The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Cube

The Cube

I have no plans on switching up what I'm doing, but I read the book last night and it is obviously similar to Westside. I'm not really seeing the reasoning for some of the things he's doing, like the separate RE day and not really going for PR's on ME Days. I know he probably has forgotten more about powerlifting than I will ever know, but I don't see how this is better than Westside.

Any thoughts?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Thought is prob just stick with west side. It is proven. I am not a fan of the cube.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

i havent read the book, but from what i know about the cube from articles etc. seems like the cube method might allow for better recovery......
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Dont like the cube dont do it that simple. Everything is different. What works for some wont work for all.

Quote Originally Posted by robertjr93 View Post
    Dont like the cube dont do it that simple. Everything is different. What works for some wont work for all.
    I get that. I already stated that I have no plans to change what I'm doing. I read the book and I don't understand the changes he's made and was wondering if there was a reason or if someone can help me understand it. I actually like to learn, so if there is a good reason as to why he changed some things, I'm willing to learn why.

I think it might be difficult to get an unbiased opinion on it- there's been a lot of heated back and forth. Bottom line is it's another concurrent periodization scheme, but from what I see it relies more on rotating intensity (incorporation of more singles, doubles, etc.) than rotating lifts (substitution of similar movements for the comp lifts, which I get the sense the Cube founders find less useful) to avoid burnout. There's certainly more structure to the individual workouts, and I certainly wouldn't say they're low volume, but overall there IS a bit more recovery.

Personally, I wouldn't use it, but that's because I couldn't fit it into my particular sort of training (with the heavy endurance component) without needing to make the entire structure obscenely complicated.

I'd love to see Brandon break down the rationale for the particular changes, but I think given the overall tone of some of the back and forth (the initiators of which should probably not be named), I could see that going south relatively quickly. lol.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Im currently running it and like it alot, I feel it does allow for better recovery Some things I dont see a purpose for such as 50 rep squats but I just replace them no big deal!

There is no definitive method or training ideology that is the 'best'. There are plenty of ways to get strong and the cube is just another one of them combining basic principles of lifting in an effective way that produces results.

I have ran it personally (and still am) and really liked it for squat and deadlift. I was not however a fan of the bench methods as I think at my level of training/strength I can get away with benching heavier/ or with maximal effort a hell of a lot more often as I'm no where near as strong compared to other lifts.

The extra RE day which I think you are referring to is the 'bodybuilding' type day I imagine and thats in there to adress the most common weaknesses most powerlifters of this day and age forget with staple moves like Overhead presses, direct bicep training and the smaller muscle groups like calves etc just to provide balance to your training and physique, which will make you stronger in the long run and prevent injuries and muscular imbalances. Theres also room to focus on your 'weaker' bodyparts to bring up your lifts. Its almost like an 'extra workout'

The ME day theory of not going for PR's is because a cube cycle is set up to bring the PR's come meet day. You build upto them over a 8/9 week period and are supposedly 'peaked' to hit them when it matters. The stimulus still comes from lifting heavy weights on that 'ME' day and volume.

I am not Brandon Lilly or a bradon lilly/ cube nutswinger though and have been through my fair share of training ideologies so take what I have said with a pinch of salt, theres a facebook group for cube members and I'm sure if you post in there he would be more than happy to enlighten you further.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Banned
    I love the ideas behind it. It's a different way to address the 3 methods of developing strength. i would agree it probably allows for better recovery, but that's the buzz word of the industry, lately.

I like that each workout has a very specific focus and each week it changes. I haven'tread the book, but it's pretty simple to understand the basics of the program.

I will probably give it a shot once I get myself healed up and back to unrestricted training.

I have no comment other than to say Westside, properly performed, is the best program I have ever encountered for strength.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I read the book. Seems to be working for people.
    Last edited by joey54; 02-25-2013 at 10:33 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by J L S View Post
    The extra RE day which I think you are referring to is the 'bodybuilding' type day I imagine and thats in there to adress the most common weaknesses most powerlifters of this day and age forget with staple moves like Overhead presses, direct bicep training and the smaller muscle groups like calves etc just to provide balance to your training and physique, which will make you stronger in the long run and prevent injuries and muscular imbalances. Theres also room to focus on your 'weaker' bodyparts to bring up your lifts. Its almost like an 'extra workout'
    Thanks for the explanation. I definitely like the part about the extra workouts.

The version of Westside that I was taught has much more volume than most of the other Westside templates that I've seen. I generally do 5-6 exercises after my main lifts and I've had no problem with recovery and I'm getting stronger every week still. Every week, I rotate between Bench and Shoulder Press exercises and I rotate speed bench and speed press every week, along with rotating speed squats and speed pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I have no comment other than to say Westside, properly performed, is the best program I have ever encountered for strength.
    Wthout a doubt Chris
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting

Simple answer DONT WASTE YOUR TIME.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting

I'm running it, and like it a lot so far. Seems to be working well for me and I enjoy it. I'll be testing maxes next week, then run another cycle for a meet in May.

Wannabebig New Member
    My training partners and I are just finishing up the first cycle of the cube. Most of us are actually having a harder time recovering. Normally we run westside and recovery has never really been a problem. My squat has gone up however. Cant say the same for the bench and dead. I think we will be going back to westside after our meet in march

It certainly has a lot of principles that were taken from Westside. That's about all I'm gonna say on that correlation lol.

The most common problem I run into guys who try and do a Westside template is that they don't do nearly enough volume. So for this stuff that is written up in the Cube, the volume is right there for you.

I don't agree with a lot of the philosophies behind the training but I'm not to get into that here.

In short this is a lot like what happened when 531 originally came out. Anything that forces you to work hard will in the end make you stronger to a degree. I just don't think it's the most efficient in making you strong.

To each their own though. Do whatever keeps training interesting for you.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurphy View Post
    My training partners and I are just finishing up the first cycle of the cube. Most of us are actually having a harder time recovering. Normally we run westside and recovery has never really been a problem. My squat has gone up however. Cant say the same for the bench and dead. I think we will be going back to westside after our meet in march
    So what's your definition of not recovering? Being sore and tired isn't a sign that you're not recovering. How long is a cube Cycle? 4 weeks? 8 weeks? I honestly don't know. Just because your lifts don't go up immediately doesn't mean it's not working. I'm curious.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    It certainly has a lot of principles that were taken from Westside. That's about all I'm gonna say on that correlation lol.

The most common problem I run into guys who try and do a Westside template is that they don't do nearly enough volume. So for this stuff that is written up in the Cube, the volume is right there for you.

I don't agree with a lot of the philosophies behind the training but I'm not to get into that here.

In short this is a lot like what happened when 531 originally came out. Anything that forces you to work hard will in the end make you stronger to a degree. I just don't think it's the most efficient in making you strong.

To each their own though. Do whatever keeps training interesting for you.
    Westside addresses Dynamic Effort, Maximal Effort and Repeated Effort, correct? They are addressed all in the same week for each lift. Correct?

The Cube addresses Dynamic Effort, Maximal Effort and Repeated Effort, correct? These are addressed for each lift over the span of 3 weeks, if I'm correct.

So both programs address the 3 methods of strength developement. Correct?

Dr. Subtotal
    Guys, the correct answer is to Cube your 5/3/1 weeks while Sheikoing your ME Upper Days and Smoloving your DE Lower days.

I sincerely hope someone tries this one day
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    Guys, the correct answer is to Cube your 5/3/1 weeks while Sheikoing your ME Upper Days and Smoloving your DE Lower days.

I sincerely hope someone tries this one day
    If you supply me with enough test and growth hormone to create a genetically modified super soldier I'm more than happy to give this a try! 500LB+ on my total here we come.
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Westside addresses Dynamic Effort, Maximal Effort and Repeated Effort, correct? They are addressed all in the same week for each lift. Correct?

The Cube addresses Dynamic Effort, Maximal Effort and Repeated Effort, correct? These are addressed for each lift over the span of 3 weeks, if I'm correct.

So both programs address the 3 methods of strength developement. Correct?
    cube doesn't use dynamic effort, but other than that yes you are correct. That was my point haha.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    cube doesn't use dynamic effort, but other than that yes you are correct. That was my point haha.
    Oh, I was under the impression Cube did use DE work. My misunderstanding. i haven't read the book. Just read bits and pieces.

He rotates a heavy day, an exlposive day and a repetition day.

Heavy day is using 5's or less.

Rep days go from as low as a easy double to as high as a set of 8.

Explosive day is pretty similar to dynamic effort. He's not a fan of bands/chains all of the time and prefers to use higher percentages without accomodating resistance. I think 60-70% something like 5-8 sets for doubles or triples. So it is not the standard Westside Dynamic Day, but it isn't that far off.

It isnt the method that make people stronger. In fact I would go out on a limb here and say that most people that start a Jenny Craig diet lose 5lbs in the first week. Its not because it is the diet. It is because they are trying. I am not sure I would use the cube as a coaster for my beer. Dont waste your time. You dont take your vehicle in the shop if it is running fine right?????? West side works just fine.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    Anderson Powerlifting