soccer-player and kicker for the High school varsity-football team, first and last year varsity-wrestler and runner (running on my own).All the seasons are over by now. I'm a really good endurance-runner, I would say in the top 5 % of my school, but since about a year I repeatedly have problems with a big Baker Cyst on my left knee-cab which does not allow me to use/burden it too much. Also my right knee has started since a few week to bother me too, which forces me to do less and less running, leg-workout.

My goals: Getting a much more muscular and stronger upper body, meaning pecs, arms, shoulders, neck and abs. Because of the Baker-Cyst I can't do much leg-work, but I would like to "stabilize" and make the knee stronger

I'm doing weightlifting now for about half a year but for only about 3-4 weeks I'm actually pushing myself and working out the right way, meaning I follow a workout schedule as possible.
    I also started taking Whey Protein Shakes about 2 weeks ago. (I'll come back to that later)
    When I first came to America my Bench-Max was 135 pounds, now it is 180 pounds. (But I got about a 15-pound increase within these 4 weeks I'm doing more.)

My workout in a normal week:
    Monday-Thursday I have a Weightlifting class which allows you to lift active about 30 minutes. On Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays I'm working out whenever possible after school for about 80 minutes.
    Also every night before I go to bed I do 60 push-ups in one set and some abs-exercises and butt-muscle exercises.

(* means based on soreness and how much I get)

During Weightlifting-class: First jogging for 2-3 minutes, then Bench-Press reps.
    -1 rep a 20 with 95 pounds
    -1 rep a 15 with 115 pounds.
    -1 rep a 12 with 125 pounds
    -3 reps a 6-10 with 135 pounds (*)
    (Between each of the reps I have a short break while my lifting-partner does the benching)

Then, depends on how much time is left, I continue with curls, sitting barbell curls and standing Dumbell curls.
    - 2 reps a 12 with 20 pounds on each side (Just noticed that I don't know how much the Barbell bar weighs -.-)
    - 1 rep a 15 with 15 pounds on each side
    -1 rep a 5 with 25 pounds on each side OR 1-2 reps a 10 with 25 pounds-dumbell weights.

Sometimes I get also some shoulder stuff in, but that really depends on how much time is left.

After Weightlifting class I have school for about 1.5 hours more before I can return to the Weight room.
    After school at Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and sometimes Fridays:

Monday: Running about 0.4 miles, then doing repeatedly Bench, Curls, Shoulders, Abs, Legpress (for my knee) active for about 60 minutes.
    Tuesday: Used to run about 1.5 miles (Weight room is closed, can't lift ) But since my knee-pain gets worse and worse I can't do that at the moment
    Wednesday: Same as Monday
    Thursday: Same as Monday
    Friday: Depends on if Weight room is open, if yes, same as Monday, if not either running or playing basketball or something else.

I'm usually sore every day from the workout the day before, most of in pecs, biceps, shoulders and abs.

As mentioned above I started taking Whey Protein about 2 weeks ago. I drink every day 20 oz. mix of milk and water with 2 1/2 scoops of "BODY FORTRESS Super Advanced WHEY ISOLATE"
    I usually drink half of the 20 oz-bottle after the Weightlifting class and then the other half after the workout after school.

I try since forever to avoid much junk- and fast food, eating healthy and just don't take too much carbs to me, but it just doesn't really work. I'm trying now since about 2 weeks intentional to eat less overall and even more intentional to not to eat sweets and chocolate and so forth.
    But on the other side I'm not really sure if that's all the right thing because when I work out everyday I need the energy and carbs to restore my muscles and stay healthy, and I don't really now if the Whey Protein Shake covers it all.

So, now I guess I mentioned all I wanted and I'm really sorry that it is so messy and please forgive me possible grammar-mistakes, I'm only here now for half a year :P If you read all down to here then already a big THANK YOU! and now my request on you:
    Please share your thoughts about that you just read with me, give me tips what I could improve, if I'm doing the right or total wrong things, just everything you thought while you read this.

And here some more questions:

Is my workout schedule the right thing? Is it to uncoordinated, too less/much, is something missing? What could I do better?
    Is the Whey Protein Shake mentioned above the best choice for me? And is it right that I take half a bottle after each workout?
    Do I overwork my muscle? Do they have enough rest?
    Do you have some really good tips how to fight my fat on belly, hips and butt?

I'd really appreciate some good answers of experienced Weightlifters and Bodybuilders. Thank you!

PS: IMPORTANT: I don't care at all when I have to sweat, go on my borders, being sore each day and so forth, I am a really hard worker and have the will to improve myself! Weightlifting gets more and more to my favorite hobby.

Quick Navigation Teen Bodybuilding Top
    Previous Thread | Next Thread
    Similar Threads

I hate to say this man, but sounds like you need to do a little research on the internet. I mean your saying this is your favorite hobby, you should be able to do a little research on the topic. I mean we aren't recreating the wheel here. Also, the reason why you don't have more people helping you is, this post is just a lot to ingest. For your future posts I would suggest condensing it and asking smaller questions.

My suggestions

Workout program:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/cat/hypert...aining-hct-12/

Food:
    For this I recommend eating as much food as possible. This doesn't give you the licenses to eat 100 percent crap though. Make wise decisions as to what you eat. You are fueling you body for recover and create muscle growth. Protein shakes are a great way to get something in you body after a workout, but I would make them a huge staple in your diet. I would also ingest some carbs after your workout, this can be a banana or a piece of fruit.

Recovery:
    You have to listen to how your body feels. You are young so you body should recover reasonably fast.

Matt

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Matt, I appreciate your honest opinion. I tried to do research in the Internet, but often you only find quite questionable or contradictory things, so I thought it would be more intelligent to base my knowledge on a reliable source like this forum here.
    And yeah, it's true, it is quite a lot, I'll condensing it in the future.

And also thanks for the suggestions, they're helpful. I started to eat after each workout a piece of fruit, mostly a banana.

So now only one more question, for which probably doesn't really exist an answer, but I would like your opinion about it.
    I usually take half of my Protein shake, a 20 oz bottle, after the first workout and then the other half about 2 and a half hours later. Is it useful to split it like this or would it be better another way, like the whole bottle after the first or the second workout?

Sammy

Tell me more about this knee issue. Have doctors give you the ok to strength train with it?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Both doctors, one of them my Dad, have told me to base my activities such as running and strength training on the occurring pain during or after the activities. I tried for a few weeks to do running and do Leg Press with really light weights to stabilize it a little bit (with agreement of the Doctor), but I had to stop it because it caused to much pain. Right now I'm doing pretty much nothing beside a little running and jump rope with my lower body.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutBoy View Post
    Both doctors, one of them my Dad, have told me to base my activities such as running and strength training on the occurring pain during or after the activities. I tried for a few weeks to do running and do Leg Press with really light weights to stabilize it a little bit (with agreement of the Doctor), but I had to stop it because it caused to much pain. Right now I'm doing pretty much nothing beside a little running and jump rope with my lower body.
    Honestly man I don't think running is the best thing to do with a snapped up knee. I remember when I used to do short 4k runs 5-6 days a week it'll just fuck up your knees and leg strength, however I wouldn't try to shift heavy ass weights until your knee is all clear lest you snap you shit up.

Cut the running from your regime I'd say. Walks or cycling maybe? Remember man you need to keep your knees in shape running wears them down.

(unless by running you mean sprinting)
    Last edited by KJDANEXT0; 03-02-2013 at 10:47 AM.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

Wannabebig Member
    Hey KJ, thanks, I think cycling is a good alternative to running. I'll start with it tomorrow
    I'll do cycling for 1-2 weeks and then start also lift again with weights

Wannabebig Member
    And another question:
    Is it useful to to bench and curls, as I do, every day trough Monday-Thursday or do I give the muscles not enough rest to recover?
    I usually do about 5 reps a 8 on bench and 5 reps a 10 on curls split in two lifting-sessions. Of course I also a lot of other exercises but bench and curls I do the most.

I would train each muscle group only once a week.

fat submariner
    like Matt said earlier buddy (and I'm no expert, though he certainly is) pick a routine (I'd recommend HCT-12 as that's what he told you) and stick with it for a while (a long while)... assuming your knee is up to it.

apart from than that, have a full shake after each workout and otherwise EAT... a LOT!

good luck fella.
    Age: 41 - Height: 5'10" - Weight: 197lb (NOT LEAN! (but maybe finally getting a little bit leaner?))

Squat: 180kg (396lb) x 2
    Front Squat: 100kg (220lb) 5 x 5
    Zercher Squat: 140kg (308lbs) x 1
    Bench Press: 110kg (242lb) x 1
    Deadlift: 220kg (484lb) x 1
    SLDL: 170kg (374lb) x 1

Mac's Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys, I started doing the HTC-12 a few days ago, and today was horrible to walk with the lower-body workout done yesterday, I look like an old lady lol And it luckily seems like that me knee is up to it too
    I really appreciate that you give me your time and advices!

Quote Originally Posted by WorkoutBoy View Post
    If you have knee pain running is very poor rehabilitative choice... Running involves a lot of force on the joint and will not appreciably build leg strength. You want to strength train using exercises that will minimize force and maximize muscular recruitment. A properly performed box squat is perfect.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

This video shows a perfect box squat technique:

Video

Wannabebig Member
    Hey chris, thanks for the advice. I stopped running about a week ago and started the HTC-12-workout, including all the lower body exercises (squats etc.) and my knee seems to be able to handle the force well. I'll just try it for a little longer period of time to do the "normal" squats because I'm not sure if I could get the needed equipment in our school-weightroom to perform the box squats.

Sam

Well, you don't need the monolift to do box squats. A regular rack will do. You just need something to sit on which lets you get to about parallel. My girlfriend trains at a local Gold's and squats onto a bench she straddles.