Thread: am I taking in to much whey protein?

am I taking in to much whey protein?

I only lift 3-4 days a week but I drink creatine 1X a day and whey 3X a day? is that to much?

That's a super broad question. How's your actual diet? As long as your other macro/micro nutrients are in line, you can drink whey regularly. Hell, some guys on here use it as their primary source of protein. But your training and diet need to be right too.

And most people only 'lift' 3-4 days a week. What's your program?
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

chest,tri's,shoulders Monday

press 4 sets 12/10/8/6
    flies 3 sets of 12
    dips 4 sets
    seated overhead press 4 sets 12/10/8/6
    upright row 3 sets of 12
    skull crushers 4 sets of 12
    tricep kickbacks 3 sets of 12

Biceps and back Wed

bent over row 4 sets of 12/10/8/6
    lying row 4 sets of 12
    shrugs 3 sets of 12
    bicep curl 4 sets of 12
    concentration curl 3 sets of 12

Abs and legs Fri

squats 4 sets of 12/10/8/6
    split squats 3 sets of 8
    step ups 4 sets of 12
    calf raises 3 sets of 12
    crunches 3 sets to failure

I planned on doing 4-5 times a week doubling up on chest and bi's, but I haven't lifted in over 2 years so I'm very sore I just been taking it easy.
    As for eating I don't like much veggies I do blend a drink of spinach,fruits,creatine every morning. I eat a lot of chicken and tuna
    for example today I had creatine shake with fruit/spin for breakfast, spin salad with chicken for lunch + protein shake, dinner can of tuna with hot sauce + protein shake and somewhere in there I usually fit another protein shake, I've gotten to be 250lbs I've been doing some cardio over the past few months and dropped down to 205 at 5'10

edit: I work on an oil/gas rig so I have limited if any access to a gym, I do have dumbells but only up to 45lbs each, my supplements are celltech creatine and phase 8 protein
    Last edited by RinkerxX; 03-08-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RinkerxX View Post
    I only lift 3-4 days a week but I drink creatine 1X a day and whey 3X a day? is that to much?
    To answer your original question: No, Drinking a whey protein shake 3x a day isnt too much, (it's not like it's going to make you sick, or cause anything bad to happen to you).

I would recommend maybe trying to get more protein into your diet with regular old foods if possible. Things like fish, chicken, beef, natural peanut butter, etc etc. It's all really going to depend on your overall diet, but whey itself shouldn't have any negative effects on you, if that is what you are wondering.

Keep in mind, protein isnt going to do anything too magical for you if the rest of your diet sucks. Make sure you are eating enough food daily so your body has the opportunity to grow.

Hope this helps.

edit--Also, i didn't really look at your routine but most people would recommend going with a tried and true pre made routine. If you insist on doing your own home made routine I'd be sure to incorporate the following exercises: Bench press, Overhead press, Squat, Deadlift, Pullups, Dips.
    Last edited by hintsas5; 03-08-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Well the short answer is almost certainly no but you need to be more specific with quantities. From your post you could be having 5g of creatine in water and 3 shakes with 30g of whey in each or you could be having 50g creatine and 100g of whey in each shake, we have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hintsas5 View Post
    To answer your original question: No, Drinking a whey protein shake 3x a day isnt too much, (it's not like it's going to make you sick, or cause anything bad to happen to you).

I would recommend maybe trying to get more protein into your diet with regular old foods if possible. Things like fish, chicken, beef, natural peanut butter, etc etc. It's all really going to depend on your overall diet, but whey itself shouldn't have any negative effects on you, if that is what you are wondering.

Keep in mind, protein isnt going to do anything too magical for you if the rest of your diet sucks. Make sure you are eating enough food daily so your body has the opportunity to grow.

Hope this helps.

edit--Also, i didn't really look at your routine but most people would recommend going with a tried and true pre made routine. If you insist on doing your own home made routine I'd be sure to incorporate the following exercises: Bench press, Overhead press, Squat, Deadlift, Pullups, Dips.
    I feel as if you only read the topic title and no other posts lol, I appreciate your response but I don't feel it helped me any

Phase 8 is 26g of protein 2.2 glutamine 4.6 BCAAs
    Celltech is 7g creatine monohydrate 3g creatine hci 2g BCAAs
    Last edited by RinkerxX; 03-08-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Iv no idea why you think hintsas5 didnt read your OP properly, he answered your question completely. No, drinking 3 protein shakes a day is not bad for you, getting protein from whole food is better though. Its not anymore complicated than that.

How much gas do you get from it? Is it breaking your bank? Are you getting the results you want so far?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexH View Post
    Iv no idea why you think hintsas5 didnt read your OP properly, he answered your question completely. No, drinking 3 protein shakes a day is not bad for you, getting protein from whole food is better though. Its not anymore complicated than that.
    yeah I read the entire original post including the posts following and thought i gave a thorough and appropriate response.. Oh well..

Hintsas provided a similar answer to me. And he is right by what he said.

Also, get off cell tech. The stuff is shit for lack of better terms. Either get pure creatine monohydrate (much cheaper, take 5g a day) or if you want to spend the extra buck, but Results from AtLarge. (Similar price as cell tech, but way more effective)
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Based on my personal experience it is not too much. I have been using whey (30-40g serves) 3 times per day during my cut for the past 4 months, down from 16.8% to 9.6% and my benchpress strength has not dropped. I hit the bench yesterday in the peak of my caffeine rush the day after a carb load day and went up to the same 1RM as I did at the end of my bulk. I also used whey at least 3 times per day over a 14 month extended bulk last year and made excellent progress.
    Last edited by KristianT; 03-10-2013 at 03:34 PM.

It's not much at all. I drink much more.

Even at 3 servings of whey/ day that's not even close to too much. However I would cut down to 2 servings to save your bank account. Just buy more higher protein foods.
    Checkout the latest 2013 supplement reviews, fresh new workouts, workout motivation at: WorkoutZilla.com

Looking at your diet id get some more fat in there. Eat more quality red meat and eggs. Drink as many shakes as you want but they will never be as effective as whole foods.
    2000 or bust