Thread: Bulking

Bulking

I had been extremely apprehensive about gaining more weight since I had lost a ton, but I finally did and sure enough two weeks into it I go up about 10 lbs on my bench press where I had been stalled for months. Is there a certain amount of time this works best for or should I just go for the most acceptable strength level/body shape I can all at once? I mean, I guess there's going to be a point where it equalizes no matter what I do when muscle mass grows and I'd have to eat more, but is there any benefit to the bulk/cut process other than looking good?...

What exactly are you asking? Hard to tell what you are talking about from your post.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

I don't really know what your question is but I will try to answer something. The benefit to the bulk/cut process is that it works and it is easy to understand and execute.

Regarding how long to bulk up for it all depends on so many things. If you are bulking up naturally it takes time and you need to be patient. I have gone on two extended bulking cycles lasting between 6-12 months. Don't go overboard with your calories or the fat will start packing on real quick. I have seen a lot of guys put on a huge amount of fat while bulking up, blinded by the thought that they were 'getting huge', only to loose nearly all of their gains when they cut down.

Well, I put on about 7-10 lbs in the past few weeks, and I've already noticed that gain in strength and most notably the 10lbs increase in bench press after I had been stalled for months. So the best way to do it is to gain weight, and make all the strength gains you can over time, then cut back a bit? Then, I guess the best method is like what I said, to let the muscle/fat ratio equalize itself once you bulk, then go from there. I'm fairly confident I can get to any weight I want, it's just that all bulking attempts in the past have been really halfassed due to my fear of getting fat again. I suppose I'll just keep going from where I am and let it happen gradually. Thanks for the info...

I understand your concern.

You made progress because you had been under-eating.

The answer to your conundrum is a controlled caloric intake, not just randomly eating a lot. Log your cals daily and have a specific goal. Once progress at a given caloric level stagnates up your daily intake by 300 per day and then track for at least 2 weeks. Repeat over time, and yes, you cannot do it forever. There will come a point where you begin to add too much body fat.

You should also consider your training regimen. Is it a sound one for your goals?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    To answer shortly to your question Codeguru,

The benefits of going into cutting and bulking cycles is mainly to progress faster.

When comparing a person that bulks/cuts with one that is usually staying at the same weight year round, the first case progresses faster almost all the time.

Okay, I think I get now about what I should be doing, but one question. By "under eating", does that mean I actually did NOT stall all those months, but was building muscle that I couldn't take advantage of because of my lack of calories? Like when I lost down to 165, I was pretty weak compared to before I did it. But then I gained back up to 195, and the muscle came back pretty quickly. I suppose if that is the case, at least I didn't waste all that time being stuck at my then current lifting weight, but yeah, I probably could have done much more with the time had I been eating the correct amount of food to bulk...
    Last edited by Codeguru; 03-19-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    By "under eating", does that mean I actually did NOT stall all those months, but was building muscle that I couldn't take advantage of because of my lack of calories?
    If I understood you correctly, then no. If you're in a caloric deficit, you will not make any good, if any, muscle gains. Also, your muscles will never 'hide' from you as you have implied.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    If I understood you correctly, then no. If you're in a caloric deficit, you will not make any good, if any, muscle gains.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Also, your muscles will never 'hide' from you as you have implied.
    I've dieted in circumstances where I've continued to fill out for several weeks coming out of the cut simply because my muscles were so depleted. That could certainly be described as muscles "hiding".
    Last edited by Behemoth; 03-21-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

If you gain ten pounds and start looking fluffy, then lose 5 of them.

It is rather amusing watching my reps and weight go up so much after stressing out about it for so long. When you go up in lifting ability more than the weight you actually gain, that is very gratifying. I was sure all the body fat gained would be going right back to the stomach area, but it seems to be more evenly distributed. I just thank whatever heavenly figure that may be out there that I don't get the "fat face" anymore. Oh my god, that little waddle of chin fat I used to have. Made me wanna puke. Fat... love/hate relationship...

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    I've dieted in circumstances where I've continued to fill out for several weeks coming out of the cut simply because my muscles were so depleted. That could certainly be described as muscles "hiding".
    I definitely agree. I was more or less thinking in OP's context.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."