Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: please help Im stuck @ 160lbs

Wannabebig Member

please help Im stuck @ 160lbs

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice..
    I've been lifting consistently for the last 2years with the exception of about two months off during the holidays because of a Collapsed lung. But I'm back at it as strong as before. The problem is that before and after my injury are the same story.... I'm stuck
    I'm 27 yrs old, 5'7 and 160 lbs.. I train 4 days a week on a split routine. Back and bi's / chest and tri's/ shoulders/ Legs and the forth day I do my shrugs, forearms, calves, and a few extra sets on arms. I primarily use free weights and cables.. almost no machines. 12 sets for large muscle groups and 8-10 sets for smaller. I try to switch up my program between db 's and bb's.
    My 1rm as of last week.
    Bench press. 250
    Squats 275
    preacher curls 110
    db shoulder press 65 db's
    deadlift 205
    skull crushers 75 ez bar
    .my diet isn't the best but its not horrible either. I'm getting about 2800 calories a day and 180+ gs of protein a day. Mostly chicken and fish. Lots of veggies and peanut butter too.
    I drink 3shakes a day ( muscle techs carnivore) and 5 gs of creatine.
    My question is why am I stuck? I'd like to put on a few more lbs before I start trying to cut for summer.. any suggestions.?
    Also.. I do nothing but drop sets for a week once a month. Any help or harsh critiques are seriously appreciated.

how long you been stuck?
    Last edited by gaz90; 03-06-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    last meet, GPC, Irish Open: 03/11/2012
    @ 82.5kg/ 181 junior raw
    S: 192.5kg/424
    B: 130 kg/286
    D: 225kg/495
    best gym lifts:
    S: 182.5kg/400
    B: 135 kg/300
    D: 220 kg/485

First Law of Thermodynamics

The change in the internal energy of a closed system is equal to the amount of heat supplied to the system, minus the amount of work done by the system on its surroundings.

Translation, to not be stuck, you need to supply more 'heat' for humans that means food, assuming activity remains constant you will necessarily put on weight.

Eat 3000 calories a day. If you still don't gain weight, eat 3200 etc.

I am sure other people will comment on your workout and stuff, but to get unstuck, is basic science, eat more.
    Last edited by always_losing; 03-06-2013 at 04:59 AM.
    200lbs @ 10%
    340/400/450

Dude... wow... i'm drunk. Flabbagasted at your choice of decision. Should i call you in 30 min when we are en route, come, oaks are for fun.

Wannabebig Member
    Ive been hovering around 160 for 6 months.
    And 3000 calories seems like a lot for my size but maybe ill bump it up a little bit and see what happens

So you know your maintenance is around 2800 then, or differently put, you are using 2800 calories a day. Its just physics, you cant create matter out of nothing, so the only way to gain weight is to eat more, or burn fewer calories. 3000 does sound like a lot, but apparently it is what you need.

I'm 6ft, 200lbs, my maintenance is around 2600. We're all different. If I was wanting to put on weight, I would bump it to 3000, to lose weight, I would drop it.
    Last edited by always_losing; 03-06-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    200lbs @ 10%
    340/400/450

Dude... wow... i'm drunk. Flabbagasted at your choice of decision. Should i call you in 30 min when we are en route, come, oaks are for fun.

Wannabebig Member
    I appreciate it.. 200-400 more calories isnt gonna be too hard to add in. Ill start tomorrow and see what happens after a month or two. As lomg asy bf% doest skyrocket ill be satisfied. Thanks again

Chug down a coupla pints of milk each day. That'll get things moving in the right direction!
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
    Chug down a coupla pints of milk each day. That'll get things moving in the right direction!
    I second that! A tall glass of milk with each meal is an easy way to add calories. A few spoons of natty PB can help too.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

I checked you BMR and at you current stats you need to eat 2700 calories just to maintain weight. So with being said you will need to be in excess of this. What I would do an it seem tendiecy is count calories and weight and measure your food. Start off with a couple hundred calories in excess and if your gaining, increase the amount gradually.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the input.. I'll be putting the pb and milk down like a mad man. Shooting for 3000 calories starting in the morning. Thanks again

Yep if you arent getting any bigger you'll have to start increasing the cals. It may sound like a lot at first but you'll get used to it. A few years ago when i was in college, and very active, I was taking in 4000 a day and only gaining about 2 pounds a month.

Its an odd concept at first, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about it. If you arent supplying your body with the amount of food that it needs to grow, it simply cant grow.

Really? I can eat 3k cals in a meal... Lol, geez.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Can someone link me a reliable maintenance level calculator?
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Here you go: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

But it really varies by person, so the best maintenance level calculator is trial and error. Track what you eat, track how your weight changes, and adjust.
    Meet PRs: Squat 455 / Bench 270 / Deadlift 525

The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint; the greats were great because they paint a lot. - Macklemore

Be happy. This world can be ugly, but isn't it beautiful? - Jack's Mannequin

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html

This one takes in account your activity level.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post

Thanks guys.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Watch this guys stuff - http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961

And his website has all the in-depth calculators you'll ever need!

Fuck all those calculators! They are horseshit... Count your calories and watch your body weight and composition. Adjust accordingly. It's that easy.

For those who say they can't eat enough, you ARE WEAK MINDED and should just find a new sport/hobby.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2800 cals is not much food at all. My dinner every night is about half of that lol. Stop thinking you need rice and chicken all day and you will gain weight. Don't eat like a fatass, but don't be scared of lean ground beef, eggs, etc.

You don't need anything fancy, simply find a way to up your cals and monitor the changes, that is it.

Hahaha... I love that tough love!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Fuck all those calculators! They are horseshit... Count your calories and watch your body weight and composition. Adjust accordingly. It's that easy.

For those who say they can't eat enough, you ARE WEAK MINDED and should just find a new sport/hobby.

Others have provided some good advice, and here are a few 'principles':

- Consume liquid calories between meals or even with meals (milk, protein shakes, etc.)
    - Eat before bed each night - can be anything from a can of tuna to a full blown meal.
    - Increase your fat intake ('good' fats = almonds, avocado, salmon, etc.)
    - Force feed 1-2 times (or more) per week; go to a buffet or place with large portions, or even just cook up a big meal at home and go 'max effort' at the dinner table.

Gaining weight typically comes down to good dietary choices combined with discipline. If you are eating calorie dense foods and motivated to pack on size you should be able to make it happen.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 03-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Others have provided some good advice, and here are a few 'principles':

- Consume liquid calories between meals or even with meals (milk, protein shakes, etc.)
    - Eat before bed each night - can be anything from a can of tuna to a full blown meal.
    - Increase your fat intake ('good' fats = almonds, avocado, salmon, etc.)
    - Force feed 1-2 times (or more) per week; go to a buffet or place with large portions, or even just cook up a big meal at home and go 'max effort' at the dinner table.

Gaining weight typically comes down to good dietary choices combined with discipline. If you are eating calorie dense foods and motivated to pack on size you should be able to make it happen.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Its just hard work baby.

Failing all that, pizza and chocolate bars seem to help in a pinch!

Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Wannabebig Member
    If you are not growing at 2800 calories, go head and get them upper to 3.2k+

There's no reason for you to stay at those calories if you are not getting heavier!

Wannabebig Member
    So I've been putting down like 3200 cals a day pretty easy. Haven't gained any weight yet but I'm feeling stronger and performing better at the gym. Lifts have gone up slightly not so much in weight but in reps.. I went from a five day split to four and i think that's helping too. Thanks for the help. I'll stick to it and see how i progress.. Thanks again.