Thread: Diet soda alternative

Diet soda alternative

I drink a half a gallon to a gallon of water during the day and training. However, in the evening I drink diet soda like I am trying to win a contest (prob a 2l bottle a night). Just love it, always have.

I have been on a bit of a healthier kick. Just don't want to put all those extra chemicals in my body everyday. So today I got a bottle of sodium free club soda, a lemon, and some stevia. I know it can be argued that stevia is not natural because of how it is extracted, but it's certainly closer to natural than artificial sweeteners.

I am pleased to say it is a really good alternative. In addition, adding lemon into my diet is good for a number of reasons. I may just have kicked the habit.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I drink a half a gallon to a gallon of water during the day and training. However, in the evening I drink diet soda like I am trying to win a contest (prob a 2l bottle a night). Just love it, always have.

I have been on a bit of a healthier kick. Just don't want to put all those extra chemicals in my body everyday. So today I got a bottle of sodium free club soda, a lemon, and some stevia. I know it can be argued that stevia is not natural because of how it is extracted, but it's certainly closer to natural than artificial sweeteners.

I am pleased to say it is a really good alternative. In addition, adding lemon into my diet is good for a number of reasons. I may just have kicked the habit.
    While there is delicious goodness in that combination, it is missing one very important ingredient that is key to my overall status---- caffiene.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

Nothing to add other than

I am addicted to Diet Mountain Dew. I can easily go through a 2 liter per day.

unsweet tea with splenda or other sweetener.

water with crystal light

diet soda, even tho it has no sugar it still has a lot of sodium
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post

diet soda, even tho it has no sugar it still has a lot of sodium
    Why do you avoid sodium?
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

If you don't want to eat artificial sweeteners, that's fine, its your call. But there is 0 scientific evidence that they are bad for you. They only proved down side to diet soda, or any acidic drink is that it bad for tooth enamel.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

I drink 3 or 4 diet dr pepper's per day, but I drink at least a gallon of water during the earlier hrs in the day.

I've switched over to flavored seltzer and unsweetened green tea. They don't taste as good as soda, but at least they have more flavor than water. Something about diet soda makes me feel like ish now that I'm getting older.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

I down a gallon and a half of water a day with crystal lite in it. I just can't drink that much plain water, the sweetener makes it bearable. I usually have a diet Pepsi for dinner
    Take a look at my journal, keep me on the right path: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-5-3-1-Journal

What Larry said. Nothing harmful in diet soda.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by krazylarry View Post
    If you don't want to eat artificial sweeteners, that's fine, its your call. But there is 0 scientific evidence that they are bad for you. They only proved down side to diet soda, or any acidic drink is that it bad for tooth enamel.
    I hear you on that one. Limiting processed foods has helped me my body composition and health. I figured less chemicals in my drinks certainly won't hurt me. It also puts me in a healthier mindset.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Isn't there evidence that suggest diet soda or artificial sweetener still causes insulin spikes? Or is that total bullshit?
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    Isn't there evidence that suggest diet soda or artificial sweetener still causes insulin spikes? Or is that total bullshit?
    When injected into a solution containing rat pancreatic cells, yes.

So if you're a rat and want to inject diet coke into your pancreas, I would advise you ahead of time that this may hinder weight loss.

Otherwise, no.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Mats183,

Yes, it's called diabetes.

lol.

Last edited by FearFactory; 04-12-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Mats- Honestly, there are no documented side effects to ANY of them- saccharin, sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame-K, and stevia are all GRAS- no carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, or any -genic effects, no impact on insulin, nada... they're all relatively inert compounds, particularly at the small doses consumed in most diet products. I'd worry less about the sweeteners than the other ingredients in many of these foods and beverages.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Mats- Honestly, there are no documented side effects to ANY of them- saccharin, sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame-K, and stevia are all GRAS- no carcinogenic, mutagenic, teratogenic, or any -genic effects, no impact on insulin, nada... they're all relatively inert compounds, particularly at the small doses consumed in most diet products. I'd worry less about the sweeteners than the other ingredients in many of these foods and beverages.
    Hey Alex I was curious if you know why they tell MS patients to not drink diet sodas? Or is that all bullshit?

It is bullshit, man. The MS foundation even debunked this specifically (Look up the official response from Dr. Squillacote back in '99). No physician makes that recommendation- this is actually a myth so old you can find it on snopes.

club soda with lemon is definitely a million times better than diet soda. Diet soda is probably one of the worst things to consume. Just stick with water with lemon.
    Checkout the latest 2013 supplement reviews, fresh new workouts, workout motivation at: WorkoutZilla.com