The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training with tendonitis

Alright, I posted before about problems I've had. The chest/sternum problem was solved by doing bench presses instead of dips. The forearm is definitely tendonitis according to my doctor. He said that I should (As was advised in the other thread) to avoid putting any strain on my left arm. He thought it was weird that it would be my left arm since I'm right-handed (Does this really matter?).

Unfortunately, the medicine in this country sucks. I have my family ship me extra-strength NSAIDS (As well as other medicine when needed). The doctor told me to take the medicine during the day if it impedes my ability to work. The thing is, it doesn't. The pain is only there in the gym and only noticeably painful when doing any kind of curl (I love hammer curls). Doing chin-ups or rows brings out a dull pain, something I can handle. By the time I'm out of the gym and on my way to work or home, the pain is not there anymore.

So...how have you guys tackled this issue? Should I be looking at a month of leg work only? Are there any full-body routines that DON'T have me using a tight grip on a bar or other piece of equipment?

Also, I'm wondering about the NSAID/protein synthesis issue I've read (A little) about. Does anyone have any decent information on this and possibly other remedies to deal with the pain in and out of the gym...although out of the gym I don't find it bothersome. In fact, if I'm out of the gym 4 days in a row, I would say I DON'T have tendonitis...until I pick up a dumbbell or barbell to curl. Then the pain hits strong.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I had tendonitis in my left shoulder from overuse.
    Had cortisone shot, physio, nothing helped.

Just went away on it's own after doing nothing for a year.

Rest.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Wannabebig Member
    I've heard a good saying one time: "If it hurts, don't do it"

Just do the movements that you can do without any pain and you should be fine. Stop curling!

I would lay off it for a while. I would also consult a chiro about it, something could be out of position. You could use this time to put some good size on your quads, hams, and calves.

Matt

The issue comes from overuse and its pretty common. Mine flares up usually 1-2 times a year. Not sure if you have an ART practitioner where you're at but that is the best solution as they can dig out the forearm help realease the muscle from pinching the nerves in the forearm. If you don't have an ART guy around get a deep tissue massage. You absolutely want to avoid anything that causes pain or it will just get worse.

Stretch the forearm 2-3 times a day and hold the stretches for at least 60 sec. Also try using straps so you do not have to grip the weights as much which will allow your forearm to rest, but again if it causes pain don't do it. Give it at least 4-5 weeks, but I would still continue to use straps for a while.

Thanks for all the advice.

No ART guys here. I will ask my chiropractor to look into some of their techniques if possible. He's good that way.

I am taking this week off. Decided to do some stair climbing in my building instead just to keep myself active. No pressure on my arms. I will use straps at the gym, I have been for a while. Also been doing the forearm stretches along with my regular stretches.

I'm back in the gym Monday. I'll see where I'm at then and adjust accordingly.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Wannabebig Member
    Why fuck up years when you can take some time off?

See a good PT when you can. Train hard now, just avoid anything that causes inflammation.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAdviceMan View Post
    See a good PT when you can. Train hard now, just avoid anything that causes inflammation.
    This. PT > Chiroquackery
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I've been dealing with tendonitis since I started powerlifting about 6 years ago. ice, ibuprofen and rest are all that have ever worked for me.

And Alex, while there are certainly a lot of chiros that are quacks, there are also some very good ones, including a guy I see who was recommended by my sports medicine doctor.

btw I get very bad tendonitis in my biceps from low-bar squatting. it took me a while to realize it was from the squatting. so the cause may not always be as obvious as you think. light curls actually help keep the tendonitis at bay for me.

Wannabebig Member
    I use Graston Technique for basically all my elbow/forearm patients (I am a PT). It is a manual technique that utilizes tools instead of hand pressure (ie ART). There lots of suitable knockoffs out there as well that you could look into SASTM, ASTYM, etc. If you don't have access to any of those treatments I would still try and do some manual soft tissue work on yourself. Get a tennis ball (of better yet a lacrosse ball) and dig in the area for about 5 minutes. Then stretch all of the forearm out, then do some light high rep forearm exercises. This sequence seems to work best in my opinion.

California: We are here to clean HOUSE!!!
    Not to high jack your thread TS but I figured I would post my question here instead of starting a new one. So recently when doing any press for chest or military press for shoulders, I noticed an annoying pain in my left anterior delt. I tried long warm ups and it still didn't help. I finally went to an orthopedist and he said I have artheoarthritis in my shoulder. He says anti inflamms and ice would help but I should probably stop military presses. As for the pain during bench he suggested narrowing my grip during my presses. Tomorrow is chest day so I will find out if it works. My concern is with the no military presses. Is there something else I can use to build mass in my shoulders since I can't use presses?
    " I am the Emperor Fabolous!"

"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

"I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less."

"You piss me off you Salmon... You're too expensive in restaurants"

Barrelofmonkeys,

Are you doing you shoulder press with a barbell or dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bryduck View Post
    Barrelofmonkeys,

Are you doing you shoulder press with a barbell or dumbbells.
    Prior to the pain I would alternate between them.

Video

Do you do you shoulder presses like this? If not give them a try and see if they cause you pain. You could also take this time to really build up you medial and posterior delts.

Matt

Very cool, I will definitely try it on shoulder day. Thanks for the help Matt I appreciate it greatly.