The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Just passed out while benching...

Ok, I train alone in a shed with no safety pins or rack, so I try to be careful while benching.

Of course like everything in life somethings gonna fuck up sooner or later, abd it was sooner in my case.

Was in there going for a hard 3rd set of 235lbs(I've lost strength) for 5 reps, only 2 weeks ago I'd done 10lbs over that for sets of 5.
    1st set felt kinda hard, held my breath the whole way for the second set and it felt alot better. 1st rep of the 3rd set went up unbelievably slow, got another 2 reps then bam! I wake up from a psuedo-sleep on the bench and see the weights sliding of the side of the barbell. Still dazed I finish my roll of shame and get up to say a few words of celebration for not going straight to snap city.

I don't really know how this happened. Got me completely off guard. I've been having a problem the last week or two where after the first rep my vision starts the fade to black causing instant weakness and failure of the set. I don't know what to do.

On a somewhat related note I've been making no gains in pressing the last 2 weeks. Tried everything, standard grip, close, incline paused, nothing works and I just can't progress. The last few sessions I've just been using the sane weight and actually doing worse during the next workout. HELP!
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why are you holding your breath for all 5 reps?

Why are you training without safety measures? Do you want to die?

As for the other stuff, I think you should see a doctor.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm with Chris, do NOT train without some pins or a rack. It's just not worth the risk.

It sounds like you are holding your breath way too long, but also that you do need to get to a doctor. Maybe something with your blood pressure or something. Who knows.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Please stop holding your breath throughout the duration of an entire set (especially on an exercise like bench press) and please start benching in a rack or take some other safety measures.

On a somewhat related note I've been making no gains in pressing the last 2 weeks. Tried everything
    You can't have 'tried everything' in a period of two weeks. How often are you benching, what other chest exercises do you do, what does your routine look like in general?
    Last edited by tom183; 03-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.

I think I've figured out the problem

I'm usually fine holding my breath for sets, my problem seems to be when I forget to do this and exhale heavily after a rep. This causes me to lose tightness and go lightheaded.

I suspect I've also been overreaching too. I've recently changed up my routine but the volume is way too high. I think this is what's been halting my progress.

Never again will I endanger myself like this on the bench.

Edit:

@tom did I actually say I tried everything? Damn must have been high after that horrendous benching. I just tried a few different to excercises but as I said above the problem was most likely with the volume, was progressing fine until I changed it up.
    Last edited by KJDANEXT0; 03-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    WOW.... I've heard of the lights going out under heavy geared lifts, even heavy raw deadlifts..... but if you are fading out benching <250 raw I'd go to a doctor NOW.

Not making pr's in 2 weeks means that you are new to this or just clueless. I'm not trying to insult you, I've been new and I've been clueless, and I'm still far from being an expert...... but.... Making gains is quantified in years not weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do to fix this.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

There is no way that higher work volume is causing you to legitimately pass out while benching.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

More than anything, I enjoy how the OP almost died under the bar, but seems more concerned about lack of progress poundage wise.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Guys,

Although I think I've figured out why this happened I'm still not really sure. It could be anything, I'm asthmatic too.

And please understand I'm not talking passed out as in I lay there for a minute or something with the bar on my chest, actually pass out was probably the wrong term to use here, I just kinda "shut down" for probably no more than 2 seconds, still too dangerous though.

Take into consideration that this happened right at the end of a workout. I'd already done sets of heavy close grip and rows. Felt in bits by the time I was doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by KJDANEXT0 View Post
    Guys,

Although I think I've figured out why this happened I'm still not really sure. It could be anything, I'm asthmatic too.

And please understand I'm not talking passed out as in I lay there for a minute or something with the bar on my chest, actually pass out was probably the wrong term to use here, I just kinda "shut down" for probably no more than 2 seconds, still too dangerous though.

Take into consideration that this happened right at the end of a workout. I'd already done sets of heavy close grip and rows. Felt in bits by the time I was doing this.
    Dude... if you lost ANY time between that bar being in your hands (and either going up or coming down) and it being ON your chest with plates sliding off... YOU PASSED OUT. I've heard ov that happening, but only seen it once... and in that particular case it was a stupid bench shirt sliding up on a 3rd attempt and choking the poor guy out. It was kinda funny... in a way... dude finished his bench, but never sat up after the attempt. No one had realized he'd passed out.

First off... find out why you are passing out under potentially FATAL exercises.

Second... dude... use the safety pins, slide some benches along either side if you have to. Hell, you should do this even if you DONT pass out.

Third... holding your breath is fine for easy warm-up sets, i do it all the time. But when it gets heavy you should be breathing.

Fourth... maybe no one else here is impressed by this, but CROM is impressed that you are more concerned about strength progress than your life...