The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Carb intake // Blood Sugar

I've tried writing this a few times but I can't seem to get it out right, so I'll be direct:

For some reason, my blood sugar has been erratic. Healthy one month, not so great the next, better the next etc etc. I finally had a blood glucose monitor sent over (They don't have them for sale here, only when you're a full blown diabetic on insulin do you get one) and so I've been able to better monitor my blood glucose levels, to see what food does what and how my body reacts.

The rest of my body is fine. Heart is as healthy as can be, nothing wrong with liver, kidneys, brain (MRI done). I was given the go ahead to do more intensive training by my doctor.

Pre-workout but before my post-workout meal, I have a normal blood glucose reading of 100ish. Pre-workout I usually have high protein, high carb meal. 2 hours later, my blood sugar is at about 110 to 130. However, post-workout before my PWO shake, my blood glucose can be around 180-200. I tried sipping on 2 scoops of Nitrean + as I'm lifting, same reading. I've checked diabetic forums and with my doctor, no answers. The only thing I can think of is that I'm burning through my carbs and my liver is dumping what it has into my system. 2 hours after my PWO I drop down to 110-120, but I'm feeling hungry, which isn't great.

Any ideas? I know we aren't doctors but those that I speak to elsewhere say that this would be the place to ask (People who know their food/diet). Doctor also has no advice but says that the training should be kept up. H1ac is coming into the normal range.

I don't know if this is possible, but to get a high enough BG level pre-workout to NOT get my liver dumping in more BG. Or even if that is optimal.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Could you post your diet for us?

Could you post what you've eaten in the last few days?

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Wake up: 2 scoops Nitrean + / 1 scoop Opticen + (1/3 serving)

Breakfast and Lunch vary. Here are my staple foods divided into main and side:

Breakfast Egg Day: 3 boiled eggs whole, 3 egg white only, with 150 grams of brown rice or 200 grams of sweet potatoes.

Breakfast Chicken Day: 200 grams broiled chicken, no salt spice or Tabasco sauce with 150 grams brown rice or 200 grams sweet potatoes. Sometimes I have more chicken and less rice/potatoes depending on my hunger level.

Breakfast Mackerel Day: 150 grams mackerel with 150 grams rice (No potatoes) OR More mackerel and no rice but with more side veggies.

Side Veggies: Usually I buy what is on sale or cheap (Seasonal). The majority is made up of broccoli, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, soy beans, peppers and cabbage. On days I eat fish I will make a chefs salad with olive oil and vinegar. I broil all the veggies. I eat these with every meal.

Lunch and dinner follow the same format however I do switch from mackerel to raw fish (Salmon or tuna). I have beef instead of chicken when it's cheap, keeping calories in mind. I usually don't eat eggs afternoon or evening.

Between meals I have cottage cheese, beef jerky, dried squid in moderation when I feel hungry. Each 'snack' is between 100-150 calories. I limit myself to 1 snack between each meal. I sometimes have 1 serving Nitrean + if I'm out and about and not able to eat.

My PWO shake is 1 serving Nitrean + 1/3 serving Opticen +.

Before bed, one of the above snacks or 1 serving Nitrean +.

This may seem like a boring diet, but it's actually very tasty. I find all sorts of ways to flavor fish, chicken and eggs.

I don't eat sugary foods. I start to get a rash when I eat anything like cake or cookies. A good/bad thing.

ETA: My workout is usually 1.5/2 hours after lunch or dinner but more often after lunch.
    Last edited by synonymous; 01-24-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Let me word this delicately because I think we often come off as jerks when we ask stuff like this.

Do you know what your macros for the day are?

Ideally you want to be able to post your diet like this:

Carbs: 400 g's
    Protein: 220 g's
    Fat: 110 g's

(Ignore the actual #'s here they are just an example)

I'm happy to help you analyse your meals but I need more info. Some of your breakfasts for example appear to have no fat. Fat delays gastric emptying and creates a modulating effect on sugar flowing through the portal vein.

A little bit of fat could drastically slow the arrival of glucose into the circulation.

You could be blowing this all with breakfast actually. Work out the macros for your breakfasts and post back.

Lyle McDonald once said that if you're not eating fat, fibre and protein, it's not a meal.

Fat and fibre both have a modulating effect on glucose meaning they slow its arrival into the blood giving your body a better chance to regulate it.

If you just eat protein and a pile of carbs the carbs hit your blood faster.

Sorry, I meant to post it. I aim to get 300 grams of protein spread over the course of a day. I get make carbs next important on the list because it's easy enough for me to get (Add) fat with oils/nuts. Maybe I'm not timing this right.

These are what I get out of the day:

Fat 75 grams
    Carbs: 175 grams
    Protein: 290 grams

Total calories for the day average @ 2500. I should mention I only drink water and green tea. I'll have milk on occasion, but no juice or soda. You'll notice I have zero fruit in my diet. I don't know if this is a good/bad thing either. I'm not a fruit person and where I'm living, fruit is a luxury really.
    Last edited by synonymous; 01-24-2013 at 09:33 PM.

Are you gaining, losing or maintaining on 2500/day?

Can you post the macro's for your breakfast(s)?

I'm losing @ 2500 calories, trying very hard.

Egg Day Macro:
    Fat: 17.80
    Carbs: 43.21
    Protein: 36.28
    Calories: 482

Fish Day Macros:
    Fat: 20.97
    Carbs: 36.05
    Protein: 36.58
    Calories: 485

Chicken Day Macros:
    Fat: 15.75
    Carbs: 38.43
    Protein: 66.36
    Calories: 573

This is taken from this weeks macros. I had avocado with chicken so the fat content is a bit higher than normal.

I would try bringing your protein down to 200g's per day.

That frees up 90 calories. I would add 10 grams of fat to your breakfast. Almonds come to mind.

Protein actually does elicit a small insulin response. Protein shakes that cause a sharp rise in the amino acid pool can result in an increase in gluconeogenisis. Meaning your body is now making sugar out of your protein shake.

This also may sound a bit crazy but try eating your carbs last. Eat your protein with your veg first and when that is all done eat your carbs. This could also have a beneficial modulating effect.

What does your training look like?

What is your split? What is your routine?

The reason I ask is because I've spent quite a bit of time consulting with people over the years and I find that people that lift weights end up with muscle cells that are very hungry. This alone creates a powerful partitioning effect. We might be able to help tweak your training a bit.

Bill Starr's 5x5 with the exception of rows

Mon: Squat, Bench, assisted Pull-Ups (Looking to get to a point where I can do them unassisted)
    Wed: Squat, Military Press, Deads
    Fri: Squat, Bench, Assisted Pull-Ups

I run the stairs to my apartment on my off days. By this I mean when I come home from work, from the store or anywhere, I don't use the elevator. I live on the 10th floor. Sometimes it's just me, sometimes it's with bags of groceries etc. The idea is to get to the top without feeling winded. I'm nowhere near that yet. I don't run the stairs on Mon, Wed, Fri because my legs are jello from squats/deads etc.

Every other month I switch out bench for dips and pull-ups for rows. I've been using kettle bells for the squats as I'm in the gym at the busiest time and the power rack is almost always busy and squats is the first on my list. Kettle bells are just sitting there waiting to be used.

I will do hammer curls if I need to kill some time before leaving the gym. I love hammer curls, can't say why really, a psychological thing maybe. I'll do 3x8. It just depends on the day and if I have it in me.

I'll try eating my carbs last, see if that helps at all. I'll also see about getting more fat in. Almonds work well for me (Easy to get).

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    Bill Starr's 5x5 with the exception of rows

Mon: Squat, Bench, assisted Pull-Ups (Looking to get to a point where I can do them unassisted)
    Wed: Squat, Military Press, Deads
    Fri: Squat, Bench, Assisted Pull-Ups

I run the stairs to my apartment on my off days. By this I mean when I come home from work, from the store or anywhere, I don't use the elevator. I live on the 10th floor. Sometimes it's just me, sometimes it's with bags of groceries etc. The idea is to get to the top without feeling winded. I'm nowhere near that yet. I don't run the stairs on Mon, Wed, Fri because my legs are jello from squats/deads etc.

Every other month I switch out bench for dips and pull-ups for rows. I've been using kettle bells for the squats as I'm in the gym at the busiest time and the power rack is almost always busy and squats is the first on my list. Kettle bells are just sitting there waiting to be used.

I will do hammer curls if I need to kill some time before leaving the gym. I love hammer curls, can't say why really, a psychological thing maybe. I'll do 3x8. It just depends on the day and if I have it in me.

I'll try eating my carbs last, see if that helps at all. I'll also see about getting more fat in. Almonds work well for me (Easy to get).
    I do this also.

GETLEAN
    I would say drop the carbs low and go on high fat/protein diet, my blood sugar was up and I dropped my macros to this, 100g carbs,90g fat, 200 protein and my sugar went down great.

Sorry it took me so long to back to you on this.

How are you feeling?

I asked you about your training because I had a hunch there was something funny going on and then you posted this.

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    I run the stairs to my apartment on my off days.
    Dude!

Running stairs and parking far away from the mall entrance is something we tell SEDENTARY people.

You're squatting 3x a week. Pat yourself on the back son and get some damn rest.

Your blood sugar is low because your activity is draining it.

Get some rest.

I started to take in more fat/fiber. Feeling better and seeing my BG levels stay consistent. After training, I have a BG reading of about 90 now. So, I eat and then I'm off to work or doing something else. Feeling much better now. Thanks.