The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Lifting in the military?

I'm thinking about joining the French army in a few months during/after the summer. I have one concern however. Will I be able to lift there? Now I wouldn't say any of you are in the French army specifically, but do any of you here have experience lifting while serving in an armed forces?

I'm just concerned because like most army's I assume ill be put through daily cardio that will melt any muscle away and make you "fit" aka skinny as fuck. I don't want the last year of hard work to have gone to waste just cause they think you should run everyday. This is even more of a concern as I want to be infantry.

Anybody have any experience?
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i was in the british infantry. during your training you eat when they tell you and you shit when they say you can. there is no time for yourself. i lost my precious 15lb all natural gains in the first 3months, it felt like a bad break up lol

once you finish your training and go to join your unit, its just like normal working hours so you will have alot more time for yourself, providing your unit isnt preparing for operations.

so it really comes down to:
    1. how long the training is
    2. whether or not your unit is deploying for Ops anytime soon (our pre-deployment started 7 months before we shipped out)
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

Quote Originally Posted by gaz90 View Post
    i was in the british infantry. during your training you eat when they tell you and you shit when they say you can. there is no time for yourself. i lost my precious 15lb all natural gains in the first 3months, it felt like a bad break up lol

once you finish your training and go to join your unit, its just like normal working hours so you will have alot more time for yourself, providing your unit isnt preparing for operations.

so it really comes down to:
    1. how long the training is
    2. whether or not your unit is deploying for Ops anytime soon (our pre-deployment started 7 months before we shipped out)

What was it like serving with the brits man? I considered it but I guess I'm too much of a patriot and wanna join my cheese eating surrender monkey bros.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    What was it like serving with the brits man? I considered it but I guess I'm too much of a patriot and wanna join my cheese eating surrender monkey bros.
    it wasnt for me, so i cant really comment without putting you off the whole idea. the british army makes great soldiers, definitely. some regiments are much better than others. i was in the Royal Irish regiment, theyve always had a solid reputation. but everyone knows the Paras are the best. they get all the equipment that everyone else is supposed to get. and their camps are the best you will find an infantry regiment in.

if you want to be a camp rat just join the Irish, i know a guy who hasn't been on the ground in over a year!! or if you're actually looking to do the job and go on a tour, then you cant go wrong with the Brits or US Marines

as a general rule of thumb for the Brits, any regiment that is part of 16 Air Assault brigade will be a good one to try join.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

I was in the United States Navy for 8 years. Expect to have little or no control of your life for the first year you are in.

Matt