The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    03/19/2013
    Squat- 240x5x3
    Press - 115x5x3
    Deadlift - 240x5x1

The Squat and Deadlift were supposed to be 235 but I found out from the guy who worked in with me that the bar was an 50lbs instead of 45lbs. They felt strong so I'm ok with the weight. I know things are going well as I haven't yet had to grind one rep yet.I figured once I got over 2 plates my time away would take its toll on me. Not yet. So that is encouraging.

For a complete motivational factor the guy that worked in with me saw me warm up with the 225 and said that my form was deep and that I came up strong. He asked if I was going to work up to 400. I found this both humorous and encouraging.

03/21/2013 -
    Squats - 250x5x3, 275x1, 315x1
    Bench - 145x5x3

Yeah, so I know the singles aren't part of the program but I wanted to see where I was at with a heavier weight. They went up good and fast. Didn't want to try any more as I was fatigued by the 250's

As much as it kills me to have to do this I'm going to have to bench before I Squat going forward. My shoulder impingement kills me after I squat which really affects my Bench. Bench is my obvious lagging lift so I have to do what I have to do.

I understand about joints hurting after Squatting - my shoulders and elbows really hurt.

Well done on the 3plates! Awesome work!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    I understand about joints hurting after Squatting - my shoulders and elbows really hurt.

Well done on the 3plates! Awesome work!

Thank you Sir. The 315 wasn't an all time PR for me, but a back to training PR, which makes me happy. I'm shooting for a meet in May, so I'm hoping for 400 by then.

03/24/2013
    Squat - 260x5x3
    Press -120x5x3
    Deadlift - 250x5x1, 315x1x 365x1

Squats felt really good. Went up no problem. I'm happy about this because I remember when I did this weight years ago in which it felt very heavy and was difficult to finish. The Press felt a bit heavy so I'll have to see how long the 5lb jumps last. I did hurt myself a bit as I felt a crunch by my right scapula. Hurts like hell but I finished the reps. 250 on the Deads weren't a problem. I probably should not have done the single but I needed to know where I stand. The 315 was nothing and the 365 took a bit out of me but I got the rep without too much strain. I needed to feel how to strain again if I plan on competing in May.

Great work all round, consistently adding weight.

I'm sure that 400'll fall.

It's a goal I'm after this year, too!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

03/28/2013
    Squat - 270x5x3

Got out of work late and only had time to squat. 270 wasn't heavy at all and my dept was good as well.
    Signed up for my first meet today. May 18. That gives me 7 weeks to prepare. So excited.

I like this log, it's quite refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by big ragu View Post
    I like this log, it's quite refreshing!
    Thank you Ragu, I do my best to keep it interesting.

03/30/2013 -7 weeks to Jersey Rumble Meet
    Squat - 280x5x3
    Press -125x5x3
    Deadlift - 260x5x1

I was forced to train a day earlier than usual due to the gym being closed tomorrow. I really didn't have a good day. I hit all my reps and sets but I was dragging ass the entire time. I'm getting over a cold, have way too much stress at work, no sleep due to my sick daughter, and training one day earlier probably all caused this. Also training heavy 3 days a week is starting to get to me too. The weight goes up but I'm drained afterwards. For instance last week when I pulled 365 for the single I didn't feel recovered until almost Thursday. I knew the volume would catch up to me eventually so I'm modifying my program as advised in Practical Programing. I am adding a lighter squat variation to my middle day (front squats), I will add BB Rows for more back work, and will complete deadlifts every 5 days. Here is how it will look.

Week1
    a. Squat, Press, Deadlift
    b. Front Squat, Bench, Back Extensions, Chins
    c. Squat, Press, BB Row

Week 2
    a. Squat, Bench, Back Extensions, Pull Ups
    b. Squat, Press, Deadlift
    c. Squat, Bench, Back Extensions, Chins

04/07/2013 - 6 Weeks to Jersey Rumble
    Squat: 290x5x3
    Bench: 135x5x3
    Neutral grip chins - 2 sets of pulling real hard and not going anywhere
    Back Extensions- BWx2x10

Last week was a tough one for me as my daughter got real sick and was in the hospital for 3 days. Luckily the docs took care of her and she's now home. Unfortunately that meant no training, but I'm ok with that as my daughter is much more important.

Squats felt real strong today. I'm real happy that I'm still progressing rapidly. Years ago this would have stapled me, but I blasted all three sets up. Since I hadn't benched in 2-3 weeks I decided to reset and build up again. The 135 was fine, and weight went up without a hitch. The neutral grip chins sucked. I pulled, and pulled, and pulled and didn't go anywhere. I read a negative only chin progression on Elite once and it looks like I'm going to have to start with that now.

I've got 6 weeks until the meet (which I hope I'm registered for, I paid and got a confirm for that, but nothing for the meet). I set the following goals in mind which I hope to hit. Squat- 400, Bench - 200, Deadlift - 400. I'm fairly confident on hitting them and have a month and a half to get it done.