The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Looking for a belt

I have been lifting regularly for about 5 or so years, and I've never really given much thought to wearing a belt. Compared to the majority of this site I'm probably not considered strong, but I am finding a bunch of back issues lately after squatting heavy (heavy for me, that is) and deadlifting. I threw a belt on during deadlifting yesterday (just a BS belt they had there) and it seemed to help but I kept blowing the damn thing open (just a velcro strap). I want to invest in a quality piece, something that won't come open on me half way through a pull. I've done some research and it seems like a 10mm will be good for me. What confuses me slightly is the size. I'd say right now my waist is about 36, and my weight fluctuates considerable. I tend to diet throughout the year and right now I have a pregnant girlfriend so dieting is just impossible (she eats EVERYTHING!). So I'm probably going to bulk for the next few months, so my waist can jump to about 38 or so, then down to around 32-34 when I decid to diet. Is there a recommended belt that'll grow-shrink with me?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First off make sure you are measuring around your belly where you will wear the belt. I have two inzer 13mm lever belts. I have a large which I bought when I was about 36" and it fit all the way up to 42" plus and fit smaller than the 36" easily, I also bought a XXL belt recently and measured something like 45" and I've still got tons of room to get bigger although i don't plan to. I imagine I will be back in the large by later this year if I stick to my goals. Inzer has a size chart, but there are plenty of holes in the belt to exceed each direction, also you can return it within I think 2 weeks and get a different size. Something to think about, but they aren't the only option, plenty of choices out there.

Keep in mind if you are having pain squatting and deadlifting you don't want to band aid it with a belt to cover up the pain. You should figure out what you are doing wrong and correct it.

A belt should help create better trunk/core stability. So if that helped with the pain, is that saying something about your core? Or maybe the feel of the belt helped you keep better position and hence didn't overextend or overflex the lower back when deadlifting or squatting.

Inzer makes a sturdy belt. Others are fan's of Best Belts.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    First off make sure you are measuring around your belly where you will wear the belt. I have two inzer 13mm lever belts. I have a large which I bought when I was about 36" and it fit all the way up to 42" plus and fit smaller than the 36" easily, I also bought a XXL belt recently and measured something like 45" and I've still got tons of room to get bigger although i don't plan to. I imagine I will be back in the large by later this year if I stick to my goals. Inzer has a size chart, but there are plenty of holes in the belt to exceed each direction, also you can return it within I think 2 weeks and get a different size. Something to think about, but they aren't the only option, plenty of choices out there.
    I had been thinking about that belt, in large. I appreciate the size info, looks like a large is exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    Or maybe the feel of the belt helped you keep better position and hence didn't overextend or overflex the lower back when deadlifting or squatting.

Inzer makes a sturdy belt. Others are fan's of Best Belts.
    I'll be completely honest, I don't know why the belt helped. I am pretty confident that my deadlift form is good. I am fairly confident that my squat form is not. I'm 6'4 and when I start to get low I find myself leaning forward. I also have a fucked up knee. The belt seems to keep me inline? Usually around three plates shit starts to go south. I squatted yesterday and was able to go to 4 with no problems. I liked the fact that my belly had something to push against, it's just the junk belt they have here is no good.

I'm no expert. I tend to fumble my way through this stuff. I might actually make progress if I start learning the right way to do this shit!