The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help understanding the HCT program

I read the article I gathered the 6+2+2+2 you do 6 reps to ramp up to something you can do 6 times barely then 2 reps of that weight break 2 reps break 2 reps and do 3 sets of this? Maybe I am confusing myself but is this correct?

I'm somewhat new to lifting before I never really followed a routine any help will be appreciated

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your understanding is correct. You work your way up to a hard set of 6 reps, rack the bar and wait as long as it takes to get 2 more reps (he says this is 3-60 sec. for most people), rack the weight again and do 2 more reps, wait, and then try to get 2 final reps.

Read also the parts about autoregulation and progression.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Your understanding is correct. You work your way up to a hard set of 6 reps, rack the bar and wait as long as it takes to get 2 more reps (he says this is 3-60 sec. for most people), rack the weight again and do 2 more reps, wait, and then try to get 2 final reps.

Read also the parts about autoregulation and progression.
    I feel like the first 6 reps are somewhat difficult as I get further in sets I can barely finish the last set of 6 reps. am i not waiting long enough in between reps?

I'm confused about what part you are having trouble with?

I did notice one thing I missed yesterday, you only work up to one very difficult set of 6 +2+2+2. In other words, let's say you ramp up to 200 lbs for 6 reps and you can barely get the 6. You then rack the weight and rest long enough to do 2 more reps, rest again and get 2 more reps, and then rest again for a final 2 reps. Once that top set is finished you are done. So, the last set will be the first time it is very hard to get 6 reps with the chosen load. Does that make sense?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I'm confused about what part you are having trouble with?

I did notice one thing I missed yesterday, you only work up to one very difficult set of 6 +2+2+2. In other words, let's say you ramp up to 200 lbs for 6 reps and you can barely get the 6. You then rack the weight and rest long enough to do 2 more reps, rest again and get 2 more reps, and then rest again for a final 2 reps. Once that top set is finished you are done. So, the last set will be the first time it is very hard to get 6 reps with the chosen load. Does that make sense?
    I was benching today and started at 135 6 times was to easy so I upped it then did that 6 times upped it again then did that 6 times until I got to 225 which I did 6 times but struggled to finish then I rested and did 2 rest 2 rest 2. Then I repeated 225 6 more times 2 rest 2 rest 2 rest then one more set for a combined reps of 36 at 225? Is this not how its supposed to be done?
    Last edited by RinkerxX; 04-01-2013 at 11:09 PM.

No you would stop here;
    Quote Originally Posted by RinkerxX View Post
    I was benching today and started at 135 6 times was to easy so I upped it then did that 6 times upped it again then did that 6 times until I got to 225 which I did 6 times but struggled to finish then I rested and did 2 rest 2 rest 2
    And then move onto your next exercise. You would not repeat your final set 3 times.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by geordie1986 View Post
    No you would stop here;
    And then move onto your next exercise. You would not repeat your final set 3 times.
    Alright I got it Idk why I was confused lol