Thread: Rehab/Prehab Workouts

Rehab/Prehab Workouts

I know for myself I'm a huge fan of these. Short 30min workouts usually consisting of mobility movements, ultra high rep (30+ reps each set) movements to pump blood into connective tissues etc.

These are really handy in keeping your body going through workouts week in and week out.

I find I recover better and suffer less little nagging injuries throughout the training cycle.

Only problem I sometimes have is finding the time to get them in or that I neglect them until something does crop up lol.

What do you guys think of recovery type workouts? how do you utilize them and what do you do?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

One of my favorite rehab post bench workout days went like this.

Bench with curl bar 3 mins
    Last pull down with 25 lbs 3 mins
    Push downs with mini bands AMRAP in 1 minute

I used to do this every day after my heavy shirted days. I dont do this anymore as I do lots of soft tissue and mobibility crap and I dont get tore up like I did with a shirt on. I def thing they are uesfull.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Could anyone gimme a list some excercises for different parts of the shoulder and surrounding areas(bicep and pec tendon)
    The only lift I'm proud of at this point is a close stance, ass to grass zercher squat of 170kg x2 at 85kg bw. If only they held zercher squat competitions...

External shoulder rotations are good for the rotator cuffs, and so are tricep pushdowns for the elbows and triceps tendons.
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Banned
    Not a fan of doing exercises for rehab/prehab. I guess I do them, but I prefer to doing extra conditioning, stretching and a very basic dynamic warm-up as my rehab/recovery. I try to stay off the weights so that when I do lift, I'm excited about it. If I "lift" too often I get very sick of it.

I've been known to grab light (no more than 20 lb dumbells) and do curls or triceps extensions or laterals as I walk through the gym. The same with standing calf raises or GHR's or standing abs.... I never really keep track of what I do, I just move a little bit at a time I'm not training.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    I've been known to grab light (no more than 20 lb dumbells) and do curls or triceps extensions or laterals as I walk through the gym. The same with standing calf raises or GHR's or standing abs.... I never really keep track of what I do, I just move a little bit at a time I'm not training.
    I "manufacture" reps that way, too.

One thing about such sessions that I see occurring with some frequency is that people do them with too great of an intensity of effort and the workouts which should aid their recovery actually end up compromising it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    One thing about such sessions that I see occurring with some frequency is that people do them with too great of an intensity of effort and the workouts which should aid their recovery actually end up compromising it.
    This is key! These sessions should be quick, high paced and very light. you should not feel overly tired at the end of the workout.

Ligaments and tendons don't heal nearly as fast because they get very limited blood flow when not in use. So with these workouts, using ultra light weights, to create blood flow it'll greatly help with recovery.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I find that the small irritations I get from lifting will go away if I'm consistent with extra foam rolling and mashing at home, as soon as I stop this they tend to come back (mostly hip knots and arm knots). It's my goal to take a half hour each morning to address this.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Sled work for lower body. Band pull aparts for shoulders. I'll also do high rep lateral leg raises with bands for the hip flexors.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB