Thread: Loose Briefs for Raw Lifter / Strongman / Athlete

Loose Briefs for Raw Lifter / Strongman / Athlete

I have seen various opinions on whether lifters who do not compete in geared powerlifting should utilize loose briefs to keep their hips 'fresh' when performing squats (specifically box squats). Or to perhaps overload the movement by being able to lift more (volume/frequency) due to the briefs.

What does everyone here think about a non-powerlifter using briefs in their training?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I'm really curious about this as well. My stance has widened a little over the past couple years and some days my hips feel beat to shit, especially when I do box squats, as you mentioned.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Maybe 6-8 months ago, I was getting some right hip pain possibly from box squatting too low without briefs. I got some loose fitting inzer power pants. Loose meaning I could get them on my own with spandex underneath to help slide them on. I didn't feel a lot of support out of them, but after a few cycles my hip pain went away. Then I went back to briefless box squats and made sure I didn't go to the really low box (about 11" high for me a 5'6" guy).

So if you have tender hips and want to box squat , I think briefs make sense and they may allow you to practice squatting wider and a little deeper. But to the gear noob, like me make sure you talk to the manufacturer about your goals and the fit you are looking for. On Inzer's website, I first got pants sized based on their size chart but that was for competition. It was near impossible to get them on by myself. So I exchanged I think for 2 sizes higher and they still are tough to get on, but I can do it. When I called Inzer they were very helpful in giving me a sense of a size appropriate for mey needs.

Why not give it a try? Gears fun play a little : )

Banned
    If you're a strongman or gear powerlifter, go for it. It can't hurt. Plus, strongman is more bogged down with gear than powerlifting is. If it helps you get through training and is more of a support not an aid to your lifting, get after it.

If you're a raw powerlifter, no reason to use them at all.

I would def use a light set of briefs if I wasnt competing raw. Why not feel good the next day after squat day. It sucks hobbling around the day after a squat workout LOL. No difference then wearing a belt. If I ever decide to take a break from competing raw the first thing I will do is get a new set of briefs.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I've used my really old single ply suit with the straps down, can't be much support, but i don't get it, feels rather strange, throw the straps on and it seems completely different. Do briefs really help that much? I used to really want to get a pair for training.

Thank you for the responses, I appreciate all of the input.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Try out some Inzer power pants. I know I get some out of mine but not a ton (especially pulling sumo). Def help in taking stress of the hips, get a little overload, but nothing crazy like a true pair of single ply briefs. Also don't have to drastically alter technique or form with them, and they aren't too expensive.
    750/500/600 1850 total @ 220
    735/475/565 1770 Elite total @ 198

Boone, NC
    Appalachian State University Graduate Student