Thread: Pains in sternum and forearm: 2 problems, 1 thread

Hybrid View

Pains in sternum and forearm: 2 problems, 1 thread

When doing dips, recently I get a pain down on the inner portion of one pec or the other and a strange feeling right down the middle (sternum). I asked that my form be checked by the instructor, he said that there weren't any problems that he could see. Only advice was switching to another exercise. I did bench today, and no issues with my chest (Although I felt the burn in my delts like they haven't been touched in ages).

Second I get a subtle pain in my left forearm that occurs when I grip onto something and it only starts to happen about half way through my routine. If at the end of my routine I want to curl, the pain, palms up, is not something I can do. Palms to the side (Hammer curls) and I can get through, although not as comfortably as I do with my right forearm that has no pain.

No real advice from the gym trainers. I asked if this is something they would recommend I see a doctor about and they said that I'd probably be told to stay away from heavy lifting and send me home with some painkillers.

Any ideas?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

I'm a firm believer in chiropractics. With this being said, it seems to me like you have some alignment issues.

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    When doing dips, recently I get a pain down on the inner portion of one pec or the other and a strange feeling right down the middle (sternum). I asked that my form be checked by the instructor, he said that there weren't any problems that he could see. Only advice was switching to another exercise. I did bench today, and no issues with my chest (Although I felt the burn in my delts like they haven't been touched in ages).

Second I get a subtle pain in my left forearm that occurs when I grip onto something and it only starts to happen about half way through my routine. If at the end of my routine I want to curl, the pain, palms up, is not something I can do. Palms to the side (Hammer curls) and I can get through, although not as comfortably as I do with my right forearm that has no pain.

No real advice from the gym trainers. I asked if this is something they would recommend I see a doctor about and they said that I'd probably be told to stay away from heavy lifting and send me home with some painkillers.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Matthew Bryduck; 02-19-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    I get a subtle pain in my left forearm that occurs when I grip onto something and it only starts to happen about half way through my routine. If at the end of my routine I want to curl, the pain, palms up, is not something I can do. Palms to the side (Hammer curls) and I can get through, although not as comfortably as I do with my right forearm that has no pain.

Any ideas?
    Could it be "Golfer's Elbow?" (google search for images of Golfer's Elbow" and it'll pull it up) ~~~ I have a buddy that struggled with a similar problem you describe before he figured out he had it ~ Someone had mentioned it to him as a possibility, but initially he didn't think he did because he didn't Golf..... lol
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

I had similar issues with dips recently; a pain near my sternum. I went to the doc (first time in years), and it turned out to be costochondritis. Or, in other words, basically a bruised sternum from overuse--I'd really ramped up my chest work for a solid month and over did it. That was probably 5 months ago and I still have a bit of discomfort doing dips, but no issues otherwise.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

I go to the chiropractor, he said it sounded like the sternum and to do another exercise if possible. That was all the advice he could give me on that.

As for the forearm pain, I asked what it might be and he said a nerve might be pinched. I did a Google search on Golfer's Elbow and found it to be informative. I'm not sure if that's what I have though. If I place my palm flat on a table and stretch my my arm, there is no pain. If I place a dumbbell in my hand right now with the palms facing up (Like doing a curl) then I start to feel pain on the outer portion of the forearm, not the inside where the wrist is, but the top. I'm not sure if this would still be a sign of Golfer's Elbow.

The chiro didn't trying to adjust anything in your arm? Sounds like you have a case of tendonitis. I would just avoid all movements that irritate your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    The chiro didn't trying to adjust anything in your arm? Sounds like you have a case of tendonitis. I would just avoid all movements that irritate your arm.
    He massaged it, the pain went away. It'll be back. He usually helps me with my rotator cuff. Every couple of months I start to feel a bit of pain, he pushes, pulls, does whatever it is he does, and the pain is gone. With the forearm, the pain is gone NOW but will come back when I do heavy lifting.