The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Coach Rick Scarculla article on CrossFit Training

Coach Rick Scarpulla of Ultimate Advantage Training has been helping CrossFitters lately (including me) prepare for CrossFit competitions.

As a side note I find it interesting how some high level coaches have started being attracted to CrossFit now that it has developed into a relatively wide spread sport. Now that there is something to win, REAL coaches, like Rick, who live eat and sleep the forging of winning athletes, have started becoming interested.

Anyway, a recent article of his sums it up this way: "CrossFit is a strength sport that requires endurance, not an endurance sport that requires strength."
    http://www.tabatatimes.com/rick-scar...t-then-cardio/ (link is basically safe for work and family).

One guy he worked with also characterized competitive CrossFit as "a strongman competition for people who aren't very strong", haha. I see where he's coming from.

I figured the very strength oriented people on this board would find this stuff interesting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

"Think about this: If you get off the couch and start working out, you will be able to run a 10k race competitively long before you will be able to squat 500 or bench 400. Why? The human body will adapt to the stresses of aerobic training much more quickly than it can adapt to anaerobic stress. In other words, you will get “in shape,” so to speak, faster than you will get strong."

This made me roll my eyes a bit. I disagree entirely- If you look at the percentage of people who lift regularly and can legitimately bench 400, I would wager it's fairly close to the percentage of people who run regularly and can do a 32-35 minute 10k. This is to say- relatively few can do either, and in both cases you need to consider that a fairly significant change in body type is needed. It also truly depends on what you view as competitive.

The general point that CrossFit is more strength focused is absolutely true, and the recommendations are of course solid. But, let's be honest... if you're arguing that a strength athlete has a better starting point than an endurance athlete for a strength-focused event, then... well, duh.

Anyway, good article and thanks for sharing it. Just had that one niggle!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results